Why the dislike for "AudioQuest" interconnects?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Garcia. So do you like the "Monoprice" or "Wired Home" (Parts Express)? Or...?
BJC is my favorite, but 1 of their models is really stiff, go for the more flexible model.

Monoprice do the job, but they don't work for me on every piece of gear. The Monoprice RCAs tend to fit really tight! On some gear it's fine, on other gear, they won't fit at all.

I've also become a fan of MediaBridge, bought from amazon.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
BJC is my favorite, but 1 of their models is really stiff, go for the more flexible model.

Monoprice do the job, but they don't work for me on every piece of gear. The Monoprice RCAs tend to fit really tight! On some gear it's fine, on other gear, they won't fit at all.

I've also become a fan of MediaBridge, bought from amazon.
Thanks slippery. On those "MonoPrice", i've read by many that the they can be tight - can those prongs be spread-out a little, using a pair of needle nose pliers? Will check in to the mediabridge too... :)

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I only skimmed the article, but page 3 seems to be reasonably relevant.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/CableCapacitance.pdf

As Biz said, it really only affects high frequencies and you'll need a couple hundred foot run before that even begins to happen.
Thanks Fuzz. There's alot to know with audio - some relevant, some not so relevant. I think the general consensus, literature, and maybe some common sense, will get me there... :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I've heard a few people express their dislike for "AudioQuest" RCA interconnects. I actually reversed an online purchase, for a set, as a result. Please enlighten me as to why these have that stigma attached to them... Many years ago I had 2 pair connecting my separates and did'nt think anything of it (though I probably would'nt have noticed anything wrong with them unless it was drastic...) Thanks Audiphiles! :)
And that bold part is the whole point- if they're so amazing, they should ALWAYS sound better.

One of the big questions for me- how is a 6' HDMI cable worth $1500 or a 2m stereo pair interconnect worth $6995.00? Is it the batteries? Those are the same type used in garage door openers, so no. Is it the little box, switch and the wire that loops from one to the other and back? Not likely. Oh, wait- it must be the LED that indicates the power state.

They state that the batteries "bias the dielectric and reduce/eliminate cable break-in time". OK, a dielectric is a material that can be polarized, but that only happens with DC and audio is AC.

Does anyone know how this would benefit the audio?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks slippery. On those "MonoPrice", i've read by many that the they can be tight - can those prongs be spread-out a little, using a pair of needle nose pliers? Will check in to the mediabridge too... :)
LOL!

Yeah, you would think that would be the EZ solution, right? WRONG!:mad:

When I tried that, the prong quickly snapped right off! D'oh!

I'm a fairly skilled electronics tech as a hobby. Maybe I should have tried to be a little more careful, but I certainly didn't feel like I was being too forceful with it when it broke. After that, if the MP cable fits easily, then I will use it. If not, then I go with a different brand.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
LOL!

Yeah, you would think that would be the EZ solution, right? WRONG!:mad:

When I tried that, the prong quickly snapped right off! D'oh!

I'm a fairly skilled electronics tech as a hobby. Maybe I should have tried to be a little more careful, but I certainly didn't feel like I was being too forceful with it when it broke. After that, if the MP cable fits easily, then I will use it. If not, then I go with a different brand.
Thanks again Slip... :)

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
In my research I came across "Digital" RCA interconnects. It seems that these tend to be a 'step-up' in quality over the analog cables. Can digital be used over analog, to connect my separates? Do any of you have wisdom on this? :)

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Common sense and the ability to sniff out BS are important in this hobby. There is no shortage of companies like AudioQuest that charge big bucks to solve problems that don't exist. For example, if you'd really like to have your intelligence insulted, see:
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm
Steve, in my research I came across "Digital" RCA interconnects. It seems that these tend to be a 'step-up' in quality over the analog cables. Can digital be used over analog, to connect my separates? Do any of you have wisdom on this? :)

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I think this may be a solidifying question to my answer...:) Compliments of "BJC":

"Turning back to the world of coaxial cable, we can now answer a few questions. Can analog cables be used in digital applications? Yes, up to a point; but the looser tolerances of older analog cable designs will limit their run lengths, at least when used in high-bandwidth applications like SDI video. Can digital cables be used in analog applications? Yes, absolutely; the same tight tolerances which make digital cables appropriate for digital applications make them superb for analog applications. One may not "need" the improvement, but it will never hurt, and can help."

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Looks like you found the answer to your question. ;)

One other useful tidbit about different cable types:
http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/speaker-cable-and-audio-interconnects

Audio Interconnects:
For audio interconnects, shielded twisted pair or shielded COAX work extremely well for audio. Unshielded twisted pair is good for rejecting magnetic pickup but not so good at eliminating capacitive pickup (unless the interfaces between components are balanced). Shielded twisted pair provides excellent shielding for low frequency signals in which the magnetic pickup is the major concern. The effectiveness of the twisting increases as the number of twists per unit length increases. Shielded twisted pair is more than enough for frequencies below 100kHz, but above 1 Mhz the losses in the shielded twisted pair increases considerably. In addition, a twisted pair cable cannot maintain the proper impedance necessary for video applications (75 ohms). This is why I generally prefer double braided foil shielded COAX cables designed to be used for video applications such as the Belden 1694A or equivalent. If a cable can pass video signals over long distances with no problems, it will easily handle any line level audio signal without any loss of signal or fidelity or chance of noise pickup, or cross coupling from adjacent cabling.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Looks like you found the answer to your question. ;)

One other useful tidbit about different cable types:
http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/speaker-cable-and-audio-interconnects
Great Article! When referring to "Shielded twisted pair", is this referencing the center conductor? As opposed to a "solid" center conductor? BTW, I went ahead and ordered The monoprice Premium digital RCA cables, one for my sub that I have yet to choose too.
I'm going to experiment with the
Belden 1694A RG-6/U, terminate some RCA connectors on it soon, and see how that works. I read it's digital coax and outperforms analog. Also, if you know, are these RCA's supposed to be filled with a potting compound to seal them?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Great Article! When referring to "Shielded twisted pair", is this referencing the center conductor? As opposed to a "solid" center conductor?
Correct. You would have a twisted pair of conductors as opposed to the coax arrangement of a metal shield around a solid core.

I'm going to experiment with the Belden 1694A RG-6/U, terminate some RCA connectors on it soon, and see how that works. I read it's digital coax and outperforms analog. Also, if you know, are these RCA's supposed to be filled with a potting compound to seal them?
Never made my own, so couldn't say.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Thanks Agar. In your opinion, will there be an audible difference between the "Monoprice Premium" & "BJC LC-1"? Because the "Monoprice" are a budget I like! But I don't want to do what would be considered "skimping" on the all-important interconnects...
For very long RCA unbalanced analog interconnects the BJC LC-1 is much better! With very long being well more than 10 feet (3 meters). In fact the BJC LC-1 is may be the best long cable available. It's not about the capacitance which is excellent, it's about the very low end-to-end resistance of the Shield/Return.

Thinking about it some more, there are some other bulk cables that may be better than the LC-1.
I can't find specs on the Monoprice, but with a double braided shield it might be very good.

Last edited:
Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
Great Article! When referring to "Shielded twisted pair", is this referencing the center conductor? As opposed to a "solid" center conductor? BTW, I went ahead and ordered The monoprice Premium digital R
No, it's referring to two center conductors. The opposite of 'solid' center conductor is 'stranded' center conductor.
While Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) is excellent for balanced interconnects. Coax is better for RCA unbalanced interconnects.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I wouldn't worry about capacitance unless you have a passive preamp that has very high impedance out as they usually are connected to a volume pot. That will roll off high frequency for sure and some into midband.
Audioquest works as most RCA cables but at what cost? Is it audibly different? Chances are very poor that they are.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
No, it's referring to two center conductors. The opposite of 'solid' center conductor is 'stranded' center conductor.
While Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) is excellent for balanced interconnects. Coax is better for RCA unbalanced interconnects.
If you have time Speed, could you elaborate on the balanced vs unbalanced. Through my reading i've heard this terminology a time or two - but have not heard any elaboration on it. Or if you know of an article I can read on it... :)

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I wouldn't worry about capacitance unless you have a passive preamp that has very high impedance out as they usually are connected to a volume pot. That will roll off high frequency for sure and some into midband.
Audioquest works as most RCA cables but at what cost? Is it audibly different? Chances are very poor that they are.
Thanks for your wisdom crafts. Ended up ordering the Monoprice digital RCA interconnects. The price was good and i've heard that Digital RCA cables are manufactured to a higher standard - surpassing that of analog, so they were cheap and i'm giving them a try... :)

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
These papers may be way more than you want to know:

Design of High-Performance Balanced Audio Interfaces
Bill Whitlock - Jensen Transformers, Inc. (Edited By Rod Elliott)
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/balanced-2.htm

Balanced Line Technology
Doug Self

http://www.douglas-self.com/ampins/balanced/balanced.htm

The important thing is that it's a interconnect system not just a cable. The output stage of one unit the cable then the input stage of the other unit. Much better for very long cable runs or in noisy electrical environments.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis