Why the dislike for "AudioQuest" interconnects?

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I've heard a few people express their dislike for "AudioQuest" RCA interconnects. I actually reversed an online purchase, for a set, as a result. Please enlighten me as to why these have that stigma attached to them... Many years ago I had 2 pair connecting my separates and did'nt think anything of it (though I probably would'nt have noticed anything wrong with them unless it was drastic...) Thanks Audiphiles! :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I own a few sets too that I bought while I was experimenting with different things to see for myself if there's really a benefit or not. For the price they don't do anything that less expensive interconnects don't already do.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I own a few sets too that I bought while I was experimenting with different things to see for myself if there's really a benefit or not. For the price they don't do anything that less expensive interconnects don't already do.
Thanks Garcia. So do you like the "Monoprice" or "Wired Home" (Parts Express)? Or...?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Unless you're looking for cables that have a name brand/ bragging rights, they offer nothing.

Blue Jean Cables for high quality and slightly dressy cables.
Monoprice for quality budget cables.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Hi Steve... We meet again. :) In your estimation the "Ofc vs Pure Copper" thing - does this have any significant merit? For my first set of DIY speaker cable assemblies, I purchased some Beldon 14/4 Speaker wire. It's not classified as "OFC", but only as "pure copper conductors". Was this a major blunder? Should I have purchased OFC conductors? What is your take on this subject? Thanks...

http://www.parts-express.com/belden-5102up-14-awg-4c-cable-hi-flex-in-wall-speaker-wire-cl3-per-foot-usa--102-1160

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Unless you're looking for cables that have a name brand/ bragging rights, they offer nothing.

Blue Jean Cables for high quality and slightly dressy cables.
Monoprice for quality budget cables.
Thanks Agar. In your opinion, will there be an audible difference between the "Monoprice Premium" & "BJC LC-1"? Because the "Monoprice" are a budget I like! But I don't want to do what would be considered "skimping" on the all-important interconnects...

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
In your estimation the "Ofc vs Pure Copper" thing - does this have any significant merit?
Nothing I'd lose sleep about:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire.htm#oxygenfree
Oddly enough, it isn't the freedom of oxygen in copper wire that makes any difference. The process of removing oxygen also removes the impurity of iron and it's this impurity that can cause the resistance to be slightly higher. The difference in resistance between copper wire and oxygen free copper wire is too small to be significant for speaker wiring. It can be considered to be ordinary copper wire as far as the recommended lengths of copper wire in the table. Oxygen free copper wire can be more expensive than ordinary copper wire.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I too am a Bluejeans fan. I had been using their analog video cables for years and eventually switched to their audio cables as well (including the few optical I had left), also including XLR. Great stuff at great prices, great service and I've never had an issue with anything I've bought from them.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
I too am a Bluejeans fan. I had been using their analog video cables for years and eventually switched to their audio cables as well (including the few optical I had left), also including XLR. Great stuff at great prices, great service and I've never had an issue with anything I've bought from them.
Thanks Garcia, At every Junction i'm being pointed, mostly, towards "BJC", must be fate! :)

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
One more question. The "MonoPrice" interconnect i'm looking at has a capacitance of 22pF/ft, Whereas the "BJC" interconnect has a capacitance of 12.2 pF/ft. Gene & Hugo said in one of their videos that capacitance is an important measure. Is this difference important in such a short run? (connecting my separates)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2681&seq=1&format=2

The Cable: Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 Low Capacitance Audio Cable
The most important attributes of a line-level unbalanced audio cable are (1) shielding, and (2) capacitance. Heavy shielding protects audio signals from interference from outside sources. LC-1 Audio Cable uses a heavy double-braid shield, with one bare copper braid laid directly over another for extreme high coverage and high conductivity to ground; this is the identical shield configuration to Canare LV-77S, which tested best in our review of audio cable hum rejection characteristics (LC-1 hadn't been designed yet so wasn't tested at that time). By shrinking the center conductor to 25 AWG and foaming the polyethylene dielectric, we were able to get capacitance down to an extremely low 12.2 pF/ft, much better than LV-77S at 21 pF/ft. Capacitance can be important, particularly in long cable runs, because it contributes to rolloff of higher frequencies. The softer dielectric material and smaller center conductor, meanwhile, make the cable highly flexible and easy to route. LC-1 is built exclusively for Blue Jeans Cable by Belden, the leader in American communications cable, and is rated CM for in-wall installation in residential and commercial environments. For more information and specs on LC-1, read our "LC-1 Design Notes" article.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks Agar. In your opinion, will there be an audible difference between the "Monoprice Premium" & "BJC LC-1"? Because the "Monoprice" are a budget I like! But I don't want to do what would be considered "skimping" on the all-important interconnects...
Electricity (signal) doesn't care about brand :D. As long as quality threshold is met, anything above will not have an audible difference. Measurable, sure. Audible, no. (Sweeping generalization follows.) Think of it like amps. In real world listening, all else being equal, can one hear the difference between 0.001% THD and 0.0001% THD? No! Yet the latter will cost 10 or 100x more.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
...capacitance... Is this difference important in such a short run?
BLUE JEANS CABLE said:
Capacitance can be important, particularly in long cable runs, because it contributes to rolloff of higher frequencies.
Looks as though you answered your own question with the BJC quote...

It shouldn't make an audible difference unless the cable itself is damaged...

Full Disclosure: I'm not just the owner of 3 of the monoprice cables you linked to... I'm also the hairclub president...

Last edited:
lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic
Electricity (signal) doesn't care about brand :D. As long as quality threshold is met, anything above will not have an audible difference. Measurable, sure. Audible, no. (Sweeping generalization follows.) Think of it like amps. In real world listening, all else being equal, can one hear the difference between 0.001% THD and 0.0001% THD? No! Yet the latter will cost 10 or 100x more.
You guys are good! Thanks agar...

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic

Full Disclosure: I'm not just an owner of 3 of the of the monoprice cables you linked to... and I'm also the hairclub president...
Awesome Biz... Thanks.

lifestyle

lifestyle

Audioholic

Full Disclosure: I'm not just the owner of 3 of the monoprice cables you linked to... I'm also the hairclub president...
Yes, I had'nt noticed that. So when I choose my Sub, i'll be more particular about the capacitance issue...

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Yes, I had'nt noticed that. So when I choose my Sub, i'll be more particular about the capacitance issue...
Nah... I wouldn't worry about using the Monoprice cables for a Sub... because...
BLUE JEANS CABLE said:
Capacitance can be important, particularly in long cable runs, because it contributes to rolloff of higher frequencies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis