Wooden fence in front of speaker

R

Ruben Crokaert

Audiophyte
Hello fellow sound lovers,
I just have a quick question:
We are currently renovating our house and our thinking about redesigning our living room.
I currently love our sound setup, but my wife asked me if there would be a way to hide our sound speakers. She thought about placing the speakers behind a wooden ‘fence’ (hard to describe what it looks like. The picture below gives you an idea of the spacing between the bars/beams)
There would be spaces between the wooden bars, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to mess with it.
My question: Would this fence in front of the speakers effect sound a lot?

I apologise for grammatical mistakes and a lack of ;p
Hope you can help :)
147386-12470026.jpg

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Ruben,
If the fence is anyway similar to the picture you provided, IMHO it will cause significant audio issues.
- I would expect the fence to interfere with select high frequencies, radically change the audio dispersion pattern, probably create a standing wave pattern of highs and voids in the room (like two pebbles thrown into a still pond).
If aesthetics are a priority, consider transitioning to an in-wall solution for that room. The system may not sound quite as good as your present speakers, but would be better solution than a fence.
- I have an in-wall solution in a similar room and it is pretty darn good (TTP: keeping a stand-alone sub is key!)
Please let us know how you tackle the problem.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
They do seem to have a natural resistance to speakers don’t they? Maybe you have another room you can make into a movie room? :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Acoustically transparent cloth might be an alternative. Can be had in colors to match the decor. Wood fence will give you random combing / peaking issues depending on where you sit relative to them. Not a fan of in-wall, but I agree I'd take that option first. Depending on what your current ones are though, I'd expect to spend a bit more to achieve the same levels of sound that way.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
We are currently renovating our house and our thinking about redesigning our living room.
I currently love our sound setup, but my wife asked me if there would be a way to hide our sound speakers. She thought about placing the speakers behind a wooden ‘fence’ (hard to describe what it looks like. The picture below gives you an idea of the spacing between the bars/beams)
There would be spaces between the wooden bars, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to mess with it.

View attachment 26196
If you can't see it, you won't hear it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You may see what your wife thinks about on-wall speakers!
By reputation, I'd consider KEF or Canton good options.
Note some of these are bookshelf speakers that can be mounted on the wall and others are low profile speakers made to mount exclusively on-wall (like the image below):
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/spkonwall/speakers/on-wall-speakers/1.html?brand_f[]=CANTON&brand_f[]=KEF

In-wall options:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/spkinwall/speakers/in-wall-speakers/1.html

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

View attachment 26196
Almost all speakers would look a lot better, than that butt ugly fence. And yes, that fence would be an earsore as well as an eyesore.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a good looking fence. I'm going to put my wife behind one ... in the basement ... beside the box I keep Adam in.

It's the only way to listen to music in peace.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis