Woo Hoo finally get to try out DTS Neuro

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
In my experience, Denon tech support doesn't answer the phone. The Nov. 11 update reports it requires 33 minutes to complete. It's pretty crazy when the download only takes 3 minutes or less. The receiver really seems under powered for this large update.

I would not be surprised if it has bugs. My sound was negatively impacted afterward... I had to reset everything to get it sounding great again.

DmanVet

DmanVet

Audiophyte
Yeah, I sent Denon details of the issue via their website as well. At least I have a reference number of the report. Lol

It did take a half hour or more to complete the installation. I'll do a reset tomorrow and see if it resolves the bi-amp issue. I'll report my findings.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I feel pretty lucky. My 6012 has always had the ability to cross upmix. I never updated it out of fear that I would lose that feature. Plus I never needed to! Gone back and forth. Ime, DSU is more natural and seamless, if not a little dull. Dtsnx can be more “interesting” but sometimes I don’t like what it sends to the tops. The things I’ve found to be the best and make me go wow are in the weirdest places. Like odd sound effects music when switching a scene, or for foreshadowing. Some of the sounds are just right in the room. Of course many Atmos tracks do this too. Just a testament to how good the new upmixers are.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I feel pretty lucky. My 6012 has always had the ability to cross upmix. I never updated it out of fear that I would lose that feature. Plus I never needed to! Gone back and forth. Ime, DSU is more natural and seamless, if not a little dull. Dtsnx can be more “interesting” but sometimes I don’t like what it sends to the tops. The things I’ve found to be the best and make me go wow are in the weirdest places. Like odd sound effects music when switching a scene, or for foreshadowing. Some of the sounds are just right in the room. Of course many Atmos tracks do this too. Just a testament to how good the new upmixers are.
What I like about the new Auro-3D hardware in the Denon 4700 is it lets you tinker with the front and rear height channel up mix configuration while using stereo sources. You can select the room size/preset (small, medium, large, movie, speech) and then set Auro-Matic strength (1-16). That control lets you set it up for just about any preference. It brings the height channels to life with any non Auro-3D content while also supporting source (typically movies) that are recorded with Auro-3D/ATMOS.

11.png

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Been trolling on here a while and you folks always share useful info!

So, I Installed that new firmware update today on my Denon 4700. Fronts were bi-amped (internal receiver amps only) before the update and everything was great. After the update, both bi-amp options in the "Amp-Assign" settings resulted in half the volume output. Weird. Re-ran Audyssey and no change. Disconnected the bi-amp speaker cables and selected a different amp-assign setting and volume was normal again. Called Crutchfield tech support and they mentioned getting calls about it. They suspect something is wrong with the firmware update. Tried to call Denon tech support and was in the queue for an hour and gave up. I suspect they are swamped with calls after the update. Will try Denon support again tomorrow. Anyone else run into issues with the new firmware? Any suggestions?
First of all thank you for your service and thoughts. I personally have not had any issues yet. I don’t bi amp but I’m going to rerun Audyssey tonight and hope I don’t find a bug.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Just spreading the love, right? :D

Awesome part about NeuralX is that it's free - well, if your AVR has it. :D

I've told some good stories in the Atmos DTSX Auro3D thread about NeuralX. Of course, nothing is perfect. But man, Neuralx has a lot of things down pretty well IMO.

Sometimes in life, it's not just about what's "right" or "wrong" - it's about LOVING IT. :D

Like I'm currently watching "Orange is the New Black" S03. And yes, I absolutely use NeuralX for it! :D
The height channels definitely are more active with Neural.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The height channels definitely are more active with Neural.
Precisely.

Some people accuse NeuralX of being "inaccurate" and too "aggressive".

But, this ain't brain surgery or rocket science. Different strokes for different folks. You know what I mean? :D

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Precisely.

Some people accuse NeuralX of being "inaccurate" and too "aggressive".

But, this ain't brain surgery or rocket science. Different strokes for different folks. You know what I mean? :D
I know exactly what you mean. Some people want accuracy and others prefer what sounds better to them while watching movies. I’m in the second group.

DmanVet

DmanVet

Audiophyte
First of all thank you for your service and thoughts. I personally have not had any issues yet. I don’t bi amp but I’m going to rerun Audyssey tonight and hope I don’t find a bug.
Many thanks! It was an honor to serve this great county! Glad to hear you didn't have any issues! Hopefully it stays that way...no bugs!

Tried to call Denon support again this morning and couldn't even get into the queue. Called again 10 mins ago and in the queue at least! Did a reset on the x4700H this morning and no change (bi-amp still not working). Rolled back the firmware to the factory original firmware and b-amp works, but the volume output is still way less than before I tried the new firmware. That was after running Audyessy again. Hopefully I'll get through to Denon soon and see if they know what's happening.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Many thanks! It was an honor to serve this great county! Glad to hear you didn't have any issues! Hopefully it stays that way...no bugs!

Tried to call Denon support again this morning and couldn't even get into the queue. Called again 10 mins ago and in the queue at least! Did a reset on the x4700H this morning and no change (bi-amp still not working). Rolled back the firmware to the factory original firmware and b-amp works, but the volume output is still way less than before I tried the new firmware. That was after running Audyessy again. Hopefully I'll get through to Denon soon and see if they know what's happening.
I sure wish you good luck and hopefully it’s something easy to figure out. I think I may wait a few days to rerun Audyssey and let bug reports come in first.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Well I finally got to rerun Audyssey last night. I know that I’m a few weeks later than I said but pluracy and pneumonia kept me down. I used NeuralX while I was sick , and I enjoyed it a lot even before I reran Audyssey because of the center channel swap. I’ve got to say that I am very impressed with NeuralX. Maybe it doesn’t sound as natural as Atmos, but to me it sounds better and a lot more exciting and fun. I found myself pausing different movies to make sure that what I was hearing wasn’t really happening.lol
To me that’s what it’s all about when it comes to movies.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Well I finally got to rerun Audyssey last night. I know that I’m a few weeks later than I said but pluracy and pneumonia kept me down. I used NeuralX while I was sick , and I enjoyed it a lot even before I reran Audyssey because of the center channel swap. I’ve got to say that I am very impressed with NeuralX. Maybe it doesn’t sound as natural as Atmos, but to me it sounds better and a lot more exciting and fun. I found myself pausing different movies to make sure that what I was hearing wasn’t really happening.lol
To me that’s what it’s all about when it comes to movies.
Hey! @CajunLB! Hope all's well your way! Anyways Sava! ;)

DmanVet

DmanVet

Audiophyte
Oops, forgot to update this thread with my findings/status. After having Denon tech support futz around with settings and whatnot, they determined my unit was defective and since I was still inside Crutchfield's 60-day return window, they suggested I swap it out via Crutchfield. Crutchfield support was outstanding and sent me new unit without any hassles. Replacement AVR has worked flawlessly even after the latest firmware update.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis