Will Star Trek Discovery Get Cancelled?

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
The problem with getting into The Expanse is that first season is incredibly boring all the way until the season finale. Sorry, nothing could be done about. Consider it very long (possibly unnecessary so) characters introduction. I urge you to give it another chance and least finish 1st and 2nd season.
Reminds me of DS9!!! Haven't seen Expanse, but when DS9 came out, I was bored to tears and just couldn't get into it. Gave it a second chance when they were doing re-runs years later. Was still bored. Fast forward 20 years and a co-worker convinced me to give it another shot but really stick with it. Well, after trudging my way through the first couple seasons, he was right! I ended up REALLY enjoying it. A lot! Kicked myself for not sticking with it decades prior as I was really out of the loop with the ongoing ST conversations. Haha.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
As to the topic at hand, I actually HAVE been wanting to watch ST - Discovery, but I refuse to deal with yet another fragment in the streaming world. Another account. Another password. Another company that has my CC on file. Another poorly designed UI and app. And commercials to boot? Sorry, CBS. No dice. I'll either wait to catch up with Blu-Ray releases (which would be better anyway),or wait for CBS to admit they were wrong in their approach and finally distribute on existing streaming sources, ie Hulu, Netflix, etc.

Evidently, they have Season 1 on Blu-Ray for $43 or streaming on Amazon for $35. Worth it? Evidently Netflix DVD service (now DVD.com?) doesn't seem to have it available for a disc rental.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Reminds me of DS9!!! Haven't seen Expanse, but when DS9 came out, I was bored to tears and just couldn't get into it. Gave it a second chance when they were doing re-runs years later. Was still bored. Fast forward 20 years and a co-worker convinced me to give it another shot but really stick with it. Well, after trudging my way through the first couple seasons, he was right! I ended up REALLY enjoying it. A lot! Kicked myself for not sticking with it decades prior as I was really out of the loop with the ongoing ST conversations. Haha.
This hits much closer to home that you think. I'm too watched a random episode or two of DS9 and decided to pass on it. Once I add more storage to my current system, I'll try to get the whole thing and give it a second chance

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
after trudging my way through the first couple seasons
Couple of seasons? :eek:

Gotta have some Trek perseverance there. :D

With all the negativity, if I thought ST Discovery was boring after 1 episode, it would have been over. :D

P

Paul Lane

Audioholic Intern
STD is pretty to look at but it's actually pretty awful..
No wonder CBS said F it let's just make a Captain Picard show instead..
Does every episode now need to be about Social Justice??
But sure kill off the Gay crew members in season #1..
And what's up with the Plagiarism?? Stealing a main concept from a Video Game and then trying to stiff the developer is low class..
STD is about as good as Voyager which was awful awful..

O

Ovation

Enthusiast
STD is pretty to look at but it's actually pretty awful..
Matter of opinion, so fine. I don't share it, but that's copacetic.
No wonder CBS said F it let's just make a Captain Picard show instead..
It's "in addition to", not instead. And hey, are you sure it'll be what you want? Patrick Stewart himself is on record saying this "won't be the same Picard". Anyone expecting TNG 2.0 is bound to be disappointed. Not me, though. Nothing would disappoint me more than TNG 2.0. I have all 170+ episodes and four movies on Blu-ray if want to revisit "traditional Trek".
Does every episode now need to be about Social Justice??
This is a puzzler. First, when did "Social Justice" become a bad thing? Who is a fan of "Social INJustice"? Seriously? In what universe do self-proclaimed fans of a show/franchise known for its progressivism (it literally drips from Trek) find the idea of a more just society objectionable?
Second, "every episode" is "about Social Justice"? Really? Have you been actually watching the show?
But sure kill off the Gay crew members in season #1..
Well, one (singular, not plural). And, in fine Trek tradition, he's not permanently dead (neither were Scotty, Spock, McCoy---the full list is longer than I care to type).
And what's up with the Plagiarism?? Stealing a main concept from a Video Game and then trying to stiff the developer is low class..
:rolleyes:
Of all the complaints and comments lobbed at DSC, this is the MOST absurd of all. It is the very definition of outlandishly distorted reality. It has no more credibility than moon landing deniers or flat earthers.
STD is about as good as Voyager which was awful awful..
DSC is miles ahead of Voyager--in my book. It can be anywhere you want it to be in yours.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This is a puzzler. First, when did "Social Justice" become a bad thing? Who is a fan of "Social INJustice"? Seriously? In what universe do self-proclaimed fans of a show/franchise known for its progressivism (it literally drips from Trek) find the idea of a more just society objectionable?
Second, "every episode" is "about Social Justice"? Really? Have you been actually watching the show?
Of course we want social justice and Star Trek as always brought these themes in prior shows based on current events. However, STD does it differently. They do it at the expense of targeting most of the white male characters on the show as weak, incompetent or arrogant. They especially made the Klingon males 2-dimensional characters with associating them as the stereotypical Trump supporter. No problem on the show can be solved without the messiah Michael Burnham's intervention. IF you disagree with STD's obvious agenda, the fans label you a racist. I've never felt prior Star Trek shows put forth this agenda and I'm not a minority (no pun intended) in this viewpoint.

R

RXP

Audioholic Intern
It's popularity and renewal suggest that most people do find it entertaining. The most recent episode just looked gorgeous on an OLED in HDR. The 5.1 mix was really deep too. Got my Quake 10B's going nicely.

Orville also had a fantastic episode.

Gene - out of the recent batch of shows - are there any you like? It could be that you're politically put off by today's programming.

O

Ovation

Enthusiast
Of course we want social justice and Star Trek as always brought these themes in prior shows based on current events. However, STD does it differently. They do it at the expense of targeting most of the white male characters on the show as weak, incompetent or arrogant.
Arrogance is never in short supply, even among heroic figures, white male or otherwise, in fiction. As for weak and incompetent—I don’t see any overwhelming imbalance. Pike and Stamets, anyone?
They especially made the Klingon males 2-dimensional characters with associating them as the stereotypical Trump supporter.
Klingons are almost always two dimensional in Trek. Not really a fan of them.
No problem on the show can be solved without the messiah Michael Burnham's intervention.
I’ll let a Trek fan from a Trek board take this one:

Come on. Burnham works well with others, especially Tilly, Stamets and Saru. She's been a team player since she came aboard Discovery. We've seen Tilly, Saru, and Stamets come up with cool solutions while Burnham is around. Owo even initiated and completed the escape from the basement in New Eden.

This whole "she does everything and no-one gets to shine unless she's gone" complaint is really disingenuous and completely incorrect. Each character has different skill sets and at different times they've solved problems with those skill sets.

Could Burnham have piloted the donut manuver? No. Could Burnham navigate the Mycelial network to get the ship and crew home from the MU? No. Could Burnham save herself on the asteroid? No. Could she even save Pike free-falling to his death? Not by herself, she still needed Owo and Detmer to control the descent. Could Burnham save them all from Mudd by herself? No. Could she solve the translator problem when the Sphere caused Babel on board? No, it was Saru who helped save the day.

Could Burnham even find or save Spock by herself in this last episode? No.

Hmmm, it's almost as if the show is trying to tell us that no one person can do everything alone. Characters need to trust and depend on each other. Pike/Tyler and Stamets/Tilly stories in this very episode were cases in point.

What a strange stance for a Star Trek show to take...

IF you disagree with STD's obvious agenda, the fans label you a racist. I've never felt prior Star Trek shows put forth this agenda and I'm not a minority (no pun intended) in this viewpoint.
The “obvious agenda” of what, exactly? I see no substantial difference between this Trek’s “agenda” of progressivism and any previous one. Aesthetically different? Sure. Otherwise? Not seeing it.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Oh, don’t worry, Gene. It only took me the whole Season 1 before I got really interested. :D

I must have attempted watching the first season of Expanse like a dozen different times.

But after that, I went through the rest of the seasons just fine. :D
I had forgotten about that show, I need to get back into it. I watched part of the first season when it was first new. It didn't jump out at me so my interest kind-of petered out. But, I've heard really good things, specifically that it gets a lot better as you go along. I might have been a bit hard on it when I started watching, I've heard enough good things from various people that I'll have to give it a chance, I'm sure I'll like it once I get into it. I like Thomas Jane as an actor.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I like STD, and for the series to attract and maintain an audience it has to adapt to the times we live in now.

Many are quite "into" Star Trek with how an "authentic" series should be, and that is fine. As for myself, I'm not quite so concerned about it, even though I've watched some series twice.

As for STD being SJW portraying women as strong and men as weak (and worse),I wonder if they have watched Game of Thrones :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I had forgotten about that show, I need to get back into it. I watched part of the first season when it was first new. It didn't jump out at me so my interest kind-of petered out. But, I've heard really good things, specifically that it gets a lot better as you go along. I might have been a bit hard on it when I started watching, I've heard enough good things from various people that I'll have to give it a chance, I'm sure I'll like it once I get into it. I like Thomas Jane as an actor.
Yeah, overall I am glad I gave the ENTIRE FIRST season of “Expanse” a chance, although it was kind of painful and required much patience (sooooooooo boring). :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like STD, and for the series to attract and maintain an audience it has to adapt to the times we live in now.

Many are quite "into" Star Trek with how an "authentic" series should be, and that is fine. As for myself, I'm not quite so concerned about it, even though I've watched some series twice.

As for STD being SJW portraying women as strong and men as weak (and worse),I wonder if they have watched Game of Thrones :p
Yeah you’re right. Are there any really powerful men in GOT? :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It's popularity and renewal suggest that most people do find it entertaining. The most recent episode just looked gorgeous on an OLED in HDR. The 5.1 mix was really deep too. Got my Quake 10B's going nicely.

Orville also had a fantastic episode.

Gene - out of the recent batch of shows - are there any you like? It could be that you're politically put off by today's programming.
The Orville has some good shows, especially the 2 most recent episodes with the Robots trying to destroy Earth. However, that show also goes into too much drama, has a few bad actors, and the first 2 episodes of Season 2 were so bad they were unwatchable.

STD has some likeable elements such as the sound, some of the cinematography and some of the characters (ie. Saru, Pike) and the shorts are actually better than the full episodes IMO. I just can't handle the blatant bashing of the male ego in that show. Even my wife noticed and commented. It is what it is though so I guess we will just keep watching and hoping for the best.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Of course we want social justice and Star Trek as always brought these themes in prior shows based on current events. However, STD does it differently. They do it at the expense of targeting most of the white male characters on the show as weak, incompetent or arrogant. They especially made the Klingon males 2-dimensional characters with associating them as the stereotypical Trump supporter. No problem on the show can be solved without the messiah Michael Burnham's intervention. IF you disagree with STD's obvious agenda, the fans label you a racist. I've never felt prior Star Trek shows put forth this agenda and I'm not a minority (no pun intended) in this viewpoint.
I haven't seen Discovery yet so I'll defer to your experience with it, but is it obnoxious because of HOW the "social justice" is dealt with in it? Just a theory here, but I think one thing that makes a message of diversity and inclusiveness MORE effective is how smoothly it's handled. When a show or movie tries so hard to be "woke" and beat you over the head with what they're driving at, it can be a bit much, even if you agree with the writers' message. Whereas one thing that made Star Trek TOS (and it's follow-ups) SO effective in the message was the method in which Roddenberry delivered it. On the old bridge you had Uhura, Chekov (that was a bold move in those times actually), Sulu, and even completely foreign SPECIES (Spock). They never beat you over the head with there being this variety of characters, all races/home regions/genders/species, but they did a great job of demonstrating that these were all competent crew members who just so happened to be what they were. At a time when international and race relations were tense and downright hostile, TOS showed this kaleidescope of people working together for a singular mission.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I haven't seen Discovery yet so I'll defer to your experience with it, but is it obnoxious because of HOW the "social justice" is dealt with in it? Just a theory here, but I think one thing that makes a message of diversity and inclusiveness MORE effective is how smoothly it's handled. When a show or movie tries so hard to be "woke" and beat you over the head with what they're driving at, it can be a bit much, even if you agree with the writers' message. Whereas one thing that made Star Trek TOS (and it's follow-ups) SO effective in the message was the method in which Roddenberry delivered it. On the old bridge you had Uhura, Chekov (that was a bold move in those times actually), Sulu, and even completely foreign SPECIES (Spock). They never beat you over the head with there being this variety of characters, all races/home regions/genders/species, but they did a great job of demonstrating that these were all competent crew members who just so happened to be what they were. At a time when international and race relations were tense and downright hostile, TOS showed this kaleidescope of people working together for a singular mission.
Yes the writers of STD go out of their way to make political and social justice messages and that's what bugs me the most. Not to mention the show completely diverts from Canon when they actually advertised it wouldn't. Some of it is entertaining IF you can overlook all of this nonsense and treat it as a sci-fi show, NOT Star Trek.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One cool thing about STD is that Spock is actually on this series (2nd season).

I’ve never considered myself a big fan of ST, but Spock is unequivocally my favorite ST character. :D

Maybe I liked STS from the beginning because the star of the series is Spocks’s adopted sister (Michael).

Now I get to see Spock, Spock’s mom, dad, and adopted sister! :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
="AcuDefTechGuy, post: 1302454, member: 26997"]One cool thing about STD is that Spock is actually on this series (2nd season).

I’ve never considered myself a big fan of ST, but Spock is unequivocally my favorite ST character. :D

Maybe I liked STS from the beginning because the star of the series is Spocks’s adopted sister (Michael).

Now I get to see Spock, Spock’s mom, dad, and adopted sister! :D
It's a fan service gimmick. Spock has been in plenty of Trek prior. The writers can't come up with new ideas so they rehash old characters and rip off video games.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's a fan service gimmick. Spock has been in plenty of Trek prior. The writers can't come up with new ideas so they rehash old characters and rip off video games.
I didn't know there were any ST video games. :D

I usually overlook politics when I am watching, but I can tell they are trying to please a few crowds to gain more fans.

The Spock-influence definitely worked on me and apparently other non-Trekkies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis