Would u get a hd-dvd now or later?

Is getting hd-dvd movies worth buying?

• Total voters
D

DDigitalguy06

Audioholic
Hmmm,would u get hd-dvd? or wait for the price drops lower on hd-dvd players?

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
I'll wait for ....

1 - The player prices to drop to < $200.
2 - A player that play both formats, Blu and HD.
3 - The HD movie selection to grow and sell at reasonable prices.

Until then regular DVD will do just fine. :)

Steve

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I'm gonna watch for a bit longer before I take the plunge.

JeffD2.

JeffD2.

Audioholic
I'll wait. I've seen too many posts about the Toshiba being sluggish (the bain of early adopters). I'll also wait for the format war to sort itself out as well as the price point.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I am not going to support a format war once again. One of these day the manufactures will realize that they work for the consumers (ha, I must be on drugs). Anyway, will wait till one wins or universals come out. Plus lower cost and MORE titles.

D

DDigitalguy06

Audioholic
Yup,sound's just right, I also gonna wait like everone els is.
But also hope hd-dvd wins. :D

C

ca_newbee

Audioholic Intern
Expected I would be in the Blu ray camp with the PS3 but Sony's giving HD-DVD a good head start in this format race

M

MAX661

Audioholic
May I ask why people want HD-DVD to win? Now dont consider me a Sony Fanboy... I already have the Toshiba HD-A1 and think it is awesome {just wish there was more flicks to watch now} but BluRay is the better technology so why are people routing for something inferior to win?

I mean blu-ray has more space, more studio backing, 1080p, etc etc... I guess people always choose the underdog.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Unlike my overzealous DVD collecting, I don't plan on owning more than a dozen or so High-Def titles. (Excluding the big 4 series of course). The rest I'll rent from Netflix like I do now with DVD.

Now I'm narrowing dow the list of things that I need before I take the HD plunge.....

*Cable/Satellite TV must be 51% HD. Since "tv" is 90% of what I watch on TV, I'm not buying a HD set until at least 51% of said TV is HD.
*1080p display technology. Its here now, but it'll be cheaper & better by the time my other criteria are met. I'll likely buy something in the 50" range for around $1500-2000.
*HD videogames (already done)
*Need more movies. I'm not buying a player until there are day-n-date releases with DVD.
*HDMI becomes standardized

Then which format I buy depends on who is selling the catalog titles I want. Since HD DVD is now 1080p & supports TrueHD, I no longer have a bias for BRD, and will be happy to buy a combo-player. But I won't buy the player till I get the TV, and wont get the TV until theres more HD on TV.

I love you all, but I'm predicting both formats will ultimately fail to entice consumers to go out in droves and transition from DVD. My guess is that the PS3 will saturate the market when it comes out, but the number of people who will also use that device for high end movies and audio will be very slim...

Even though these new formats have all the great DRM goodness that Hollywood loves, they won't sacrifice DVD sales for the security features of the new format... i.e. they won't dare force it... and so confusion and lack of market penetration (in the living room) will abound, leaving the DVD king and everyone scratching their heads.

That's how I see it coming down... It would be different if there was just one format, but there's not... and consumers I talk to a) don't care, b) don't understand it, c) don't care, and most importantly... d) don't care and don't understand it.

Everyone should do an experiment to understand why I feel this way. Ask your brother-in-law, uncle, Dad, etc what he/she thinks of BD or HD DVD and see what kind of response you get. Then strike up a conversation about plasmas, LCDs or DVDs... The former is being PUSHED on consumers who don't care - the latter is exciting and something they want (even if it's confusing).

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I will get one when conditions either A, C and D are met or B, C, and D are met.

A: I can get a player that will play both Blue Ray and HD-DVD and I can get it for 600 bucks or less.

B: One of the formats fails and there is a clear winner and I can get one for 400 bucks or less.

C: Movies are priced fair($19-$35)

D: New HD content is released just as often as DVD is now.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Clint DeBoer said:
I love you all, but I'm predicting both formats will ultimately fail to entice consumers to go out in droves and transition from DVD. My guess is that the PS3 will saturate the market when it comes out, but the number of people who will also use that device for high end movies and audio will be very slim...

Even though these new formats have all the great DRM goodness that Hollywood loves, they won't sacrifice DVD sales for the security features of the new format... i.e. they won't dare force it... and so confusion and lack of market penetration (in the living room) will abound, leaving the DVD king and everyone scratching their heads.

That's how I see it coming down... It would be different if there was just one format, but there's not... and consumers I talk to a) don't care, b) don't understand it, c) don't care, and most importantly... d) don't care and don't understand it.

Everyone should do an experiment to understand why I feel this way. Ask your brother-in-law, uncle, Dad, etc what he/she thinks of BD or HD DVD and see what kind of response you get. Then strike up a conversation about plasmas, LCDs or DVDs... The former is being PUSHED on consumers who don't care - the latter is exciting and something they want (even if it's confusing).
I agree. The "general public" wont go for it just like sacd & dvd-a. Cd's sound great why upgrade? Dvd's look and sound great why spend the money? How many of us have a wife/girlfriend that can't or don't care to hear or see the difference enough to fork out the cash. The only way I see it being successful is if one format wins quickly and prices on all things hi-def droping to reasonable levels. Say, $300-$600 27"-42" tv's, $100-$150 players and $20-$25 discs...Maybe then she will let you go out and spend the money just to shut you up:p ...Oh and what ninja said about 51% hdtv being broadcast, also at resonable costs,:rolleyes: would help.

Dream a little dream,
SBF1

p.s. I said "general public" not the enthusiast.:) and I would love to have a complete hd setup today, I just think the cost/value ratio isn't worth it yet.

avnetguy

avnetguy

Audioholic Chief
Clint DeBoer said:
That's how I see it coming down... It would be different if there was just one format, but there's not...
One thing to note about this format war which separates it greatly from the Beta vs VHS is the "one player to play them all" solution. The fact that there are no physical differences between Blu & HD could greatly help the consumer providing the cost of reading both formats remains low which is yet to be seen.
If cheap players for the masses do come around then the battlefield will be on retailer & distribution front. This might benefit us, the consumers, if a price war on the content is created by this. Then agan, maybe this is all just wishful thinking. :)

Steve

D

doomguardian

Audioholic
Not only that, but Blu-Ray also has Paramount and Warner Bros.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis