Xbox360 Audio Assistance.

K

keptclose

Audiophyte
I've recently purchased a surround sound theater for my home, and am attempting to connect my Xbox 360 to it. Unfortunately everything I try, fails.

Type of TV: Sanyo 46" Class Full-HD 1080p LCD HDTV with Digital Tuner, DP46848
Surround Sound System: Samsung HT-TZ512T
Xbox 360: Standard Unit

The only cables I currently have are the standard cables that came with the Xbox360 (the dual AUX and DMI Cables), and the HDMI cable I use to connect the Surround Sound System to my TV.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Are you connecting the Xbox audio directly to the surround sound unit, or are you trying to route it through the TV?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I've recently purchased a surround sound theater for my home, and am attempting to connect my Xbox 360 to it. Unfortunately everything I try, fails.

Type of TV: Sanyo 46" Class Full-HD 1080p LCD HDTV with Digital Tuner, DP46848
Surround Sound System: Samsung HT-TZ512T
Xbox 360: Standard Unit

The only cables I currently have are the standard cables that came with the Xbox360 (the dual AUX and DMI Cables), and the HDMI cable I use to connect the Surround Sound System to my TV.
Are you using a receiver to hook up your surround system through HDMI for DD 5.1 sound? If so what is the model of the receiver. Some older entry level receivers that have HDMI do not pass the audio via HDMI just the video.

K

keptclose

Audiophyte
Are you connecting the Xbox audio directly to the surround sound unit, or are you trying to route it through the TV?

I have tried plugging it directly to the Surround Sound Unit, and I have tried plugging the DMI Cables (Blue, Green, Red) into the TV and the AUX Cables (Red and White) into the Surround Sound Unit. The former combination has no effect, and the latter produces quality out of only the Right Front Speaker.

I'm not sure what you mean by routing it through my TV. If I plug my Xbox in to the TV through the DMI/AUX combination, it only produces sound through the TV's internal speakers.

Are you using a receiver to hook up your surround system through HDMI for DD 5.1 sound? If so what is the model of the receiver. Some older entry level receivers that have HDMI do not pass the audio via HDMI just the video.
The reciever info should be in the Surround Sound Unit link. Otherwise, I'm not using anything else but what I stated.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
You need to buy another cable!

The blue red and green cables are component video, and have no relevance to the sound out put off the Xbox. The red and white cables are simple analog stereo cables and only carry a stereo signal…L/R channels.

If you want discreet 5.1 surround out of your 360 you are going to need an optical cable to connect it to your system, since you do not have any HDMI inputs.

K

keptclose

Audiophyte
Is that the only way to get the audio from my Xbox to the surround sound?

Does the Xbox even have an optical input?

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Does the cable provided with your 360 look like this?

The optical out is located at the base of the cable where it plugs into the back of the 360. Here is a picture.

This is the only way to get discreet 5.1, other than HDMI which isn't an option with your equipment.

Last edited:
K

keptclose

Audiophyte
Aha! I do in fact have that, and never noticed that particular input.

Can you recomend a particular optical cable, or are they all pretty much the same?

Also, in concordance with that, will I still need to hook up the interface cables (red/blue/green,ect.) after I hook the optical cable from the xbox to the surround sound unit?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

Can you recomend a particular optical cable, or are they all pretty much the same?

Also, in concordance with that, will I still need to hook up the interface cables (red/blue/green,ect.) after I hook the optical cable from the xbox to the surround sound unit?
They are all the same.

Monoprice.com has them for wholesale cost. And they are very tough cables.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief

The red, blue and green cables are component video, and they need to be hooked up somewhere to get a picture to your display.

You can run them to your display and then change inputs on your TV when you want to play the 360, or you could run them to your Samsung System and change the source from there.

The remaining cables will be left unused.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis