Karp

Karp

Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
I would like to make one correction - there are some very expensive speakers that also use paper cones. Note that the Triangle Celius speakers, which got a Class A rating from Stereophile, use paper for all the drivers except the tweeter. The designer said he'd love to use a plastic driver if he could find one that sounded as good, but he hasn't. Likewise, there are some expensive & well regarded drivers that use foam surrounds. I'm thinking the legendary Adire Shiva sub has a foam surround. Of course, just because B(l)ose and Triangle both use paper drivers doesn't mean they're equal quality.
Very true, except those speakers (and many others) use paper that is treated with various materials to enhance stiffness, remove resonances and prolong the life of the cone. Bose uses UNTREATED paper in their speakers.
I am not a fan of foam surrounds though, since they wear many many times faster than rubber surrounds.

Karp

Karp

Audioholic
Steve_Lazarus ....The only deviation I've made is with speaker selection said:
Actually, you have quite a few options. You could buy over the internet or through Crutchfield or another catalogue. Since you are in the Military, it does not cost you (or the vendor) any more to ship it to you than it does to ship it to New York or California. Uncle Sam picks up the tab from the FPO to you.

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
Speakers that are as small as bose, but kick their butt by like 10x = Def Tech ProCinema 60's, even better are the 80's.

60's=700.00
80's=650 (without sub), another 250-350 for the sub

Denon 2805 or 1905.

Decent DVD player, and you're set (aside from cabling)

This'll give you much better build quality, expanability, value for your money compared to bose.

Bose is the highest priced item for what you get in the store (save high end plasmas & LCDs) they also have a very big markup, ever since magnolia hi-fi came into best buy, I think we'll see Bose decreasing over time.

C

Cuteman

Audioholic Intern
BMXTRIX said:
Bose is a rip off. That's the point. Bose spends money to fly a rep to military bases and has a deal with the commisary to provide our troops with excellent service... What, do you think Bose does it to be nice? No, they are charging you far more than what their product should cost to give you that extra value feel.

I would think other manufacturers have looked at the military and realized that there simply isn't enough of a push for their product within it to be a strong selling market. Bose thinks they can just charge more and people will still buy.

Bose isn't stupid - they are just a rip off and your money can always be better spent elsewhere... at least in the US.
not to mention the fact that all these military personel have a lot of disposal income since mostly what they do is go out and drink or blow it anyway, when they make purchases they want it to be the "best."

Bose is hoping that those in the military, didnt happen to work at best buy or know any audio conessuiers before they went in, and can still milk the fact that the general public thinks bose has some divine position as the best audio manufacturer, when in reality they're just the best marketed.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Spoken like one who knows nothing about the subject.

Cuteman said:
not to mention the fact that all these military personel have a lot of disposal income since mostly what they do is go out and drink or blow it anyway, when they make purchases they want it to be the "best."
You obviously don't know anyone in the military. If you did you either would not have said that, or you would have had your butt kicked so many times it would be a dimple.

D

DSMCasey

Junior Audioholic
I have several friends in the militarty, as well as the fact that my mother and father were in the military. I find that statement pretty on par. Every single one of the people I know in the military has very little income, but it is all disposable. If I only made $800 a month but all of it was disposable (or at least most of it) then I would have a REALLY nice HT system in a year as well as have money left over. The only thing military people have to pay for is food, and a car payment (if they choose to have a car).

-Casey

P.S.- Not to mention a lot of the military is 20 somethings, and all 20 somethings do even if they are NOT in the military is drink!

Z

zyepod

Enthusiast
I had a satellite speaker system (Polk RM-3000) sounded pretty good… I thought… Then a friend came along with a similar system except with a powered subwoofer. His blew mine away. So I bought a powered sub and that greatly enhanced the sound of my system. Since then I’ve stepped up to some floor standing mains for basically the same price I paid for the Polk’s and they absolutely blow the Polk’s away. I liked the satellite speaker system because the speakers were not as visible. But they just cannot hold a candle to the larger speakers… I made the room… I’m still using the Polk’s for my 6th and 7th channel but I will be upgrading soon.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis