Why No Big Warehouse-Type AV Stores?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
And the dumb thing- it's legal to install a whip with a power outlet behind the TV and a power inlet below, then connect the inlet to the power strip with a short extension cord because it's not always connected to the rest of the power wiring and if a problem occurs, it's just a matter of pulling the cord from the inlet. The NEC sees it as 'repair' work. Don't even need to be licensed to do it and that saves a lot of time- nobody needs to wait for sparky to show up and a return trip isn't needed.
I did that in my last theater. Basically two outlets connected by romex, but not into any other outlets unless a power cord is plugged into the first outlet. Worked very well.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I did that in my last theater. Basically two outlets connected by romex, but not into any other outlets unless a power cord is plugged into the first outlet. Worked very well.
Midlite, Vanco, Panamax and others sell a kit to do this- usually, it's around $50 for the parts, plus Romex (more for the Panamax because it handles surges). I buy the power inlet by itself and the rest are off the shelf parts.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Back in the mid 80's I walked into a B&M store in Lafayette, LA. Looking to demo a
HK receiver, well I was standing in front of several units found the one I was interested in. Well the salesperson or owner don't know was talking with some other guy about 5 feet 6 feet behind me, I had turned it up some just to get the feel of the unit dude comes up and turns the unit really low didn't say excuse me or anything. So I waited they walked off so I turned it back up some demoing the unit. Dude comes back turns it back down gives me a pair of eyes like I was a second-class citizen. I than told this chump, dude you just lost a sale! I will tell everyone I know to stay away from this store. Needless to say that Audio store is out of business. It is for that reason most B&M stores suck, poor customer service Aholes,:D that look at a potential customer and judge him, her by the cover of looks.
Yup.

When I went into my local AV shop to demo my GE T2, I walk in the door and see the T2 set up across the room and say "I'm here to demo some speakers, starting with those right there". Guy behind the counter hands me the remote and says "knock yourself out"!

After about 1.5 hours, I told him that I owed it to myself to go audition a couple of brands that they don't carry. He said, "no problem, but hey, we have those in stock and ready to go out the door today".

Obviously, I returned within a couple of hours and made my purchase.

I think that is another key point that is often over-looked--Having those in stock, ready to go TODAY gave them a market advantage to actually make the sell TODAY.

On the other hand, when I spoke to Vandersteen himself at RMAF, he seemed to be judging me like I could not possibly afford his speakers. In that case....I'll pass....lost a potential customer for life.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Yup.

When I went into my local AV shop to demo my GE T2, I walk in the door and see the T2 set up across the room and say "I'm here to demo some speakers, starting with those right there". Guy behind the counter hands me the remote and says "knock yourself out"!

After about 1.5 hours, I told him that I owed it to myself to go audition a couple of brands that they don't carry. He said, "no problem, but hey, we have those in stock and ready to go out the door today".

Obviously, I returned within a couple of hours and made my purchase.

I think that is another key point that is often over-looked--Having those in stock, ready to go TODAY gave them a market advantage to actually make the sell TODAY.

On the other hand, when I spoke to Vandersteen himself at RMAF, he seemed to be judging me like I could not possibly afford his speakers. In that case....I'll pass....lost a potential customer for life.
Your spot on about the B&M store's having in stock and ready to go. If it's a pair of speaker's, AVR or what ever I don't mind paying the 'shop' price so to speak if I want it now kind of thing. The deal breaker for me is some ahole, don't care if it's the owner or who ever comes at me like that, lose a customer for life and all my friends and family I can tell.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Your spot on about the B&M store's having in stock and ready to go. If it's a pair of speaker's, AVR or what ever I don't mind paying the 'shop' price so to speak if I want it now kind of thing. The deal breaker for me is some ahole, don't care if it's the owner or who ever comes at me like that, lose a customer for life and all my friends and family I can tell.
You know, same thing with my local bike shop that I was talking about earlier.

When I did purchase a bike from these guys, on my first visit, I went in fairly early on a Saturday and happened to interrupt the guy about to enjoy his coffee. We discussed bikes for a while, this and that, gave me a quote on a couple bikes, etc. After about 45 minutes of his time, I told him "I like the vibe here, let's get this bike on order". Talking to him a bit more, that's when I discovered that he was the owner of the shop.

Never tried to speed me up, let his other guys handle other customers, made the sell by being passionate about his work.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
You know, same thing with my local bike shop that I was talking about earlier.

When I did purchase a bike from these guys, on my first visit, I went in fairly early on a Saturday and happened to interrupt the guy about to enjoy his coffee. We discussed bikes for a while, this and that, gave me a quote on a couple bikes, etc. After about 45 minutes of his time, I told him "I like the vibe here, let's get this bike on order". Talking to him a bit more, that's when I discovered that he was the owner of the shop.

Never tried to speed me up, let his other guys handle other customers, made the sell by being passionate about his work.
Slipperybidness, Top of the afternoon to you Sir! I went into a local tire shop to buy four tires, the dude had tighten my lugs so tight I had to use a 4 way with a 3ft, breaker bar to loosen the lugs. Went back told the manager about it, he goes we use torque sticks on all lugs. Well I give his shop a 2 star review on Google. Few days later one of the shop tech at a gas station pulls up yelling out his window of his vehicle if I didn't take down that review they was going to get me..lol. Now fast forward went at Wal-Mart purchased 4 tires with them. Got outstanding service from the shop tech and when I went in to pay the shop manager waited on me made sure I was satisfied with my purchase and service.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Slipperybidness, Top of the afternoon to you Sir! I went into a local tire shop to buy four tires, the dude had tighten my lugs so tight I had to use a 4 way with a 3ft, breaker bar to loosen the lugs. Went back told the manager about it, he goes we use torque sticks on all lugs. Well I give his shop a 2 star review on Google. Few days later one of the shop tech at a gas station pulls up yelling out his window of his vehicle if I didn't take down that review they was going to get me..lol. Now fast forward went at Wal-Mart purchased 4 tires with them. Got outstanding service from the shop tech and when I went in to pay the shop manager waited on me made sure I was satisfied with my purchase and service.
Last time I went to Discount Tire, the tech says "we crossthreaded the lug, we need to send you over to our service partner to get the lug replaced".

But, when I see the lug, it had been twisted off completely! Clearly by "crossthreaded", he meant "somebody was a dumba$$ and used an impact wrench on it".

Bunch of Bozos

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The last time my wife went in for an oil change, they told her, “we stripped the head of your oil plug”, “it’s normal wear and tear”, and charged her 15 bucks. I called and said uummm NO. They’re the only ones that change her oil, and they screwed it up and then charged the customer. My a$$...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Last time I went to Discount Tire, the tech says "we crossthreaded the lug, we need to send you over to our service partner to get the lug replaced".

But, when I see the lug, it had been twisted off completely! Clearly by "crossthreaded", he meant "somebody was a dumba$$ and used an impact wrench on it".

Bunch of Bozos
I will say that discount has fantastic customer service. I went to get a flat fixed (didn't know they were free) and they wouldn't let me put my spare back under my truck after they were done. They insisted because "they were already working on it". Didn't pay them a dime and they didn't have to do that. I always give them my business.

Sam's club did something similar. I had purchased lightly used tires from a friend and needed to swap out what was currently on my truck. They did it for free and I wasn't even a member. Balancing and everything. Maybe they were board or something?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I will say that discount has fantastic customer service. I went to get a flat fixed (didn't know they were free) and they wouldn't let me put my spare back under my truck after they were done. They insisted because "they were already working on it". Didn't pay them a dime and they didn't have to do that. I always give them my business.

Sam's club did something similar. I had purchased lightly used tires from a friend and needed to swap out what was currently on my truck. They did it for free and I wasn't even a member. Balancing and everything. Maybe they were board or something?
Yeah, I've been a customer of DT for the last 15+ years. I've historically been very happy with them, the last couple of times, not so much.

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Yeah, I've been a customer of DT for the last 15+ years. I've historically been very happy with them, the last couple of times, not so much.
Yeah, in my experience Discount has gone downhill too, however everybody's experiences may vary due to different store and regional management. Same probably goes for most chain stores, though.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Interesting that this thread brought out some of the old industry professionals. Brings back memories.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis