Would this sub outperform my TC Sounds LMS-R 18"

• Thread starter cameron paterson
  • Start date
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
http://stereointegrity.com/product/hst18-18-subwoofer/

Great deal on this sub! Would this sub outperform my TC Sounds 18"? The TC Sounds is in a ported 7.3ft3 box tuned at 20hz. What if the SI were in the same box as the TC Sounds? Would it be louder with the 38mm of x-max? I would probably do 2 of the SI's if I were going to change. Isn't the recommended 6.0ft3 for the SI a bit small?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It could get louder and stay cleaner at deep frequencies over a TC Sounds 18". I would imagine that the TC Sounds 18 would be able to get louder at mid bass frequencies.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Why louder at mid bass frequencies? That's good news for my sub but why do you think that?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why louder at mid bass frequencies? That's good news for my sub but why do you think that?
The HST 18 is a heavy driver with a low Fs. Here are some measurements for it. Here are some measurements of TC Sounds 18"s: here and here. The HST 18 is made specifically for deep bass in home theater. its very efficient at deep bass but at the cost of mid bass. The TC Sounds subs are made for broader applications, so they will be more efficient in midbass frequencies. Their cone and moving mass will be a lot lighter and much easier to throw around by the motor, but they won't be as happy in deep bass frequencies as the HST 18.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis