Would you recommend 7.1 or 5.1.2?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Should I go with atmos or rear surrounds? I am doing 5.1 right now but my AVR can handle both 7.1 and 5.1.2. What should I do?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you don't mind putting speakers in your ceiling I'd try the 5.1.2. I didn't want to mess with my ceiling for installation so I stayed with 7.1....and if I did mess with the ceiling install I'd put at least four speakers up there.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
In a smaller space, I would do 5.1.2 because it does give greater sense of immersion. When the room is larger, I find the 7.1 really does a great job with rolling sound around you well.

There's really no substitute for what Atmos ceiling speakers bring to the game, though there's limited content available to this point which really uses Atmos to maximum effect.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
My room is 23' x 12' x 7.5' with only 1 opening its a door which stays closed. Could I put the surround speakers for 7.1 up high near the ceiling pointing down? And behind me? Would that be considered large?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think your room is large enough to benefit from 7.1. Where is your seating in relation to the back wall?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
That's the right question. Many home theater setups don't have enough space behind the seats to make effective use of the rear speakers in a 7.1 system.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
The back wall is about 6' behind my couches. And then when atmos becomes more popular I could change to atmos?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
The 5.1 surround speakers are on the side walls at 4.5 feet high aiming downward 12 inches behind my head not aimed right at my head.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
6’ behind the couch is perfect for 7.1 but IMO 5.1.2 is going to be better.

RK_aus_S

RK_aus_S

Audiophyte
If I had the choice, I would prefer 5.1.2.
Be aware that the angle of the two ceiling speakers where they should be mounted is not the same as with a 5.1.4 system.
If you decide some day to expand to 5.1.4, you will have to rearange the two already mounted speakers.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s a tough call. The room would like 7.1 and atmos would be best in 5.1.4 or 7.1.4 so if you try 5.1.2 you will want to change your receiver to handle 5.1.4 or 7.1.4.... I’ll say 7.1 so you enjoy the current receiver for a few years.... :)

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
How do you setup the 5.1.4? Just curious.... I mean where are the placement of the speakers? What I mentioned before is good for 5.1.2 though right?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
How do you setup the 5.1.4? Just curious.... I mean where are the placement of the speakers? What I mentioned before is good for 5.1.2 though right?
With 4 height speakers there is a pair in front and behind the listening position. I was looking at RSL 34e that mount in the ceiling for my room but I haven’t decided for sure yet.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Something else I’ve seen consistently is basically make sure the atmos speakers (in x.x.4 anyways) are situated so when you draw a line diagonally from each corner the LP is centered. Another thing I’ve seen stated a lot is it’s harder to get atmos wrong than it is to get it right.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I looked at the pictures and why are the atmos speakers pointed straight forward and not pointed directly 3 feet ahead of LP. I thought I would do 3 feet ahead pointed straight sideways 3 feet ahead of the LP.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I looked at the pictures and why are the atmos speakers pointed straight forward and not pointed directly 3 feet ahead of LP. I thought I would do 3 feet ahead pointed straight sideways 3 feet ahead of the LP.
Which ones exactly? I think the pics are just for reference. Normally the Atmos speakers would be pointed straight down at the floor(if they have wide dispersion) or at the LP

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Which ones exactly? I think the pics are just for reference. Normally the Atmos speakers would be pointed straight down at the floor(if they have wide dispersion) or at the LP
Agreed. I'm curious as to what he means by "straight sideways"

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis