Will autonomous cars repo themselves?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Just pondering the world at large and this question popped into my head. Of all the things that autonomous vehicles will be capable of I was left wondering if designers have talked about this feature :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I can just imagine the outrage when the car sense it's out of the garage and starts driving back to the dealer/bank ignoring user input.

It'll really be fun when someone figures out how to hack the cars to take over control...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Just pondering the world at large and this question popped into my head. Of all the things that autonomous vehicles will be capable of I was left wondering if designers have talked about this feature :)
Never thought about it until now.....but, yes, almost certainly that would be the case!

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
We actually can disable your car for both theives and reposession via OnStar already.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The big question- if they do something wrong, will they act like they were told to stand in the corner?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Apparently, disabling the auto-braking feature is SOP for UBER, which resulted in the death of a woman walking her bike across the street in Phoenix. The control computer "saw" the woman six seconds before the car hit her without slowing and the woman in the car tried to swerve, but only about a second before. UBER has suspended autonomous cars in PHX and some other areas.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
On the question of repossessing a car, I think the "what if" question of someone in an emergency driving their child to the hospital, etc would need to be answered! An unscheduled trip to the repo lot could be a death sentence in such a scenario (an allergic reaction as an easy example)!
I'm inclined to think some rule such as "eyes on the car" might be required to just park it, prior to commandeering it and anyone inside. I'd assume the ability to track it would be a given!
If you drove straight to the repo lot, you would need some serious security at the repo location. For all you know, if someone is in the car, the person you just "hi-jacked" could be packing some serious drugs and a couple of assault rifles, and might be "out of their mind with rage" by the time they get there!!
Realistically, I think it will be a long while before there is not some means to manually over-ride the automated system.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Whoever thought of today's 'autonomous' car must have had this Twilight Zone episode on their mind!

Twilight Zone: You Drive

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
On the question of repossessing a car, I think the "what if" question of someone in an emergency driving their child to the hospital, etc would need to be answered! An unscheduled trip to the repo lot could be a death sentence in such a scenario (an allergic reaction as an easy example)!
I'm inclined to think some rule such as "eyes on the car" might be required to just park it, prior to commandeering it and anyone inside. I'd assume the ability to track it would be a given!
If you drove straight to the repo lot, you would need some serious security at the repo location. For all you know, if someone is in the car, the person you just "hi-jacked" could be packing some serious drugs and a couple of assault rifles, and might be "out of their mind with rage" by the time they get there!!
Realistically, I think it will be a long while before there is not some means to manually over-ride the automated system.
Yes, not to mention that most cars or at least around here are parked in garages so the damage to the home would be significant if the car is left on its own.

I would think it will just disable itself so it's of no use until a person comes and picks it up. There are dealers around here that install some type of remote disable on their cars, that they finance, for this purpose. I assume it may only be done at certain risk groups or credit scores.I only know because I have seen 2 of my "entry level" employees have this happen to them. One was disabled at home so she couldn't get to work. The other was disabled at work so she couldn't get home.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Whoever thought of today's 'autonomous' car must have had this Twilight Zone episode on their mind!

Twilight Zone: You Drive
Note to self:
If a driver-less car is stalking you, do not go into the road when attempting to evade it!:rolleyes:

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I am not too optimistic about the future of such vehicles.
First, they will remain very expensive and costly to insure and costly to repair. You have to be a millionaire to own one.
Also, you own such a vehicle and it kills someone. You are going to be in real trouble!
Finally, when those vehicles have killed a certain number of people, they will have to be removed from circulation.
No! , artificial intelligence has its limits and will remain limited.
My 2 cents!

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
First, they will remain very expensive and costly to insure and costly to repair. You have to be a millionaire to own one.
Also, you own such a vehicle and it kills someone. You are going to be in real trouble!
Finally, when those vehicles have killed a certain number of people, they will have to be removed from circulation.
My 2 cents!
I think you are being a bit short sighted.

Maybe for the next ~25 years this will be true.

But in the next 50 years, we will have completely autonomous cars, no steering wheel, etc. It is coming.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My 2 cents!
Keep in mind, they don't have to be perfect!
All they have to do is beat we humans, who did not evolve to be optimized for continuous attention to something that is more or less the same as it was for teh last hour (driving interstate).
As an analogy, when I was doing work in Human Factors, read some research where they needed a human to visually monitor test tubes passing by, to determine the results of blood work (I think computer vision systems could easily perform this function now). This was a medical test lab and they had a very difficult time getting the high level of reliability they needed. The positive indication (for the relatively rare disease they were testing for) was an off-color which was easily distinguished, but not a dramatic contrast from the others (let's say it was blue-grey among grey samples). They ended up solving the problem by "seeding" the line with "dummy positives".
(I don't remember the exact times/numbers, but the concept will be clear)
Before seeding, a "positive" would show up randomly, but at an average of once every two hours! This was too long to hold the inspector's attention, and they would lapse into daydreaming. By mixing in "dummy positives" such that positives were presented every 10 minutes on average, the inspector could maintain his vigil at a much higher level and the reliability of detection went up dramatically! I don't believe they told the inspector about the dummies, but he also found his job more rewarding after the trickery!
So I guess the conclusion is, if we want to make people better drivers, we need to present them with extra "near miss" accidents to keep them engaged!

But my point is we are not great at driving and I know of no one who has not at some point in their life taken chances in the form of driving when they know they are very tired and a lot of prescription drugs are clearly labeled "do not drive or operate heavy machinery" and most people I know (myself included) don't give that a second thought!
If automated systems can perform more reliably that we can, that is the measure by which these systems will be gauged. It seems they are not far from this target right now!

As far as having a person as a back up, I don't see that working out very well! Just like the "positive" test tube about every two hours, a person needs to engage their mind and if the assigned task is dreadfully boring the human mind will wander!

PS just for the record, I am 59 and have had one minor accident that was my fault; however, if I am honest, I know I have had other instances where dumb luck worked in my favor to avoid an accident!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis