WOW the Emotiva T3+ looks impressive!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Emotiva makes too many mistakes to be taken seriously.
I like to give everybody a chance... But they keep taking one step forward 1,2 steps back. :p

Maybe they'll get it right in the newer speakers... that silly C3+ aside.
The only way I'd even think about the C3+ is if you could wall mount it vertical if it measures well in a vertical position. I'm just curious about the T3+ because if it measures as well as Erin measured the T2+ it would be a great bargain speaker for some of our members that just are on a tighter budget.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The only way I'd even think about the C3+ is if you could wall mount it vertical if it measures well in a vertical position. I'm just curious about the T3+ because if it measures as well as Erin measured the T2+ it would be a great bargain speaker for some of our members that just are on a tighter budget.
You'd have to be able to rotate the AMT 90º. In that regard, they are very much like ribbons and their orientation is meant to be specific.

;)

I do get where you are coming from in regards to good performance at a lower cost. We've seen a few good speakers show up lately that aren't going to break the bank and will perform at a level that is seemingly above their price class.

I still can't get behind Klipsch. And of course, the new JBL Studio 6 is not going to be the same value as the Studio 5 lineup (until they start running sales a few years down the road).

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You'd have to be able to rotate the AMT 90º. In that regard, they are very much like ribbons and their orientation is meant to be specific.

;)

I do get where you are coming from in regards to good performance at a lower cost. We've seen a few good speakers show up lately that aren't going to break the bank and will perform at a level that is seemingly above their price class.

I still can't get behind Klipsch. And of course, the new JBL Studio 6 is not going to be the same value as the Studio 5 lineup (until they start running sales a few years down the road).
I can't help but wonder if the Studio 6 lineup will ever come to the States

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I can't help but wonder if the Studio 6 lineup will ever come to the States
It is.
Supposed to be available in June or July, but delayed due to shipping issues I think it was.
They are up on the JBL US site, just not for sale yet. ;)

Soon.

I really want to compare them to the HDIs. Especially the Studio 698 to the HDI 3800.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It is.
Supposed to be available in June or July, but delayed due to shipping issues I think it was.

Soon.

I really want to compare them to the HDIs. Especially the Studio 698 to the HDI 3800.
Oh wow thats great news!!! Thanks for the heads up! I've always been excited about that lineup!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It is.

Soon.

I would love to compare the 698 to the 3800
Erin and Shady both measured the 3800 I think Audio Science Review did too. It would be awesome if any of them measured the 698 as well!

K

kini

Full Audioholic
C3 and C2 reminds me of this likely disaster. Though I could not find any measurements.
1659642460154.png

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
I've heard the RF7iii's they are indeed awesome.
I bet you had a lot of fun with them
They’re some of the best for HT use for sure. Rc64III aside. Unless you’re sitting dead center.

Aside from that, there’s been several speakers I’ve preferred over them thus far. SVS ultra series, Polk legends, paradigm founders were awesome too. Only thing i don’t care for is the integrated amps for the bass drivers on the founder series. Didn’t like def tech for that same reason.

B

Boomzilla

Audioholic Intern
Wow - lots of people here wanting to pontificate about the Emotiva T3+ speakers without ever having heard them…. Obviously, the things aren’t time coherent, and they only come in ugly black. With 8” woofers (even three of them), they’re not made for 100 dB plus stadium sound.

That said, at living room levels, the generous cone area should minimize excursion and provide low intermodulation excursion. Emotiva has lowered their sensitivity claim to just over 90 dB / 1w / 1m which should be more realistic. Actually, I think they traded sensitivity for lower bass extension (22 Hz), which means that these speakers really won’t need a subwoofer. Considering that savings, the T3+ price becomes even more reasonable.

I’d also argue against characterizing Emotiva as a “bargain basement” manufacturer. Their products are manufactured in China, but they usually offer a high performance to price ratio.

I’d like to hear the T3+ speakers and until then, I’ll withhold judgement.

Boomzilla - aka Glenn Young - Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity website

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Wow - lots of people here wanting to pontificate about the Emotiva T3+ speakers without ever having heard them…. Obviously, the things aren’t time coherent, and they only come in ugly black. With 8” woofers (even three of them), they’re not made for 100 dB plus stadium sound.

That said, at living room levels, the generous cone area should minimize excursion and provide low intermodulation excursion. Emotiva has lowered their sensitivity claim to just over 90 dB / 1w / 1m which should be more realistic. Actually, I think they traded sensitivity for lower bass extension (22 Hz), which means that these speakers really won’t need a subwoofer. Considering that savings, the T3+ price becomes even more reasonable.

I’d also argue against characterizing Emotiva as a “bargain basement” manufacturer. Their products are manufactured in China, but they usually offer a high performance to price ratio.

Boomzilla - aka Glenn Young - Senior Editor, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity website
Couldn't agree more... Haters gonna hate.....

Personally I own one Emotiva product that has served me well over the years and is still doing me a service, The Fusion 8100.
I've learned there are allot of audio snobs (no offense to any audio snobs :) ) on here hate or dislike Emotiva and personally to each there own. Am I right?

If you are happy with some budget level whatever, then that's fine. I'm sure there are much better products out there that I could spend double or triple the amount to get a better sound. Or perhaps even at the same amount of money. I know there are people on here that have a bad taste to Emotiva for what they've dealt with and I get that but not everyone's dealt with that.
I'm sure there are allot of companies out in the world that tend to get lemons. It happens. I don't care the company, IT happens. Maybe some more than others but still.

I'm happy with my Emotiva receiver and GR-Research center channel as of right now. And I'm sure I'll be ridiculed for owning either product and I'm fine with that. Again, I am happy with them and that's what counts. I look forward to what Emotiva and GR-Research will continue to put out and most likely will be purchasing from them again. And If I'm served with Lemons, well then I'll make lemonade and continue on with my venture.

Anywho my two cents.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

There are issues with the design choices made that well-known, if that is what you mean by pontification. Here is post #5 in this thread:

>>>One potential problem I see with this speaker is the tweeter looks to be mounted a bit high. With an AMT nested in an MTM design, that could be a problem. The reason is that AMTs tend to have a fairly narrow vertical dispersion, so you mostly want to be seated with them at ear height. What is more, the MTM design is going to cause cancellation in the vertical off-axis response that might only leave a 15-degree window where there is not a major suckout. What we need to know is the height of the tweeter and the vertical beamwidth.
<<<

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There are reasons some of us are more cautious in our view of Emo. The fact is they do some stuff OK, but not everything great. That's the tradeoff in doing too much.

Here is a look at Erin's review of the B2+... yes a previous iteration, but the spin alone tells a story that isn't all that flattering.

I'm content with my cautious optimism that they may produce a good Speaker. Yet until I see good third party measurements, I won't even think of recommending anything, much less considering taking it for a spin myself.

B

Boomzilla

Audioholic Intern
There are issues with the design choices made that well-known, if that is what you mean by pontification. Here is post #5 in this thread:

>>>One potential problem I see with this speaker is the tweeter looks to be mounted a bit high. With an AMT nested in an MTM design, that could be a problem. The reason is that AMTs tend to have a fairly narrow vertical dispersion, so you mostly want to be seated with them at ear height. What is more, the MTM design is going to cause cancellation in the vertical off-axis response that might only leave a 15-degree window where there is not a major suckout. What we need to know is the height of the tweeter and the vertical beamwidth.
<<<
It’s true. Vertical MTM arrays aren’t good with broad vertical dispersion. If you want to be in the sweet spot, you either tilt the speaker to put your ears on the tweeter axis or else you raise your seating. But there are advantages also to limited vertical dispersion - floor & ceiling reflections are minimized. Since many don’t have carpet, and almost nobody has ceiling treatment, I wouldn’t necessarily call the MTM tweeter a “bad design choice.”

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Well, measurements on the B2+ are out, so now I'm curious how the C3 and T3 perform since they're likely all using similar components.

Then again at $2k (basically) a pair for the T3's, they compete with a lot of $2k/pair towers out there. So I'm really curious how they actually perform and sound since there's real competition in that range and up.

Still quite interested in the C3 merely due to its size. I just love a huge center. I just worry because my theater has 5 seats normally, 6 when I push it, and so I care about horizontal performance from a center.

Very best,

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Still quite interested in the C3 merely due to its size. I just love a huge center. I just worry because my theater has 5 seats normally, 6 when I push it, and so I care about horizontal performance from a center.
It’s going to have all the flaws common to horizontal alignment of so many drivers.
Revel has shown that you can 4 woofs well as long as you do the tm in the middle.
This just feels like another center gimmick.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Well, measurements on the B2+ are out, so now I'm curious how the C3 and T3 perform since they're likely all using similar components.

Then again at $2k (basically) a pair for the T3's, they compete with a lot of $2k/pair towers out there. So I'm really curious how they actually perform and sound since there's real competition in that range and up.

Very best,
I'd take Kef Q950s all day everyday over any Emotiva tower. But, I like my Kefs. They do things in my room that no other speaker I've tried does. Once you experience the massive soundstage that Kefs provide (in my room) there is no way I'd ever go back to a speaker with such a limited listening area such as the Emos.

Floor and ceiling reflections can be used for an advantage if the speaker is designed properly. IMO of course. YMMV.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'd take Kef Q950s all day everyday over any Emotiva tower. But, I like my Kefs. They do things in my room that no other speaker I've tried does. Once you experience the massive soundstage that Kefs provide (in my room) there is no way I'd ever go back to a speaker with such a limited listening area such as the Emos.

Floor and ceiling reflections can be used for an advantage if the speaker is designed properly. IMO of course. YMMV.
The Q950s sounded way better than I expected compared to some other speakers at that price point (in 2018). Part of me would like to hear those KEFs again in a different environment than my first audition where I had some listening fatigue set in. I'm pretty certain they were toed in instead of perpendicular.
What really impressed me even more was the older R900. If I could find a pair today, I might actually buy at the right price if I were in the market.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis