Wooden fence in front of speaker

R

Ruben Crokaert

Audiophyte
Hello fellow sound lovers,
I just have a quick question:
We are currently renovating our house and our thinking about redesigning our living room.
I currently love our sound setup, but my wife asked me if there would be a way to hide our sound speakers. She thought about placing the speakers behind a wooden ‘fence’ (hard to describe what it looks like. The picture below gives you an idea of the spacing between the bars/beams)
There would be spaces between the wooden bars, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to mess with it.
My question: Would this fence in front of the speakers effect sound a lot?

I apologise for grammatical mistakes and a lack of ;p
Hope you can help :)
147386-12470026.jpg

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Senior Audioholic
Ratings
245 1
Ruben,
If the fence is anyway similar to the picture you provided, IMHO it will cause significant audio issues.
- I would expect the fence to interfere with select high frequencies, radically change the audio dispersion pattern, probably create a standing wave pattern of highs and voids in the room (like two pebbles thrown into a still pond).
If aesthetics are a priority, consider transitioning to an in-wall solution for that room. The system may not sound quite as good as your present speakers, but would be better solution than a fence.
- I have an in-wall solution in a similar room and it is pretty darn good (TTP: keeping a stand-alone sub is key!)
Please let us know how you tackle the problem.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Field Marshall
Ratings
723 1 1
They do seem to have a natural resistance to speakers don’t they? Maybe you have another room you can make into a movie room? :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ratings
7,234 8 22
Acoustically transparent cloth might be an alternative. Can be had in colors to match the decor. Wood fence will give you random combing / peaking issues depending on where you sit relative to them. Not a fan of in-wall, but I agree I'd take that option first. Depending on what your current ones are though, I'd expect to spend a bit more to achieve the same levels of sound that way.

highfigh

highfigh

Audioholic Warlord
Ratings
2,775 9 5
We are currently renovating our house and our thinking about redesigning our living room.
I currently love our sound setup, but my wife asked me if there would be a way to hide our sound speakers. She thought about placing the speakers behind a wooden ‘fence’ (hard to describe what it looks like. The picture below gives you an idea of the spacing between the bars/beams)
There would be spaces between the wooden bars, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to mess with it.

View attachment 26196
If you can't see it, you won't hear it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Warlord
Ratings
4,608 22 4
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Audioholic Slumlord
Ratings
7,331 17 25

View attachment 26196
Almost all speakers would look a lot better, than that butt ugly fence. And yes, that fence would be an earsore as well as an eyesore.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Ratings
9,501 66 3
That's a good looking fence. I'm going to put my wife behind one ... in the basement ... beside the box I keep Adam in.

It's the only way to listen to music in peace.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis