N

noah katz

Enthusiast
Not to single out Audioholics (OK, I am, but for the right reasons), but it's very curious that the entire last generation of HK receivers (x35) seems to have escaped the attention of professional reviewers.

I guess I need to modify that; some at the low end of the line might have been, but I'm interested in those with the room correction.

Does Audioholics have any plans to test the new HK 745? Lots of interesting features: Individual EQ for two subs, nearfield measurements for surround as well as front speakers (perhaps giving it the same soundfield cohesiveness of MultEQ), three memories for different EQ setups,and Faroudja video processing.

I'd be very interested to see how it fares in one of Audioholics' wonderfully comprehensive tests.

My readings indicate that the (presumably) HDMI 1.1 will handle transmission of all the audio formats after decoding to PCM in the HD-DVD player; not sure what all the outcry for 1.3 is about.

Thanks

HK has just finally gotten back in the game from what seemed like about a year sabbatical (I'm speaking of their receivers). And their flagship products are still about a year behind the times. Their PR rep also has difficulty in sending us gear - presumably because we utilize PriceGrabber. To be honest, they make doing reviews difficult and I'm not about to reward them for it with free publicity.

N

noah katz

Enthusiast
Fair enough.

I'm not quite sure what the Pricegrabber comment means. HK doesn't seem picky about sales channels; their stuff is available just about everywhere on the 'net.

Haha - that's the irony. They apparently hate unauthorized online sales but don't care to do anything about it (like pick up the phone).

Believe me when I say there is no logic involved here.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
My readings indicate that the (presumably) HDMI 1.1 will handle transmission of all the audio formats after decoding to PCM in the HD-DVD player; not sure what all the outcry for 1.3 is about.
HDMI Ver 1.3 is the only way you will be able to transmit the new high res formats in the digital domain and have you processor/receiver do all of the processing and bass management.

N

noah katz

Enthusiast
"HDMI Ver 1.3 is the only way you will be able to transmit the new high res formats in the digital domain and have you processor/receiver do all of the processing and bass management."

PCM is digital, and allows all the BM, surround processing, room correction, etc. to be done in the digital domain in the receiver.

Any licensed decoder will output the same bits in PCM; why does it matter where that decoder is?

Currently the PCM you are talking about is a downconversion from the high resolution audio. None of the new HD-DVD or BD products output the new lossless audio formats (DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD) via HDMI.

N

noah katz

Enthusiast
True, but it was a race to market for each format, so I wouldn't expect them to worry about the new formats at that point.

Don't you think future players will send out decoded DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD?

If they don't, it gives not-so-early-adopter receiver owners less reason to buy a player.

Even w/o a HD display, players that do decode them would be attractive to HDMI 1.1 owners just for the audio upgrade.

Thanks

Last edited:
WndrBr3d

WndrBr3d

Full Audioholic
Clint DeBoer said:
HK has just finally gotten back in the game from what seemed like about a year sabbatical (I'm speaking of their receivers). And their flagship products are still about a year behind the times.
No kidding man! When I saw the 745 (previously 740) revealed it was very anticlimactic. For the $3,000+ they're asking for, you could have a SLEW of more features from other brands such as Denon or Yamaha in that price range.

N

noah katz

Enthusiast
They're already online for <$2K, but I agree it's still kind of high.

B

biz97

Junior Audioholic
I used to love their gear but their name can only get them so far for so long ;) Seems like they have some QC issues to work through as well...

M

Martiad3

Audioholic
biz97 said:
I used to love their gear but their name can only get them so far for so long ;) Seems like they have some QC issues to work through as well...
I was wondering about their QC, is it really that bad?

It's the only question keeping me from definitely going for the HK-435 instead of the Denon 2106.

D

df4801

Banned
If they would start paying for advertising, I'd bet that then the reviews would start coming.

That would certainly be great, but no, we've repeatedly asked for products and they still don't show up. I've answered this issue before, though I understand that controversy and insinuation is far more entertaining than the boring truth.

Biscokid

Biscokid

Audioholic
To be honest, they make doing reviews difficult and I'm not about to reward them for it with free publicity.
Hmmmmmmmmmm???

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis