Worth the money for a switch?

B

Bob257

Audioholic Intern
Would it be worth a switch to go from my Yamaha a-s801 to go to a 1200, 2200, or 3200? The 801 has a DAC, the others don't. All put out 100w/channel into 8 ohms. I'm driving Focal 1028be speakers, a Rega P6 turntable, and Marantz CD6006 CD player. The 801 is around $900, the 1200 is around $1600, the 2200 is around $2800, and the 3200 is around $6000

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Short answer is no, unless you're maxing out your volume into distortion levels.

You have some very nice speakers. I didn't see any mention of a subwoofer tho...

B

Bob257

Audioholic Intern
Sorry. I'm only using a Polk PS-10 sub. Not the best

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry. I'm only using a Polk PS-10 sub. Not the best
There's your opportunity. So many people dismiss subwoofers on the grounds of "but I have enough bass". You really need to hear a good quality sub to understand, it was a transformative experience for me. Good, clean bass can elevate your whole system. My experience was that my main speakers even sounded cleaner. Dirty bass has a way of permeating through the whole spectrum and it's sneaky. You don't hear it the same way you hear distortion at higher frequencies. I didn't notice it until it was gone.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Soo... @Bob257, that amp budget can get you into some very nice, very clean subwoofage that would give you a nice boost in sound quality over that little Polk. I really don't think swapping power supplies is gonna give you what you're looking for.

What kind of space are you working with? SVS has some really nice options and they look nice too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
There's your opportunity. So many people dismiss subwoofers on the grounds of "but I have enough bass". You really need to hear a good quality sub to understand, it was a transformative experience for me. Good, clean bass can elevate your whole system. My experience was that my main speakers even sounded cleaner. Dirty bass has a way of permeating through the whole spectrum and it's sneaky. You don't hear it the same way you hear distortion at higher frequencies. I didn't notice it until it was gone.
This...

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
There is no need for a DAC unless you have components that don’t have analog outputs, or plan on getting some.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed about adding a sub. I have a pair of Focal 1027Be's and the SVS PB12-NSD really enhances the lower end, giving it more body and a fuller sound stage.

Would love to add another one but the missus and room design constraints beg to differ. ;)

B

Bob257

Audioholic Intern
The room isn't large and I'm usually listening at lower volume.
(Misses factor! LOL). Would that change some of the suggestions?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The room isn't large and I'm usually listening at lower volume.
(Misses factor! LOL). Would that change some of the suggestions?
It would give us an idea of how big a sub to recommend. Having enough sub for your room size is pretty important. "Isn't large" doesn't tell us much tho.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Your space is similar to mine!

download_20200329_104128-1-1418x1983 (1)_copy_567x793_copy_425x594.jpg

Similar ways to share info too! lol

It looks like you have a fair amount of space to fill there if it's all open. I could see a pair of 15s in there, tho I'll bet you can get away with 12" subs. Your actual viewing area isn't huge, but the space open to it counts when it comes to subwoofers. Just to be clear, this isn't about getting more slam and volume. This is about some nice, powerful subs that will enhance those nice speakers you have without drawing attention to themselves. They will be for support, and add weight to your music with no distortion. It's all in how you blend and balance everything. Done right, it won't be boomy or noisy at all.

I think a pair of PC2000 Pros would work really nice in your room.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis