Will a marantz worth 3x the money?

S

Siegelion

Audiophyte
I just bought the klipsch reference set from Costco and bought the denon s750h receiver.

They are such a huge improvement over my tv speakers for like $1100 total..

Now, I’m just bump into some YouTube video explaining how good Marantz receiver is, so I am really curious
a 7.2 channel marantz costs 1.2K comparing to 400$ for my denon receiver.. how big a difference could they make?

I personally just watch Netflix, play music with YouTube etc, not super into audiophile stuff. Play game only occasionally maybe during winter breaks.

so really want to know if there is any value in a more premium avr.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If the Denon has the required power, ports and features for your needs, the Marantz SR5015, a $1,200 model, has a feature set that might just be overkill and more money in your case. For others, the Marantz feature set may be essential.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
99% of YT reviews are pointless BS fluff jobs.

For the comparable levels of Denon and Marantz product, there is precious little difference between them. These would be more aptly compared by looking at the upper tier of Denon, like the 3700 which is the equivalent of the Marantz SR5015, the 4700 to the 6015...
I may have my numbers crossed slightly with the 3700 comparing more closely with the 6015, but it doesn't make much difference.
At that level, there is almost no difference in audible SQ, when operated within standard parameters (i.e. not being overdriven).
I cannot speak to the Denon you purchased, more than to say that Denon does make a good product and that the differences will be slightly wider than those between Marantz the upper tier of Denon. Is it something you are likely to really hear? Probably not.
Most likely, any equipment differences may be in the Amp stage, DACs and other processing chips utilized, and overall build quality (lighter weight chassis, more plastic, etc).

End of the day, the value of a higher end AVR really lies in the eye of the potential owner and what your goals are. If you want to pursue critical music listening, you may very well find a difference, but would likely also require a more revealing set of speakers. If you want to enjoy movies in your home and you music listening is more passive, you could very well be fine.

If you really want to explore the value of spending an additional 1-2K on an AVR, you need to really determine what your requirements are, what features you need, connectivity options, etc. It may be that in 5 yrs, say, you want to upgrade across the board. This hobby has a way of getting people to do that! ;)
That may well entail you upgrading a new TV, getting the latest in AVR technology, and upgrading Speakers and Subwoofers to something more neutral and accurate... If you chose to consider a path like that, we always recommend starting a little AV piggy bank and setting aside a little at a time until you can afford your next upgrade. shopping smart and upgrading incrementally can get you a long ways in 5yrs time!

In the mean time, if you are happy with the way things are now... ENJOY! Get out when you can and experience some other gear, audition other speakers... If you want. Only then can you really decide for yourself if there is value in upgrading to more high end gear.

:cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Consider that the better sound quality would come from a change of speakers, not the electronics particularly (I consider differences among avrs to be fairly small and I have four different ones ranging from flagship to cheap). Personally I'd think about adding a sub to what you have as a next step. The feature set on a nicer avr you might like, then again you might not use or care. If your current avr makes nice sounds, just use it.

S

Siegelion

Audiophyte
Sounds like i'd have better value spending that money upgrading to reference premiere klipsch speakers then.

Thank you guys.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like i'd have better value spending that money upgrading to reference premiere klipsch speakers then.

Thank you guys.
They do seem to get higher praise than the reference series. Then there's a lot out there aside from Klipsch (not a brand I'd generally consider).

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
I just bought the klipsch reference set from Costco and bought the denon s750h receiver.

They are such a huge improvement over my tv speakers for like $1100 total..

Now, I’m just bump into some YouTube video explaining how good Marantz receiver is, so I am really curious
a 7.2 channel marantz costs 1.2K comparing to 400$ for my denon receiver.. how big a difference could they make?

I personally just watch Netflix, play music with YouTube etc, not super into audiophile stuff. Play game only occasionally maybe during winter breaks.

so really want to know if there is any value in a more premium avr.
your question implies that you will be satisfied with your current purchases. enjoy getting to know your new toys.

upgrading can be fun but only if you know what you need.

way back in the late 1900s i made the mistake of buying the big bad denon 5800 way before i was ready for such a beast just because it was on the cover of home theater magazine.

fluance was just starting out and i bought a pair of their pretty boxes then ended up killing the left woofer due to my ignorance.

am i projecting, yup.

i'm not implying that you are at all as ignorant as i was.

will an avr be worth 3x the money? it will if it has something you need.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis