Wich speakers are the best for Max 2500 euro?

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks allot for the info! It really helps
But what's the main difference between a sealed or ported sub ?
I want the sub to work on movies and hardcore music thats the most important wich one do you recommend then?
Ported sub will have more output and sealed will be more controlled. If you have small room and you dont need it to play super loud go with sealed, if you have big room and want it play loud get ported.

M

Mikiiieee2752

Enthusiast
Hmmm its a difficult choice because I like to play super Loud and have a small room but I have to think about my neighbors haha

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Hmmm its a difficult choice because I like to play super Loud and have a small room but I have to think about my neighbors haha
Well if you worry can you play it loud enough get the ported Monolith+ as your volume controls will manage the maximum output from it. I myself are happy with the sealed XXLS400 and I'm using less than half of its potential power and I can get it loud enough for my taste in my small room. And to my taste I want it to be well balanced with the main speakers yet it will vibrate sofa when movies require it.

M

Mikiiieee2752

Enthusiast
That's exactly what I want I think I know my choice haha go for the sealed XXLS400
I have 2 weeks to take my decision on my w10 so I go order the XXLS400 and take my w10 back in time without having too much time without a sub haha

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

That's exactly what I want I think I know my choice haha go for the sealed XXLS400
I have 2 weeks to take my decision on my w10 so I go order the XXLS400 and take my w10 back in time without having too much time without a sub haha
Let us know how you like and how they compare!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks allot for the info! It really helps
But what's the main difference between a sealed or ported sub ?
I want the sub to work on movies and hardcore music thats the most important wich one do you recommend then?
Vented subs are more efficient than sealed. They typically offer a flat response with deeper notes than sealed. This doesn't come without a trade-off, though. Vented subs have a sharper drop-off below the tuning of the vent. With the Monolith subs, this drop-off will be down in infrasonics

It's false to assume that one is tighter or more musical than the other. Either can be poorly designed or well-designed, and either can be a ringing, resonant mess or can be tight and articulate. I think you're safe with BK Electronics designed subs, though. They are well-reputed. They are a subwoofer company, designing subs to sell subs -- not just as a means to complete a 5.1 package.

I'll post a graph in a little bit to show the difference between how a diver models in a sealed box vs. ported.

M

Mikiiieee2752

Enthusiast
I don't know the brand but I hear really great things about it so I'm really curious what it can perform
To post a graph would be really nice to make a good choice
But I think of what everybody says and my wishes to go for the XXLS400 sub

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

I don't know the brand but I hear really great things about it so I'm really curious what it can perform
To post a graph would be really nice to make a good choice
But I think of what everybody says and my wishes to go for the XXLS400 sub
For the price they sell they perform really well. In European market you need to pay 1000-2000€ to get same performance as all other European brands have retailers who take shares. There are some reviews in the web about those subs you can read as well.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Here's a graph contrasting the predicted responses of the Peerless XXLS12 in a 2.5 cu. ft. sealed box with a Q of 0.681 (yellow curve), and the Eminence Lab 12 in a 3.5 cu. ft. vented box tuned to 22Hz (green curve). According to this review, the Monolith sub is based on a modified version of the Lab 12. And of course, the BK Elec XXLS400 is based on the Peerless driver.

THESE ARE NOT ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS -- only predicted models. Polyfill, DSP, displacement of bracing, and other factors will change the curves somewhat for production subs. This is only a general illustration of the difference between a sealed sub and ported.

Both curves are simulated with a 200W signal, showing the excursion limits of the drivers. Neither has any simulated DSP applied. Unknown what electronic filters BK Electronics applies to shape the curves or limit overexcursion. Since BK claims a -3dB point of 20Hz for both the Monolith and the XXLS400, I assume both have some measure of DSP applied.

Last edited:
M

Mikiiieee2752

Enthusiast
first of all im sorry for my late reaction i was very busy lately
and i want to thank you for you troubles
second i understand some of it but im a little new to this so can you explain a little more in easier understandable language ?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
first of all im sorry for my late reaction i was very busy lately
and i want to thank you for you troubles
second i understand some of it but im a little new to this so can you explain a little more in easier understandable language ?
Looking at the graph, you can draw several conclusions. At 30Hz the predicted response of the Monolith sub is 6dB stronger than that of the XXLS400. At 20Hz, the difference is 8dB. This is in spite of the fact that the sealed sub has more watts than the vented. It's clear that the Monolith sub is more efficient than the XXLS400, as is generally the case with all subs with similar drivers. And a sub that can do more with less power maintains more in reserve for the peaks. If the XXLS truly is flat to 23Hz or so, most of its range must be severely attenuated to meet its max output at that frequency. In other words, if its max output at 23Hz is xmax limited to 99dB, then BK Elec would have to limit the rest of the range to 99dB to keep its response flat. The Monolith on the other hand would be flat to 25Hz at 108dB, so it's capable of playing louder.

In practice at normal listening levels what this means is that when the sub is asked to reproduce a kick drum that's 3 times as loud as the bass line, the Monolith is more likely to have enough power in reserve to handle it, whereas the XXLS might compress the attacks. And of course, movie explosions can be felt, not just heard.

The only reason the XXLS might be preferable is if you want a sub less likely to bottom out on frequencies lower than 16Hz, or if you absolutely can't spare the space needed for the Monolith's added cabinet size. I say all that to say the Monolith sub would most likely be a better choice.

Last edited:
M

Mikiiieee2752

Enthusiast
Wow okaay that I can understand thanks!!
But I listen To hardcore music for most time and movies so the bass should provide the same power all the time not continually different like you explaind in the bass line and the kick drum I leek to feel the bass not just hear it
But with a sealed sub you have more control over you bass right?
My room is not that big so can't the xxxls400 perform better with less space?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I would think given a choice between a sub that goes from 0 - 99dB and another that goes from 0 - 108dB, the one with the greater range would give you more control over your bass. (Of course, those are only simulated numbers based on theoretical models, but the difference in output between the XXLS400 and the Monolith will be similar.) Just be conservative when setting the sub level. Turn it down till it blends with your Bronze mains, such that you can't hear where the mains end and the sub begins.

But isn't it too late to return your BXW-10 at this point, or at least to give yourself enough time to compare it with one of the BK Elec subs?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis