With Amplifier or without?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I’m currently using a Yamaha RX A1050 with a Emotiva stereo amp with 150 watts per channel (A 300). I’m going to a RX A3080 with 150 watts per channel and wonder if I need to continue to use the amp?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I’m currently using a Yamaha RX A1050 with a Emotiva stereo amp with 150 watts per channel (A 300). I’m going to a RX A3080 with 150 watts per channel and wonder if I need to continue to use the amp?
"Need" an ext. amp or not depends on distance, speaker sensitivity, your target SPL etc., but if you already have the amp, use it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
How many speakers? Was it 2 BMR and what else?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
How many speakers? Was it 2 BMR and what else?
2 BMR and a center. The rears are run wireless off their own amp. The sub is powered and has it’s own amp.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Ok I was just thinking that Peng could do the math if you gave him the exact model of the speakers. Sounds like mostly the BMRs are the main load involved though.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I doubt that most people will "need" to use an ext amp with a RX-A3080.

But they may still "desire" to do so because they want to lessen the load on the AVR.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Is that all it will do, not make the sound better? Adding the stereo amp, which only would power the 2 front BMRs.
I only have 5 channels to start with. The AVR is supposed to be handle 9 channels at full output.

If I could get rid of the amp without sacrificing sound quality it would help with space and budget.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is that all it will do, not make the sound better? Adding the stereo amp, which only would power the 2 front BMRs.
I only have 5 channels to start with. The AVR is supposed to be handle 9 channels at full output.

If I could get rid of the amp without sacrificing sound quality it would help with space and budget.
I would say that for 99% of most people in most rooms, adding an external amp to the RX-A3080 will not improve the sound at all.

So you will not be sacrificing any sound quality when using the RX-A3080 by itself (without using the ext amps).

The subs will unequivocally require the most power, but they already have their own amps.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

The DACS are superior in the 3000 series to what is in the 1000 series and the BMRs may be able to take advantage of that for even better sound. I believe they are similar to the Yamaha 5100 or better since newer.

However, if the sound is perfect now, why change a thing? :)

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
PERFECT SOUND? What’s that? It can always be better.....or at lest different.

Gotta keep those audio manufacturers in business.:eek:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I would like to emphasize the need to know your target spl and sitting distance, given the speaker sensitivity.
Let's see an example, simply by using the often linked online peak spl calculator (instead of my own spreadsheet calculator):
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

1533738329114.png

So if you sit 11 feet away from the BMRs, you need 423 WPC, two channel driven to hit the THX reference peak of 105 dB. That's peak, so the average power required (the incorrectly called RMS watts) would be 423/2, or 211.5 W. Now if you punch in 9 ft for distance, the required average power will be 140 W, or 280 W peak. In that case the Yamaha RX-A3000 series can do it.

For me, my target average spl is 75 dB from 11 ft, (quite loud for my liking) so I can get away with 14 W average, 28 W peak, though my amps are rated almost 20X that..

Note that the BMR is rated 84.5 dB/2.83 V/m, and the online calculator is based on dB/1W/m, so I have to correct the BMR's 84.5 dB sensitivity to 83.25 dB for it to work accurately.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Thanks Peng. Seems like I’m over qualified in amps. Amplifiers don’t add too they just replace, right?

TechHDS

Audioholic General
@Good4it, If you don’t mind Sir when you have had a little time with your A3080 please post up your thoughts. You have a Flagship unit that should be with you for a long time.

Mike

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
@Good4it, If you don’t mind Sir when you have had a little time with your A3080 please post up your thoughts. You have a Flagship unit that should be with you for a long time.

Mike

Hopefully it hits here next week. After a few weeks I will . If it’s worth the higher cost of my RX A1050, I’ll be happy. The 1050 has been very reliable so far.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hopefully it hits here next week. After a few weeks I will . If it’s worth the higher cost of my RX A1050, I’ll be happy. The 1050 has been very reliable so far.
Great choice, congrats!

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Umm, what your going to do with your A1050? Sell it off?

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I’m interested in it! I’m upgrading all my speakers come the first week of October. Going with the RBH impression towers, center and rears. If you can hold off till than if not I’d understand. Hit me with a inbox with a price Sir! My Son his the A1050 loves that unit and like yours he hasn’t had any issues with that unit. I have Yamaha’s 7790 good unit also done 4 updates and went very smoothly. The A1050 has flagship build in it plus the premier DAC chip in it and a lot more things to tweek. I have had many sit downs with my Son on many occasions on listening sessions and have to say the A1050 is a very smooth sounding unit. He has a Emotiva XPA - 2, 1st gen, powering the L/R mains Polk LSi-15’s. So I know what you have with the A1050.

Mike

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis