Would mixing subs be bad.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Kids like loud clean bass they just need to be broken in (audiophile myth buster:D)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your probably right ,I definitely dont have a reference .
Distortion isn't as in your face with lower frequencies like it is with higher ones. At least in my experience. It's a lot easier to hear it in higher frequencies. I'm pretty sure you'll notice it when it's gone tho.

You know, part of the reason I post here is because I really am passionate about this stuff and I love seeing other peoples' reactions when they get those unexpected "wow" moments upon listening to a new sub or set of speakers based on recommendations. It's rewarding and I get my little shot of dopamine every time there's a happy camper, lol.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Your probably right ,I definitely dont have a reference .
And too be clear, the distortion being talked about isn’t exactly like when you turn it up to “11” and you get all this crazy crunchy nasty sound from your speakers. It’s more in reference to distortion of the signal. Entry level subs usually have FR curves that have bumps in them to accentuate certain frequencies to make them sound more powerful(small speakers can be made this way too). This is a “distortion” of signal. Now while the room ultimately dictates system integration, modes and and FR behavior, subs that aren’t linear, or well damped(like cheap subs) are easier to sound poor(whether you notice or not?meh) and harder to control with dsp(audyssey etc).

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Totally! It’s a hobby that has as many joys in personal experiences as helping others achieve some part of their audio dream!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Did you read my earlier post about thinking my new, bigger subs were quieter? It was because the distortion I had not noticed before was gone and everything had more clarity and was cleaner sounding.
This is an important distinction. I’ve experienced this too. More telling is that I used the same sub with two different AVRs. Not that the old Onkyo HTIB Sub is “Quality,” but it works. When I connected it to my Marantz AVR, it received a cleaner signal than it ever had before... distortion levels dropped like an ACME Safe on the Coyote’s head! I was able to run it hotter... and cleaner than ever before.
Things like cabinet doors rattling, or other secondary noises went away!!!
Now, I then experienced the difference of replacing that sub with actual good quality subwoofers on the same Marantz AVR, and the change was just as astounding.
Moral of the story... good quality bass is amazing. Distortion is what sounds loud. It sounds boomy. The signal is part of it, but the bigger part is how the speaker itself reproduces it.

:)

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Distortion isn't as in your face with lower frequencies like it is with higher ones. At least in my experience. It's a lot easier to hear it in higher frequencies. I'm pretty sure you'll notice it when it's gone tho.

You know, part of the reason I post here is because I really am passionate about this stuff and I love seeing other peoples' reactions when they get those unexpected "wow" moments upon listening to a new sub or set of speakers based on recommendations. It's rewarding and I get my little shot of dopamine every time there's a happy camper, lol.
Hah! You beat me to it poges!!!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The good news is, I’m pretty sure we’re all saying the same thing. With different words of course...Lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis