Will Star Trek Discovery Get Cancelled?

G

Gene O'Mick

Audiophyte
People have been finding fault with the new Star Trek show since 1987. The characters aren't interesting. It's too dark. It's forcing social justice down our throats. It violates canon. The aliens look stupid. They're introducing bad ridiculous science into my science fiction show based on bad ridiculous science.

It's the paradox of being a Trekkie. You want more Star Trek, but no, not like that. I get it. I got into Star Trek with TNG. Then I was iffy about DS9. Then iffy about Voyager. I didn't even watch Enterprise when it aired. Now I think DS9 and Enterprise are awesome. I liked Discovery off the bat, but I had some of the same boo moments, like when Saru described his planet as having basically a two species ecosystem (which turned out to be a gross oversimplification for a science officer). But I took it for what it is. Every Star Trek season 1 is slow starting until the show finds its footing. It's going to have a couple of stinkers. It's going to have inconsistencies. The characters and the background aren't fully developed.

Canon has been violated since season 1 of TOS. The Klingons have been "butchered" since Star Trek the Motion Picture. Spock has been having previously unmentioned siblings since Star Trek V. The supporting characters have always been decoration until they've been fleshed out. Spore drive is only more ridiculous than warp drive because warp drive inspired people to think about how we could make it possible. A mycelial network, silly as that is, may be considered analogous to dark matter. I dunno, physics isn't my thing. Biology is, and Star Trek has many many sins in that department starting with the mere existence of Spock. Not just the fact that Vulcans are basically humans with pointy ears, green blood, and extra eyelids. The fact that Sarek and Amanda wouldn't be able to have biological offspring with each other to begin with, since reproductive exclusivity is part of what makes a species a species. But is that going to prevent me from enjoying Journey to Babel? Nope. That's one of my favorite episodes of TOS.

I think paying for it is BS, especially where I still have to tolerate advertisements, but at $6 a month, it's a minor sacrifice I'm willing to make for my favorite franchise. If I didn't actually like Discovery, I would've stopped paying for it a long time ago.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I think paying for it is BS, especially where I still have to tolerate advertisements, but at $6 a month, it's a minor sacrifice I'm willing to make for my favorite franchise. If I didn't actually like Discovery, I would've stopped paying for it a long time ago.
And, if you wait to watch it until the last episode is aired, then binge it all in one month, then it is really cheap. ;)

G

Gene O'Mick

Audiophyte
And, if you wait to watch it until the last episode is aired, then binge it all in one month, then it is really cheap. ;)
Sure. But do you know how long it's been for me since I've had the itchy joy of having to wait a week or several months until I got some resolution to the previous episode? That makes it feel Trek. The weekly thing brings me back to season 1 of TNG. The season ending cliff hangers bring me back to the very first time I saw Best of Both Worlds Part I. The episode ends and you go goddammit now I have to wait, but that anticipation is wonderful.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw the entire ST Disc S02.

I didn't like all the attempt at humor in the S02 finale because of the dire situations. I mean if I'm about to be blown away to my death, I wouldn't be cracking any jokes. But that's just me. :D

But overall, if I subtract all the attempted humor and few other things, I still enjoyed the finale and the entire season.

I look forward to S03 (which has been renewed by CBS). :D

And I also look forward to the spin-off "Section 31" series by CBS. :D

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I didn't like all the attempt at humor in the S02 finale because of the dire situations. I mean if I'm about to be blown away to my death, I wouldn't be cracking any jokes. But that's just me. :D
You'd be surprised. Having been in combat zones and dropping troops right into the thick of it, somehow the guys maintain a sense of humor right up until go-time. The ride home (minus a few guys) however can be a bit quieter. I think humor is a bit of a coping mechanism that we have built in. Helps us to alleviate some of the tension beforehand so that we can better perform the task at hand. Some of those guys had me rolling. Especially the Marines. SOOOOOO un-PC it's fantastic.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
the guys maintain a sense of humor right up until go-time.
I can imaging humor up until go-time, but not while bullets are flying, right?

When you’re dodging bullets, returning fire, and saving lives, I don’t think you even have a second for humor.

But that’s nitpicking on my part. It’s entertainment, not real life.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot and look forward to season 3. :D

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
I can imaging humor up until go-time, but not while bullets are flying, right?

When you’re dodging bullets, returning fire, and saving lives, I don’t think you even have a second for humor.

But that’s nitpicking on my part. It’s entertainment, not real life.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot and look forward to season 3. :D
True. When you're in the midst of the action, it's no nonsense. The wisecracking you see in the MIDDLE of a firefight or rescue in movies is definitely pure Hollywood.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Speaking of our military, have any of you guys been reading that our military has come out saying UFO'S are real? Pilots off the east coast have been reporting UFO'S for quite some time to their commanding officers.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
Loved the first episode of season 3. Looks like season 3 won't disappoint.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
Read an article that stated episode 2 of season 3 is the one they should have started the season with, but after watching it last night, I don't agree with that. The one thing about shorter seasons, is that most episodes feel more like a mini movie, although this one seemed more like a filler episode.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis