World wide outage with Microsoft Azure and Crowdstrike

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm so happy that we've moved everything to the cloud just so we can affect global production...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Couple of my friends got it. I am up and running, but some of our systems appear to be down because we use Falcon. Sounds like our teams are patching everything.

Crowdstrike says they've patched it already. They said it happened as a result of the Windows update, but no full details yet.

I have my Mac too, does not affect linux or mac OS.

Last edited:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
The Atlanta airport is on its knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Couple of my friends got it. I am up and running, but some of our systems appear to be down because we use Falcon. Sounds like our teams are patching everything.

Crowdstrike says they've patched it already. They said it happened as a result of the Windows update, but no full details yet.

I have my Mac too, does not affect linux or mac OS.
That will be my next system Linux. My laptop isn't that old, has SSD, use it mostly for music Jukebox burned all my music CD's to it. I've had two Blue Screens already, both times the only way to recover was holding down the power button for 30 seconds. Than it would reboot and all good. I should mention that both times I got the Blue screen was after an update. Took it out of S-mode also. Microsoft is the devil they love censorship.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, our ETA to have a few corporate apps isn't until 4pm PST. Seems some have been down since last night, but no issues on my machine so far even though I had the patch since last Friday.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LOL. Friend who works at Apple said "We don't have that problem".

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
If it weren't for Microsoft, where would we be, worldwide? If it weren't for electronics? Cyber attacks are the most worrisome, and need constant developing safeguards. We are going to experience interruptions/failures, time to time.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It just happened a few weeks back too. CDK took out 2/3s of all car dealers for almost 2 weeks, but that was an actual hack. I am still waiting for my power steering pump lol, even though their systems are mostly back up.

Our systems are now almost fully back up at work.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
This morning I ordered some books from Amazon.ca. They used to send me an email confirmation of the order, but nothing today!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
For the techies out there, if you are interested in an explanation of what went wrong and why, Dave's Garage (Dave Plummer) has a very good video on YT.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
My work associate just made it back to Detroit from San Diego. He was supposed to have left Friday. South West seems to have been the savior for a few folks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My work associate just made it back to Detroit from San Diego. He was supposed to have left Friday. South West seems to have been the savior for a few folks.
And the butt of many jokes for not using current security technology.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
This morning I ordered some books from Amazon.ca. They used to send me an email confirmation of the order, but nothing today!
And today, 4 days later, I received an email confirmation of two of my ordered items, which I'm supposed to receive this Thursday. However, yesterday I received from Friday's order and from Maine state a book. That was fast!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I went into my local Subaru dealer for routine maintenance yesterday. They were hit also. Scarry stuff.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
My coffee clutch met this morning with no issues, thank the Lord the coffee didn't come from the 'cloud' ;)

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
... Microsoft is the devil they love censorship.
TBH and fair here, in early 2k if you remember that far back, MS was portrayed as the big evil company. This can be seen in those Apple documentaries of the era too where Bill was cast as an evil villain. They even put doubt the reasons for his philanthropy.

Consequently, because they were the giant company and a had a perceived "monopoly," the euro courts required them to open up their IP (kernal) to allow for companies, like you guessed it, Crowdstrike, to exist and compete. MS holding out on giving out it's IP (api) (sound familiar?) and introducing Excel/Word was a big nail in the coffin for companies like Wordperfect and Lotus123. Being the big player, they were vilified for this.

Apple being this "wonderful" little company that everyone adores and loves because of their great business practices and underdog status wasn't and hasn't (yet) been deemed a monopoly and thus isn't blindly required to give access for other companies to exist and be competitive. There's a double standard going on here.

BTW, I'm not saying MS is this wonderful company. They're just no more, or less, scrupulous than Apple. Unfortunately, because of the courts, companies like CS can really eff it up. I've been around Apple products plenty, and I've seen them do bad things and spin it off as a feature and the apple army eats it up as gospel.

It has always struck me as odd that Apple has become everything we hated about MS. In fact, they're so adored that the courts won't do to them what they did to MS (yet or did they learn, and MS should try and revisit these cases?). Nor will they act when Apple takes other companies IP. In some cases, they even approved of it (I guess they like their new phone/watch feature so much that they don't want to lose it).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
TBH and fair here, in early 2k if you remember that far back, MS was portrayed as the big evil company. This can be seen in those Apple documentaries of the era too where Bill was cast as an evil villain. They even put doubt the reasons for his philanthropy.

Consequently, because they were the giant company and a had a perceived "monopoly," the euro courts required them to open up their IP (kernal) to allow for companies, like you guessed it, Crowdstrike, to exist and compete. MS holding out on giving out it's IP (api) (sound familiar?) and introducing Excel/Word was a big nail in the coffin for companies like Wordperfect and Lotus123. Being the big player, they were vilified for this.

Apple being this "wonderful" little company that everyone adores and loves because of their great business practices and underdog status wasn't and hasn't (yet) been deemed a monopoly and thus isn't blindly required to give access for other companies to exist and be competitive. There's a double standard going on here.

BTW, I'm not saying MS is this wonderful company. They're just no more, or less, scrupulous than Apple. Unfortunately, because of the courts, companies like CS can really eff it up. I've been around Apple products plenty, and I've seen them do bad things and spin it off as a feature and the apple army eats it up as gospel.

It has always struck me as odd that Apple has become everything we hated about MS. In fact, they're so adored that the courts won't do to them what they did to MS (yet or did they learn, and MS should try and revisit these cases?). Nor will they act when Apple takes other companies IP. In some cases, they even approved of it (I guess they like their new phone/watch feature so much that they don't want to lose it).
Both Apple and MS are greedy, near-monopolistic companies. I mean next to these two, I still hate Adobe much more, but neither Apple nor MS hands are spotlessly clean.
The latest case of EU vs MS because of Teams bundling, is absolutely on mark. I lived through several iterations of the same story - Why pay for Slack (which all techies love) when Teams is "free" with Office 365 (aka Microsoft 365)

You can't blame the courts on CrowdStrike fiasco and it's not really about API calls. It's about two parts of the issue:
a) Crowdstrike is doing testing production, at least occasionally - which is a HUGE cardinal sin for a software company.
b) The way they design their kernel driver which allows the execution of other code, should've never been allowed by Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). Crowdstrike created a workaround to bypass WHQL testing every time they would need to update the critical kernel driver.

This issue isn't just the fault of that one developer who forgot to include additional files in the update, but several bigger systematic issues. (see points a and b above)

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Both Apple and MS are greedy, near-monopolistic companies. I mean next to these two, I still hate Adobe much more, but neither Apple nor MS hands are spotlessly clean.
A lot of data points to duopolies being just as bad or even worse than monopolies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis