M

mduda

Audiophyte
I was wondering do your PS3 freeze ups happen while playing PS2 games? Just wondering because there are supposedly around 200 PS2 games that are not fully compatible to play on PS3. I have yet to have a freeze up while playing a PS3 game or watching a Blu-ray movie.
Never had a problem with a PS2 game, but a freeze up did happen a few times while playing Resistance:Fall of Man. A shame, since the game is a lot of multiplayer fun! Have you heard of any software issues with this game?

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
Small update on my 360. For the last 3+ weeks, I have not had a freeze up or anything. It has ran supurb.

I hope I don't jinx myself.

I did remove the electronics from the shelf below it and reorganized my stuff, it now can't be any more well ventilated unless I put it outside. :p

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Add me to the list of Xbox 360 owners whose unit suffered complete failure after only a few months of usage. Now I have to deal with Microsoft on getting a replacement unit. This sucks :mad:

That stinks - I did get that Cooler unit that straps onto the back - maybe that will help so it doesn't overheat (heat seems to be the culprit from everything I've read).

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
That stinks - I did get that Cooler unit that straps onto the back - maybe that will help so it doesn't overheat (heat seems to be the culprit from everything I've read).

Which cooler unit did you get specifically?

The Nyko one will "burn" right to the back of the 360...it has happened to MANY Nyko fan owners...I've read a ton of horror stories. If you have it placed in a area where it can ventialte properly without sucking in already 'hot' air, you should be fine.

Here is a pic of what the Nyko can do, AND it does this to people that haven't experience any obvious issues with their 360's while it has been connected to it...until they check the connection in back. Some have been unable to get it off the back of the 360...it melted on.

Here is just one forum thread (of many) on the Nyko intercooler...
Xbox Forums

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Which cooler unit did you get specifically?

The Nyko one will "burn" right to the back of the 360...it has happened to MANY Nyko fan owners...I've read a ton of horror stories. If you have it placed in a area where it can ventialte properly without sucking in already 'hot' air, you should be fine.

Here is a pic of what the Nyko can do, AND it does this to people that haven't experience any obvious issues with their 360's while it has been connected to it...until they check the connection in back. Some have been unable to get it off the back of the 360...it melted on.

Here is just one forum thread (of many) on the Nyko intercooler...
Xbox Forums
That's scary... I think I'm gonna go home and take mine off and check it out.

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
XBOX Problems

I got my XBOX 360 for Christmas, after only five months the thing broke on me. I have the unit on the top of my component rack, underneath it is my DVD player, underneath that is my CD Player, then my reciever is underneath that. In other words i do not feel that heat was a problem. I use my system for no more than two hours in one day, somedays i do not even use it. I am fairly furstrated with what has occured and then I had to deal with microsoft's help line. When i brought my broken xbox 360 into the UPS store to ship out the guy at the counter said "oh you need to ship back your xbox". I asked him how he knew, he said that they get at least one in a day to be shipped back, some times as many as five. Wow microsoft what is going on. Has anyone heard of the PS3s being repaired that often??

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
The 360 is notorious for overheating and breaking down. Since the ps3 came out nearly a year later sony was careful abou the situation and filled the thing with quiet a few extra fans, which is very nice. The xbox has the worst track record of any console, I know three seperate people who have had theirs replaced. They are the only three people I know with 360's and one of them had theirs for only two weeks.

PS3s still occasionally have problems, but it is not close as common with the majority of overheating units being display units kept in confined areas and on playing games most all the time.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
From my understanding, the PS3 is a pretty well built piece of equipment and the issues people have are well in line with consoles historically. The 360, on the other hand, already owns the "worst made console" title, imo.

I enjoy playing my 360...but the freezes I got last week again angered me into a break from using it for the last 10 days or so...this is rediculous.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
OK. So it's been a little bit since I turned my 360 on...the last freeze while playing Oblivion irked me as I hadn't saved in a little bit, so I turned it off and left it off.

So, last night I popped in MLB2k7. Top of the 2nd inning...freeze.

WTF?!?!

I've had it now for about 5 and a half months...and I swear, it has frozen on me about 30 times. I'm not kidding. From the first freeze within a couple days of playing it until now...what is with it? Only freezes during gameplay, not when I'm listening to music through it or downloading stuff or chatting.

My launch PS2 runs like new compared to it. I think in March my 360 ran pretty well...that was the only string of reliability I've had with it.

Very frustrating.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
It probably freezes during gameplay due to overheating since it takes far more processing power to run a game versus a song.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
It probably freezes during gameplay due to overheating since it takes far more processing power to run a game versus a song.
Overheating after being on for a grand total of 6 minutes in an air-conditioned house and not a piece of equipment within 5 inches of it and plenty of space around the vents to allow for easy passthrough of air?

The freezes happen at completely random times AND I usually try to reset the console and continue playing for a while with no other issue that play-session...it's just recently I've grown tired and impatient and have just shut it off after a freeze.

My 5 year old PC that runs like crap still runs better than my 360...

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
OK, it's been a week so last night I popped in my MLB2K7 into my 360 to play a game with my Brew Crew. The disc is immaculate, no dust, no scratches.

I am crushing the Pirates, in the top of the 8th, I go to warm up a reliever...I select D-Bow and the game freezes...and freezes...tick tock, tick tock...I'm saying the usual, "WTF, not AGAIN!"...my wife shousts, from the other room, "it didn't get stuck again did it?"...I don't respond, I just say "F***!".

I haven't been able to play through a full game of baseball for 4 games now.

It wasn't hot. It only locks up when I'm playing a disc, not an arcade or demo game. There HAS to be a faulty lens in my 360.

Tonight I'm gonna pop in one of my basketball games and play, but it has frozen up on both of those before too...

I don't want to have to go through the headaches of dealing with MS's shytti customer service, but I am beginning to think I won't be able to avoid it.

Between the over-heating and the constant freezes that ALOT of 360 people are dealing with, how is there not a recall on this yet?

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
There are no recalls because they provide more bad press than needed and no one is getting hurt from this so they can get away with just having people call in and replacing them more discretely.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
There are no recalls because they provide more bad press than needed and no one is getting hurt from this so they can get away with just having people call in and replacing them more discretely.

This is true and valid if it isn't a major issue...but it has become major and it is being picked up in the press (at least it is starting too), I don't remember off-hand, I'll try to find it, but I came accross a financial publication talking about the issues of the 360 and the costs MS is enduring fixing so many faulty 360's and how it is affecting their bottom line when they were already losing money on each console to begin with.

If this can get mainstreamed (360 owners need to start contacting the newsmedia with emails/calls about their experiences with MS's 360) I do believe a recall will be done...that is a big "IF" though...

K

kaseaman

Junior Audioholic
This is exactly what My 360 was doing before it stated showing the red ring of death. Then the real fun begins, dealing with the customer support hot line. Just return it for a refund and get a PS3 that is what I did.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis