Woo Hoo finally get to try out DTS Neuro

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I just read the new article about a large firmware update for Denon/Marantz. I have the Denon 3600 and it’s fantastic. The only thing negative is not being able to “cross upmix” From my understanding this update will allow me to listen to the DTS X upmixer with Dolby content. I’m a happy camper if I understand the AH article

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I just read the new article about a large firmware update for Denon/Marantz. I have the Denon 3600 and it’s fantastic. The only thing negative is not being able to “cross upmix” From my understanding this update will allow me to listen to the DTS X upmixer with Dolby content. I’m a happy camper if I understand the AH article
You are Absolutely correct, DTS X is Freaking awesome! You will love it!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On my admittedly older stuff without Dolby Surround....but do have Neo:X....I generally find myself just using the matching avr sound mode for the codec more often Sometimes not even using the avr's same-named sound mode (i.e. direct). I've just never really "gotten" the way some line up behind one sound mode in an avr vs the other....but that I suppose could somewhat depend on avr implementation of such? I've even got avrs with further choices (like Audyssey DSX)....but something has to sound somewhat odd/lifeless for me to even go looking for other sound modes generally.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Just found it on my Denon will try it out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah just in case you guys have not seen me say this a hundred times already, I use DTS NeuralX 99% of the time. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds like you will find out in a couple days. Not sure why it took them a year to fix the firmware on the cross upmixing. That was supposed to be settled a long time ago. Maybe fixing both features at the same time was easier.

E

Erod

Audioholic
Dolby Surround surrounds infinitely more precise and natural to me than DTS Neural X, which places sound oddly in the wrong speakers at times.

But to each his own. Choices are awesome.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
I want the option to use the one I like more, not what Dolby tells me.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Yeah just in case you guys have not seen me say this a hundred times already, I use DTS NeuralX 99% of the time. :D
It’s because of your remarks about how good Neural that has me so excited about finally being able to use Neural.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Probably took a little work to get DSU setup to support front wides on Denon 8500. So when cross upmixing was supported that DSU would even be an upmixer option for those speaker layouts of 13 speakers plus subs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It’s because of your remarks about how good Neural that has me so excited about finally being able to use Neural.
Just spreading the love, right? :D

Awesome part about NeuralX is that it's free - well, if your AVR has it. :D

I've told some good stories in the Atmos DTSX Auro3D thread about NeuralX. Of course, nothing is perfect. But man, Neuralx has a lot of things down pretty well IMO.

Sometimes in life, it's not just about what's "right" or "wrong" - it's about LOVING IT. :D

Like I'm currently watching "Orange is the New Black" S03. And yes, I absolutely use NeuralX for it! :D

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
After all of this time I finally got to use it but I was feeling ill so just streamed some old NCIS reruns lmao. There is a difference even with a TV series. When I watch a good movie i’m expecting a larger difference and will let the members know what I think about Neural.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
@snakeeyes .. Do you have a D/M AVR/P that this new firmware effects? If so I’d like your thoughts?
I’m currently using a 2016 Yamaha RXA2060. No complaints with it. I just like to keep my nose in this stuff as I plan to upgrade my TV next year for hockey season. Likely 4K 75in or bigger. Seattle Kraken is our new NHL team for 2021.

I also am installing 4 ceiling speakers to make my 5.1 into a 5.1.4 Atmos setup. I have RSL C34E and need to install them.

And of course updates to the theater room itself. Furniture, flooring, fresh paint. That kind of thing. :)

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
After the Nov 11 Denon update many of my favorite tracks seemed dull on my Denon 4700 receiver. I'm not sure if the update impacted my Audyssey setup or what happened?

I plugged the mic in and re-ran all 8 Audyssey positions and it's better than ever. No idea what's up.

I opened up Qobuz and started trying all the songs in the McIntosh (HiFi partners) playlist and some of these tracks sounded really great with my new settings!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Just spreading the love, right? :D

Awesome part about NeuralX is that it's free - well, if your AVR has it. :D

I've told some good stories in the Atmos DTSX Auro3D thread about NeuralX. Of course, nothing is perfect. But man, Neuralx has a lot of things down pretty well IMO.

Sometimes in life, it's not just about what's "right" or "wrong" - it's about LOVING IT. :D

Like I'm currently watching "Orange is the New Black" S03. And yes, I absolutely use NeuralX for it! :D
Thanks Andrew! You where right about DTS-X. You most Definitely been a great guy on AH!

Mike

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
After the Nov 11 Denon update many of my favorite tracks seemed dull on my Denon 4700 receiver. I'm not sure if the update impacted my Audyssey setup or what happened?

I plugged the mic in and re-ran all 8 Audyssey positions and it's better than ever. No idea what's up.

I opened up Qobuz and started trying all the songs in the McIntosh (HiFi partners) playlist and some of these tracks sounded really great with my new settings!
Thanks for your thoughts. I think I’m gonna rerun Audyssey tomorrow as well because I’m going to try the Infinity reference 3 way center channel I picked up for cheap on eBay. I’m going to try a few movies and Saints/LSU games and give my options on Neural X .

DmanVet

DmanVet

Audiophyte
Thanks for your thoughts. I think I’m gonna rerun Audyssey tomorrow as well because I’m going to try the Infinity reference 3 way center channel I picked up for cheap on eBay. I’m going to try a few movies and Saints/LSU games and give my options on Neural X .
Been trolling on here a while and you folks always share useful info!

So, I Installed that new firmware update today on my Denon 4700. Fronts were bi-amped (internal receiver amps only) before the update and everything was great. After the update, both bi-amp options in the "Amp-Assign" settings resulted in half the volume output. Weird. Re-ran Audyssey and no change. Disconnected the bi-amp speaker cables and selected a different amp-assign setting and volume was normal again. Called Crutchfield tech support and they mentioned getting calls about it. They suspect something is wrong with the firmware update. Tried to call Denon tech support and was in the queue for an hour and gave up. I suspect they are swamped with calls after the update. Will try Denon support again tomorrow. Anyone else run into issues with the new firmware? Any suggestions?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis