WOW the Emotiva T3+ looks impressive!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well, I suppose their passive speakers wouldn't be subject to the bugginess in electronics and lack of long term support I was thinking of particularly :)
If they measure well we have another good budget speaker we can recommend to new members on a tighter budget we will just have to wait for the reviews

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They have my interest if that 94db spec turns out to be honest. Look forward to some reviews...
Went looking to see how they've fared with claims vs measurements. The T2 that Stereophile measured was claimed to be 91db, measured 90.3. It is odd Emotiva calls it efficiency when stated as a sensitivity spec. Erin measured a C1+ almost same as claimed, but about 3dB lower than claimed on the C2+. 94 would be good if it measures as such....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Went looking to see how they've fared with claims vs measurements. The T2 that Stereophile measured was claimed to be 91db, measured 90.3. It is odd Emotiva calls it efficiency when stated as a sensitivity spec. Erin measured a C1+ almost same as claimed, but about 3dB lower than claimed on the C2+. 94 would be good if it measures as such....
In the article I linked they posted 94db the C3+ and other new speakers just joined Emotivas website. Emotiva posts them as 92db so hopefully the numbers are accurate.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
92db seems more accurate and is still a good number if right

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
They look cool. If they sound like every other ribbon tweeter I’d have to pass. Never did care for the sound of them personally. Also, I’m wondering how the center channel would fair with off axis lobing…. I don’t get why they went back to an MTM design. That’s the very reason I sold my RC64III.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What's the 92 from, tho?
There website the original specs were from that article. There's a couple things that article said that Emotiva has different numbers on. So I'm just assuming emotivas specs on there website are the accurate numbers

K

kini

Full Audioholic
They look cool. If they sound like every other ribbon tweeter I’d have to pass. Never did care for the sound of them personally. Also, I’m wondering how the center channel would fair with off axis lobing…. I don’t get why they went back to an MTM design. That’s the very reason I sold my RC64III.
They don't have ribbon tweeters. Just some inexpensive (cheap) folded paper tweeters. And going by Erin's reviews the tweeters severely limit the maximum output. They compress and distort a lot at high volume. So, while the rest of the speaker looks to be able to achieve high output without a lot of distortion they're held back by the inexpensive (cheap) tweeter. They would be a hard pass if you have a large room with longer listening distances.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They don't have ribbon tweeters. Just some inexpensive (cheap) folded paper tweeters. And going by Erin's reviews the tweeters severely limit the maximum output. They compress and distort a lot at high volume. So, while the rest of the speaker looks to be able to achieve high output without a lot of distortion they're held back by the inexpensive (cheap) tweeter. They would be a hard pass if you have a large room with longer listening distances.
Hmmmm interesting Erin said output was limited but still very good up to some very loud listening levels. And he recommended them. He's a great tester and a lot of speakers bite the dust over there. I'll have to go back over his review and see that information your talking about that would be helpful to know

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
False advertisement on their end then. They specifically say they use folded ribbons. If that’s true, just another reason to stay clear of them.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
False advertisement on their end then. They specifically say they use folded ribbons. If that’s true, just another reason to stay clear of them.
Okay so I've regone over Erin's review whose work I hold very highly in regard.

Nowhere does he say it's just some cheap folded paper tweeter. And he would have called them out on that. There is compression at the tweeter as you rise above 102db of output but it's a $450 dollar speaker. What do you want? I think it's an authentic AMT.

Now is it on the level of the AMT my RBH SV-831R uses? Of course not. That tweeter is one of the best AMT's on the market and that tweeter alone costs almost more then the entire Emotiva speaker. 102db is pretty loud for most people. You want THX levels well of course your going to have pay more

Also he recommends this speaker pretty highly. That's high praise coming from him he takes his job being a critic seriously so him recommending this speakers says a lot

Here's the link see it for yourself. So I respect the feedback but the data doesn't seem to reflect the opinions of the last couple posts from what I can tell.

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Okay so I've regone over Erin's review whose work I hold very highly in regard.

Nowhere does he say it's just some cheap folded paper tweeter. And he would have called them out on that. There is compression at the tweeter as you rise above 102db of output but it's a $450 dollar speaker. What do you want? I think it's an authentic AMT.

Now is it on the level of the AMT my RBH SV-831R uses? Of course not. That tweeter is one of the best AMT's on the market and that tweeter alone costs almost more then the entire Emotiva speaker. 102db is pretty loud for most people. You want THX levels well of course your going to have pay more

Also he recommends this speaker pretty highly. That's high praise coming from him he takes his job being a critic seriously so him recommending this speakers says a lot

Here's the link see it for yourself. So I respect the feedback but the data doesn't seem to reflect the opinions of the last couple posts from what I can tell.

I figured it was folded ribbon. It doesn’t look like cheap paper from viewing it. I get it’s not gonna be top tier and with everything else you kinda get what you pay for…. Still, for me personally, i still wouldn’t take it based off of the style of tweeter. I’ve heard even golden ear tritons and although the mids were decent and bass very good Same goes for the elac vela I’ve demoed. The style of tweeter ruined it for me.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I figured it was folded ribbon. It doesn’t look like cheap paper from viewing it. I get it’s not gonna be top tier and with everything else you kinda get what you pay for…. Still, for me personally, i still wouldn’t take it based off of the style of tweeter. I’ve heard even golden ear tritons and although the mids were decent and bass very good Same goes for the elac vela I’ve demoed. The style of tweeter ruined it for me.
Yeah I love AMT's but I understand they are not for everyone. I totally love horn speakers too and I know a lot of people that can't get into those either. So I get where you are coming from

Ken32

Ken32

Full Audioholic
Yeah I love AMT's but I understand they are not for everyone. I totally love horn speakers too and I know a lot of people that can't get into those either. So I get where you are coming from
Tweeters i have come to really enjoy are Polks new ring radiator found in the legend line. I got a pair of L200s for free (thanks to a mishap caused by Polk) and they’re incredible sounding speakers in the upper, mid and bass. Also, I dig the svs ultra line. Especially for an aluminum dome. I don’t normally care for them. But they’ve done it right.

The new Klipsch RPmk2 speakers are also very nice sounding (especially being horn). Their crossover adjustment made the highs and mids better than previous (to my ears anyway)

I loved my RF7IIIs but the matching center was awful. Move ever so slightly to the left or right and lobing was very noticeable. It was annoying. I’ll never do an MTM center design again. Either 3 way or matching bookshelf or tower from now on.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
an inexpensive speaker that measures 'OK', seems to me they would have a place in someones HT set up. Serious 2 channel, of course not ......

K

kini

Full Audioholic
It's not a folded ribbon. I may have been a little wrong as to it being paper, "The AMT moves air laterally in a perpendicular motion using a metal-etched folded sheet made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) film." but it's still in inexpensive design not suited to high output.

For the price they're probably decent if you can get past their looks and questionable CS. Klipsch RP series when on sale and the JBL 500 series when on sale are both better overall buys.

I would be hesitant to buy anything from a company the puts out stuff like the C2+ and now the even more ridiculous C3. :rolleyes:

Based on those 2 speakers I have no faith that their engineering and design team have any clue as to what they're doing.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's not a folded ribbon. I may have been a little wrong as to it being paper, "The AMT moves air laterally in a perpendicular motion using a metal-etched folded sheet made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) film." but it's still in inexpensive design not suited to high output.

For the price they're probably decent if you can get past their looks and questionable CS. Klipsch RP series when on sale and the JBL 500 series when on sale are both better overall buys.

I would be hesitant to buy anything from a company the puts out stuff like the C2+ and now the even more ridiculous C3. :rolleyes:

Based on those 2 speakers I have no faith that their engineering and design team have any clue as to what they're doing.
AMTs can be very high output drivers, indeed some have found their way into live sound applications rivaling compression drivers in dynamic range. They can also be quite expensive. Don't dismiss AMTs just because it's a design type that can be found in very cheap speakers. AMTs can range greatly in quality and performance just like dome tweeters. When I see an AMT, I don't assume anything because I have had experience with superb AMTs but also janky ones. For example, the Aurum Cantus AMTs are excellent drivers by any metric.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Emotiva makes too many mistakes to be taken seriously.
I like to give everybody a chance... But they keep taking one step forward 1,2 steps back. :p

Maybe they'll get it right in the newer speakers... that silly C3+ aside.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
AMTs can be very high output drivers, indeed some have found their way into live sound applications rivaling compression drivers in dynamic range. They can also be quite expensive. Don't dismiss AMTs just because it's a design type that can be found in very cheap speakers. AMTs can range greatly in quality and performance just like dome tweeters. When I see an AMT, I don't assume anything because I have had experience with superb AMTs but also janky ones. For example, the Aurum Cantus AMTs are excellent drivers by any metric.
This.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Tweeters i have come to really enjoy are Polks new ring radiator found in the legend line. I got a pair of L200s for free (thanks to a mishap caused by Polk) and they’re incredible sounding speakers in the upper, mid and bass. Also, I dig the svs ultra line. Especially for an aluminum dome. I don’t normally care for them. But they’ve done it right.

The new Klipsch RPmk2 speakers are also very nice sounding (especially being horn). Their crossover adjustment made the highs and mids better than previous (to my ears anyway)

I loved my RF7IIIs but the matching center was awful. Move ever so slightly to the left or right and lobing was very noticeable. It was annoying. I’ll never do an MTM center design again. Either 3 way or matching bookshelf or tower from now on.
I've heard the RF7iii's they are indeed awesome.
I bet you had a lot of fun with them

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis