Why No Big Warehouse-Type AV Stores?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I was just thinking how nice it would be if I could visit a huge store like Fry's or Best Buy which sold ONLY AV gear, every conceivable brand now available from separate sources! One could listen to Salk speakers hooked to a Anthem receiver, etc. Of course the logistics of switching all those devices would be a nightmare!

Maybe the current 30 to 60 day home trial with re-stocking fee is best way?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Never mind big box, even specialty retail stores are scarce, and they rely on instalation to maintain profit margins. Companies like Salk are not setup for that model, as well as most ID speaker companies. Imagine what a $2000 Salk Song would cost if it were sold outside manufacturer Direct?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The AV and audio market is small and getting smaller. We will be lucky if there is a mass market receiver made in a few years. The bulk of the electronics expenditure is now on mobile and that trend will continue.

I think we are headed to exotic high priced boutique gear with a tiny market and DIY.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
If you can't carry it in your pocket and stream it, not many are interested in it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mr Magoo if you think its a good business plan....open one up! I think it'd be like the running joke in the bicycle retail business....How do you get a million dollars? Start with two million....

highfigh

highfigh

One reason- whatever you stock, people will want something else. Also, manufacturers often require large commitments from dealers for annual orders, which means they need to buy hundreds of thousands of dollars worth from each- if a manufacturer has a run of products with a large number of failures, the retailer is going to be stuck with boxes they can't move and that's a good way to lose money. Even if they sell these at cost, they have lost money. Then, there's staffing the sales department with knowledgeable people, building effective displays and repairs- some of the independent dealers still have a service department, but the people working there are aging out of the business with nobody to replace them.

Think about the number of brands that are available, then multiply this by $100k, just as a starting point for inventory. A store of that size can't buy from distributors because the direct price is much better.

I looked into buying a stereo shop a few years ago, keeping the extremely small staff, the same building at the same rent, phones/internet/insurance and other monthly expenses at the same cost- the fixed costs would have been almost $150K/year without paying myself and without adding a single piece of equipment to the inventory that would have come with the business. If I could have taken in a million dollars per year, that's still a big nut for new ownership and if I paid myself $50K, which isn't enough for the amount of time, effort, stress and uncertainty, it ends up being almost $220K just to keep the lights on and that amount comes off the top. Then, try to compete with online prices.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Mr Magoo if you think its a good business plan....open one up! I think it'd be like the running joke in the bicycle retail business....How do you get a million dollars? Start with two million....
Ok. I gotcha.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I consider myself to be extremely blessed to have exactly that kind of store about 50 miles from me, and it's located right in front of/next to a Best Buy with Magnolia room. The place is Audio Video Therapy in Nashua NH, and it's nirvana. Staffed by nice people, all of whom are knowledgeable about different areas of hi-fi, home theater, headphones, amps or all of it. Never pushing a high-margin item over a slow-moving one, and always asking the right questions. They continually evaluate what the have, bring in new lines and rarely drop one.

They do, oddly enough, seem to be healthy, thriving, and growing. Go figure.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I remember one warehouse style AV store back in the 70s and it was like a trip to a really sleazy car dealer. Their stores were about double to triple the size of a big Best Buy with lots of gear to look at and lots of speakers to listen to but had rude know-nothing commission driven staff and lousy customer service. Small high-end shops had poor selections but great very knowledgeable staff and great customer service, while mid-sized chains offered good selection, great customer service, and fairly knowledgeable enthusiasts for staff. These days you are kind of on your own to do your own research before pulling the trigger.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I remember one warehouse style AV store back in the 70s and it was like a trip to a really sleazy car dealer. Their stores were about double to triple the size of a big Best Buy with lots of gear to look at and lots of speakers to listen to but had rude know-nothing commission driven staff and lousy customer service.
Wow, I didn't know Fry's had been around that long...

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, I didn't know Fry's had been around that long...
Lol, while their stores weren't as big as a Frys in the 1970s The Federated Group had the largest store I'm aware of in southern California and were more focused on audio gear and some TVs. I guess they branched out their product line before they seemed die off but I despised them too much to ever go back. Frankly I'd forgotten about Frys, mostly because the nearest is an hour and a half away and even when I lived 15 minutes away I hated shopping there. My favorite from the 70s and 80s was the old Pacific Stereo. I have no idea if they are related to a company using the same name but the original reportedly went under. They carried all of the popular consumer brands of speakers and receivers but the shopping experience was so laid back, knowledgeable, and helpful that in my experience it was a lot like shopping at a high-end shop.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Lol, while their stores weren't as big as a Frys in the 1970s The Federated Group had the largest store I'm aware of in southern California and were more focused on audio gear and some TVs. I guess they branched out their product line before they seemed die off but I despised them too much to ever go back. Frankly I'd forgotten about Frys, mostly because the nearest is an hour and a half away and even when I lived 15 minutes away I hated shopping there. My favorite from the 70s and 80s was the old Pacific Stereo. I have no idea if they are related to a company using the same name but the original reportedly went under. They carried all of the popular consumer brands of speakers and receivers but the shopping experience was so laid back, knowledgeable, and helpful that in my experience it was a lot like shopping at a high-end shop.

I used to live close to a fry's but I almost refused to go there unless I knew they had something I needed. Some of their people were pretty good, but for the most part didn't even know where things were. No logical organization. BB isn't near as bad. Plus, those poor guys are straight commission in the AV dept.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I'm lucky to have Overture Audio in Wilmington, De just 35 minutes away. One of the best Salons in the country and tax free shopping to boot !

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The bulk of the electronics expenditure is now on mobile and that trend will continue.
If you can't carry it in your pocket and stream it, not many are interested in it.
What was that?

Oh sorry. I can't hear you over my awesome new Google Assistant optimized earbuds which help me isolate myself from annoying human interactions and all that socialization crap.

This way I can realize my full potential unchecked by reality and they only cost $100! What a deal!:rolleyes:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I used to live close to a fry's but I almost refused to go there unless I knew they had something I needed. Some of their people were pretty good, but for the most part didn't even know where things were. No logical organization. BB isn't near as bad. Plus, those poor guys are straight commission in the AV dept.
There is a Fry's in North Austin, probably 50 miles from you.

I personally love Fry's! It's like old school Radio Shack and Best Buy had an offspring. And, they do tend to have great sale items every week.

For an electronics hobbyist, Fry's is just about the only chance you have to get a part locally, today, without having to order online.

By the way....that Fry's up in North Austin has (or at least had, I haven't been up there in a few years) an actual theater demo room tucked away in the back of one of the AV rooms. It is quite discreet and you have to ask to get in there to demo, it had a few rows of seating.

highfigh

highfigh

Pacific Stereo was owned by CBS.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
There is a Fry's in North Austin, probably 50 miles from you.

I personally love Fry's! It's like old school Radio Shack and Best Buy had an offspring. And, they do tend to have great sale items every week.

For an electronics hobbyist, Fry's is just about the only chance you have to get a part locally, today, without having to order online.

By the way....that Fry's up in North Austin has (or at least had, I haven't been up there in a few years) an actual theater demo room tucked away in the back of one of the AV rooms. It is quite discreet and you have to ask to get in there to demo, it had a few rows of seating.
That's how the one in Plano was. I'll admit, the store itself is cool and they do have a great selection, but their staff is what annoyed me. That and the difficulty of finding certain things. I've had to do it myself on more than one occasion because their staff had no clue.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That's how the one in Plano was. I'll admit, the store itself is cool and they do have a great selection, but their staff is what annoyed me. That and the difficulty of finding certain things. I've had to do it myself on more than one occasion because their staff had no clue.
Yeah, but to be fair, the staff is lacking at pretty much any big box store.

I will say that I have had some good experiences with the local BB in regards to staff (in the Magnolia center), but I suspect it was the individual that I happened to luck into, not the general culture of the BB.

Could you imagine going into a bike shop and finding such a lack of knowledge on the products? How about a gun/ammo store?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, but to be fair, the staff is lacking at pretty much any big box store.

I will say that I have had some good experiences with the local BB in regards to staff (in the Magnolia center), but I suspect it was the individual that I happened to luck into, not the general culture of the BB.

Could you imagine going into a bike shop and finding such a lack of knowledge on the products? How about a gun/ammo store?
Agreed. My local BB is actually pretty great too. That was a surprise.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis