With Amplifier or without?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I want to sell ASAP and local if possible. If I still have it then will keep you on top of the list. I have not decided what I want for it, Not going to sell until my new one is hooked up.

Thanks and where are you?

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I want to sell ASAP and local if possible. If I still have it then will keep you on top of the list. I have not decided what I want for it, Not going to sell until my new one is hooked up.

Thanks and where are you?
Totally understand, in Louisiana but I believe you won’t have a problem selling that unit it’s a good one has the latest formats premium DAC and with the flagship build it will sell fast.

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Looking forward to your impressions of the new Artificial Intelligence Center Dialogue feature.

When I got the CX-A5100, I could tell that Yamaha put some thoughts into the Center Dialogue Channel, which I appreciate because the Center Channel is the salient channel of all. And CX-A5100 doesn’t have the Dialogue AI feature like the RX-A3080.

I don’t care if you have a thousand ATMOS and Surround speakers if the dialogues aren’t crystal clear, especially when bombs start going off and hurricanes start pulling 18-wheelers up in the air.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
AI and dialogue and 150W per channel are 3 of the main reasons I wanted it. That and the DAC and increase in options. The A1050 was /is good though.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
AI and dialogue and 150W per channel are 3 of the main reasons I wanted it. That and the DAC and increase in options. The A1050 was /is good though.
Yep that A3080 is very nice! I just read a S&V review and the A3070 tested out at 105 watts X 5 @ 8 Ohms @ 0.1 THD and 167 Watts x 2 @ 8 Ohms @ 0.1 THD. No doubt the A3080 is capable of that You definitely picked a nice unit man!

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
AI and dialogue and 150W per channel are 3 of the main reasons I wanted it. That and the DAC and increase in options.
Well let us know ASAP when you get your new toy this Saturday.

All weekend long to play around. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is that all it will do, not make the sound better?
I was going to make a crack about how fancy wires are all you need to make it sound better. Then I went and saw that thing is $2k.

This is no joking matter. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was going to make a crack about how fancy wires are all you need to make it sound better. Then I went and saw that thing is $2k.

This is no joking matter. :D
Yeah, $2K flagship AVR is serious money.

But I appreciate the fact that the RX-A3080 flagship doesn't cost $4K like the Denon 8500 AVR! :D

And IMO, the RX-A3080 sounds every bit as good in Straight/Through mode (bypass EQ).

Just like how the $2500 Yamaha CX-A5100 pre-pro sounds every bit as good as the $7,500 Denon AVP-A1HD pre-pro.

Let's hope the CX-A5100 lasts longer than the AVP-A1HD (dead after 8 YR).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, $2K flagship AVR is serious money.

But I appreciate the fact that the RX-A3080 flagship doesn't cost $4K like the Denon 8500 AVR! :D

And IMO, the RX-A3080 sounds every bit as good in Straight/Through mode (bypass EQ).

Just like how the $2500 Yamaha CX-A5100 pre-pro sounds every bit as good as the $7,500 Denon AVP-A1HD pre-pro.

Let's hope the CX-A5100 lasts longer than the AVP-A1HD (dead after 8 YR).
I wish I have one to compare YPAO with XT32 using REW, wonder if Yamaha is willing to send me a demo for that...:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That sucks. It's like bumming me out for real. Sorry for your loss.
You can tell I still haven’t gotten over the loss. :D

Twilight Zone episode. About 8 years ago I ordered a refurbished Denon AVP-A1HDCI. It was dead on arrival. NO VOLUME OUTPUT from any amps.

So I bought a new AVP-A1HD from my local dealer.

Little did I know at the time that 8 years later my AVP-A1HD would meet the same fate - NO VOLUME OUTPUT from any amps.

Meanwhile across the globe, another Audioholics member (Grassy) also bought his AVP-A1HD. Little did he know that his AVP-A1HD would also die (probably also 8 years later).

Freaky. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can tell I still haven’t gotten over the loss. :D

Twilight Zone episode. About 8 years ago I ordered a refurbished Denon AVP-A1HDCI. It was dead on arrival. NO VOLUME OUTPUT from any amps.

So I bought a new AVP-A1HD from my local dealer.

Little did I know at the time that 8 years later my AVP-A1HD would meet the same fate - NO VOLUME OUTPUT from any amps.

Meanwhile across the globe, another Audioholics member (Grassy) also bought his AVP-A1HD. Little did he know that his AVP-A1HD would also die (probably also 8 years later).

Freaky. :D
Rather than freaky maybe a problem with boards/connections inherent in the design. I've seen such alluded to by techs for some of the Denons architecture. Too bad they can't handle the repair/maintenance (or even understand what the issue is)

ps It does make me wonder if due all the ownership changes of the brand if it didn't boil down to certain engineers on board to make room for bean counters.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Rather than freaky maybe a problem with boards/connections inherent in the design. I've seen such alluded to by techs for some of the Denons architecture. Too bad they can't handle the repair/maintenance (or even understand what the issue is)

ps It does make me wonder if due all the ownership changes of the brand if it didn't boil down to certain engineers on board to make room for bean counters.
After taking the insides of the Denon AVP-A1 apart and comparing casually to pictures of the insides of Pre-pros from Theta Digital and DataSAT, I would conclude that the AVP-A1 was too complex to say the least.

It’s like these designers asked themselves, “How much crap can I cram in here?”

In contrast, the engineers of Theta and DataSAT asked themselves, “How can I make this thing sound as awesome as the best and keep it as simple, clean, and well laid out as possible?”

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After taking the insides of the Denon AVP-A1 apart and comparing casually to pictures of the insides of Pre-pros from Theta Digital and DataSAT, I would conclude that the AVP-A1 was too complex to say the least.

It’s like these designers asked themselves, “How much crap can I cram in here?”

In contrast, the engineers of Theta and DataSAT asked themselves, “How can I make this thing sound as awesome as the best and keep it as simple, clean, and well laid out as possible?”
It's one thing to have a lot of components, another not to be able to physically link them up consistently was my point; particularly researching many failed 4520 refurbs, seemed basic issues might have been related to board connections themselves....dunno as am not a tech, just passing on what I read. Especially when you consider single unit transport if fragile....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's one thing to have a lot of components, another not to be able to physically link them up consistently was my point; particularly researching many failed 4520 refurbs, seemed basic issues might have been related to board connections themselves....dunno as am not a tech, just passing on what I read. Especially when you consider single unit transport if fragile....
All of the above. :D

Too many parts and boards to link up and fail.

IOW, if you could have a pre-pro or AVR (equal sound quality) with 1 Motherboard and 4 PCI Cards vs. 20 boards to link up, what would you have?

The more parts to link and connect, the more chances of failure.

It reminds me when I was a freshman taking Engineering Fortran Computer Programming. The teacher gave us an assignment to write a program.

It took me and other classmates 2 pages to write the program. It took the teacher about 6 lines. :eek:

So my classmates and I were like these Denon engineers who crammed as much crap as possible into the chassis and a million possibilities for the links and connections to fail and our teacher was like the Theta and DataSAT engineers who made pre-pros that look like simple computers with a Motherboard and a few PCI cards.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis