Why Don't Audiophiles Add a TV to their HiFi System?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
and that's why many if not most of us that that have large collections Lp's / CD's have a dedicated two channel set up.
My AV setup (fully capable of playing CD/SACD) is in a completely different room.

regardless, I get the fact that the times they are a changing.......
I don't think it's about the changing times.

I think it's purely a question of personal preference - whether to add a TV to a "2CH system" or not to add.

A TV or Projector doesn't have to add anything to or subtract anything from the Sound System.

A TV doesn't even have to be PLUGGED into the sound system.

Also, many audiophiles believe that a great-sounding MCH Atmos system (in 2CH Mode) will sound every bit as great as a great dedicated 2CH system.

Why do some people only want an Analog Integrated Amp or Analog Preamp + Analog Amp, instead of a Receiver or some DIGITAL preamps and AVR/AVP for their 2CH system?

Because it MAKES THEM HAPPY. :D

I also have 2 separate systems - one for Dolby Atmos and one for 2Ch Pure Direct stereo. Why? Simply because I don't DESIRE a bunch of speakers in my living room! :D

Last edited:
SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Some do, but would you add a dram of Scotch to a glass of Coke?
:p
That Coke into Scotch comment kills me. People in upscale NYC bars order that at $18 a pop. Damn, if you want your liquor served cold, just chill the bottle. Used a work as a bartender in the 80s and one of it's mottos was " Don't dilute, it pollutes ". It sounds funnier when you had a few.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That Coke into Scotch comment kills me. People in upscale NYC bars order that at $18 a pop. Damn, if you want your liquor served cold, just chill the bottle. Used a work as a bartender in the 80s and one of it's mottos was " Don't dilute, it pollutes ". It sounds funnier when you had a few.
There are certain flavors that just don't go together.
Scotch and Soda is one thing. Scotch and Coke on the other hand...
1650987720083.png

As they say, there is no accounting for taste.

The Bar I worked at had more than a few questionable requests and we were encouraged to politely discourage those. ;) Of course it helped that the owner , myself, and a few others there were all experienced Fine-Dining heads with starts in our backgrounds :D.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I drive my audio system with a Kindle Fire HD tablet. I don't want a large display. I did that with a 48" LCD for a while and just like the convenience of a device with touch inputs.
I drive my whole system from a mac mini. I can either use my iPad as the control or use the keyboard/mouse as the control. The mac mini will run headless (no display) so the TV is merely a convenience item and a glorified screensaver most of the time. But I too love the control of the iPad and disdain the keyboard/mouse option. Either way it is flexible and I enjoy it. That's the beauty of much of our hobby. There's a lot of ways to make the music play. I enjoy a lot of them

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I knew you were going to say that. :D

I think (instead of asking "why don't SOME audiophiles add a TV?"), the bigger question is why don't MOST people own a Projector, instead of a TV? :D
Because of obvious real estate issues. Anyway, I think the front projector system is on its way out.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
Audiophiles love music, not movies, that's why they're AUDIO-philes.
A more literal translation might be audiophiles love good audio. Movies have audio tracks. Why would anyone that loves audio ever listen to a TV speaker?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Because of obvious real estate issues. Anyway, I think the front projector system is on its way out.
Sure, room size plays a role. But I think it's less about room size and more about the FEAR of CHANGE.

Most people have been using TVs ALL THEIR LIVES since they were kids.

Big change is difficult. And then the HDMI-handshake crap makes the change even more painful.

What Front Projection System is on it's way out?

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Sure, room size plays a role. But I think it's less about room size and more about the FEAR of CHANGE.

Big change is difficult. And then the HDMI-handshake crap makes the change even more painful.

one of the issues I see often is a lot of HT setups are not at all optimized to 2 channel audio listening. Poor room layout / interaction with furnishings, placements, etc. Granted many have little options but regardless I rarely see (hear) a HT set up that will best a well thought out two channel rig

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
one of the issues I see often is a lot of HT setups are not at all optimized to 2 channel audio listening. Poor room layout / interaction with furnishings, placements, etc. Granted many have little options but regardless I rarely see (hear) a HT set up that will best a well thought out two channel rig
Sure, but that could be said about ANY system, not just HT systems.

I've seen "2CH" systems that are set up worse (physical room, placements, etc.) than MCH Dolby Atmos systems.

If we're talking about 2CH vs MCH rooms that are all set up very well, there is absolutely no reason why a MCH system cannot sound as good as a 2Ch system for 2CH music.

Given the same room, there is absolutely no reason why an Integrated Amp or Analog Preamp should sound better than a high quality Pre-pro/AVP, especially if the Pre-pro measures A LOT better than the Integrated Amp or Preamp. :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Sure, but that could be said about ANY system, not just HT systems.

I've seen "2CH" systems that are set up worse (physical room, placements, etc.) than MCH Dolby Atmos systems.

If we're talking about 2CH vs MCH rooms that are all set up very well, there is absolutely no reason why a MCH system cannot sound as good as a 2Ch system for 2CH music.

Given the same room, there is absolutely no reason why an Integrated Amp or Analog Preamp should sound better than a high quality Pre-pro/AVP, especially if the Pre-pro measures A LOT better than the Integrated Amp or Preamp. :D
agreed, yes it 'could' but I have observed and heard many that didn't ! we could go back and forth on this forever, who cares........ :p I won't be giving up my 2 channel rig anytime soon !!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
BITMAIN, GOLDSHELL, INNOSILICON MINERS 2022 IN STOCK

All equipment will be shipped from our warehouses in Shenzhen China. Additional shipping charges apply to orders shipping to international destinations.

GOLDSHELL KD2 MINER PROFIT 27$ DAY

WORLD DELIVERY 3-7 DAYS
Maximum hashrate, you say?
1651002335910.png

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I won't be giving up my 2 channel rig anytime soon !!
Of course you shouldn't give up your 2Ch system. Why in the world should you give up your 2CH system if it makes you 100% Happy and Proud?

At the end of the day, it's not about trying to justify what we own to people on the forums. It's about being TRULY 100% happy and proud of our systems.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Audiophiles love music, not movies, that's why they're AUDIO-philes.
Audiophiles love the gear particularly, what form of audio, music or movies, doesn't really matter, it's about reproducing it as accurately as possible. Being a musicphile (musicophile?) would be something else...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
and that's why many if not most of us that that have large collections Lp's / CD's have a dedicated two channel set up.
My AV setup (fully capable of playing CD/SACD) is in a completely different room.

regardless, I get the fact that the times they are a changing.......
I have quite a large collection, but see no reason to give a whole room to mere 2ch gear....altho I do have my only 2ch setup in a spare room, don't go in there much. My multich systems are quite capable of 2ch playback....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OTOH I constantly see pics of high end 2ch systems in very bad rooms, too.....rooms in homes have generally more duties than listening to only 2 speakers at a time....

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General

I'm not saying front projection is on the out any time soon, but its end is coming, first to the commercial cinema, being replaced with LED or Micro-LED based movie screens. Also, flat-screen TVs, OLED, QD-OLED, Mini-LED, Micro-LED, etc are getting larger and larger, which means there will be no need for a front projection system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not saying front projection is on the out any time soon, but its end is coming, first to the commercial cinema, being replaced with LED or Micro-LED based movie screens. Also, flat-screen TVs, OLED, QD-OLED, Mini-LED, Micro-LED, etc are getting larger and larger, which means there will be no need for a front projection system.
R——————-I——————G———————-H———————-T.

150" - 200” OLED TVs will become affordable to consumers and be installed in everyone’s living room when DONKEYS FLY.

First, Dolby Atmos will die or be replaced by the dead Auro3D. Then Everyone will be able to afford a 150" - 200” OLED TV.

Not sure if you're joking or serious.

Last edited:
J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
Gene, in 1983, I added an audio out from the incredibly crappy black & white TV I owned by adding a feed from the speaker to my stereo. While it didn't sound great, it sounded way better than the TV speaker. My Marantz pre had a knob for stereo/reverse stereo/mono/left/right so switching to mono was a breeze for TV audio.

I now have 3 audio systems in my house: a Polk Magnify Mini hooked for TV and wireless audio in the kitchen (love watching crappy Netflix content while I cook), KEF LSX's and cheap subs in my bedroom for TV and audio (great for listening to music while I shower or lift weights in my upstairs home gym) and a home theater in the basement.

Around 6 months ago or so, I posted a response to an article at a site much like yours (or maybe it was yours) and I mentioned something about the questionable audio quality of some streaming sources in my home theater. In reply, the journalist made a crack about the quality of my XMC-1 pre/pro and pre/pro's in general.

In response, I reminded him that, a few years earlier, his web site tested the Emotiva box, gave it a great review and named it one of their products of the year.

He did not reply to my post. He played himself.

So, given my experience, I can't offer you any reason other than blatant stupidity and ignorance. If a pre/pro has vanishingly low levels of distortion & noise, how does it sound worse than a stereo component? Also, unless you're an analog luddite, most modern stereo pre/amps and integrateds offer digital inputs.

Hey, we could also get into why people like noisy, distorted vinyl records and tube amps, but there is no accounting for people being imbecilic.

Let them soak in their own morass. That doesn't effect me at all.

All of my systems are very good for what they are. If other people have strange predilections, that's their bag. I wouldn't sweat it if I were you.
LS50-subs.jpg

LS50-subs.jpg

K

kahahai549

Audiophyte
I am currently building there is a TV for navigating the GUI built into the DAC and accessing HD audio files via a nice interface. Only psychos watch movies in two channel. :cool:
mobdro apk

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis