Why Don't Audiophiles Add a TV to their HiFi System?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
In this editorial, Jerry Del Coliano ponders the question about audiophiles embracing a TV in their system.

It's time for the audiophile industry to start thinking about the future of the hobby, a hobby that has some pretty silly rules and tendencies. Why are dedicated 2 channel fans so hesitant to embrace adding a display when television content is better than the movies and creatively more important than today’s popular music?

VAC-VS.jpg

Read: Why Don't Audiophiles Add a TV to their HiFi Systems?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for posting this Gene. @gene, I enjoyed reading it! You know Gene, back in the mid 80's I had a two channel setup, Realistic Optimus two channel stereo receiver, with TT, CD player, VCR stereo unit. 25" Magnavox color console TV, cassette tape decks, 10 band EQ. Of course I had 4 speakers using the A/B switch, plus two smaller speakers at ear height facing each side of the sofa. That was my umm surround, didn't realize at that time what surround was, cause there wasn't any such thing. Point of my post is that I knew decades ago just how important to have a TV integrated into your setup. Sure I had a very nice tube amp just for music use. Fast forward to present day, I absolutely could not think not having a nice size 4K tv integrated into my setup cuz if I didn't I'd lose my mind.

Last edited:
mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Full Audioholic
Actually your question also works in reverse "Why don't Home Theatre fans", also run a two channel stereo system in there home theatre room. Really it's horses for courses. I run a couple of two channel systems, But would never think of adding a screen in the same room. I do have a small Theatre room in another part of the house. I also don't own an AVR [receiver} Everything runs via Pre-amps and power amps Really for me combining the two systems would be like mixing oil with water.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The screen would be bad for acoustics and it's distracting unless the listener closes their eyes.

WRT "....creatively more important than today’s popular music?", the easy answer is "don't listen to today's popular music". Life is too short to listen to bad music when we have 100 years of recordings with some of the old ones having been remastered/cleaned up & re-pressed.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
I’m someone who 6 or so years ago got into audio because of home cinema and learned about two channel afterwards. I’ve had a number of designated two channel setups in different rooms than my multi channel setup only because of room layouts and that it was more common to put on some music while entertaining than to hang out in a room dominated by giant subs and towers. That being said I’ve also had room constraints, like my setup now, where I first get my two channel sound right and than move onto the other channels making it a multipurpose setup. I have found it odd visiting other homes with Wilson Audio, McIntosh, etc high end two channel setups and beautiful monoblocks that they’re not utilizing it in conjunction with a display but to each his own. I can understand the dedicated two channel music room and as mentioned when I’ve had the space I’ve done it myself a few times.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
In the system I am currently building there is a TV for navigating the GUI built into the DAC and accessing HD audio files via a nice interface. Only psychos watch movies in two channel. :cool:

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
In the system I am currently building there is a TV for navigating the GUI built into the DAC and accessing HD audio files via a nice interface. Only psychos watch movies in two channel. :cool:
It's 'Sycho'. Don't ever call me 'psycho'! o_O

BTW- some rooms aren't suitable for a surround system.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Guess there's no hope for sound bar users to huh.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree. I largely built my system for multichannel music, but at the point you do that, it’s just a Tv away from being able to operate as an HT. Plus, the TV is necessary to set so much of the equipment up.

Follow common best practices for minimizing the feared diffraction concerns, and voila, you still have great SQ!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I did :) My 2ch rig always had a TV, even if I didn't use it all the time.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Part of the issue is the longevity of video equipment. A 2-channel audio system can last for decades. Once you get into video, you are stuck in the cycle having to keep up with the latest video standards. I would not forgo a TV screen though. My primary source for new music is video streaming, and with server software like Roon or Plex you can display artist info and lyrics as well, not to mention all of the concert discs that I have.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You only need to keep up with video standards as you use the tech. That's the kicker about the 2.1 situation right now; it's still really only on the Gamers... and even there its not really that big of a deal today.
*shrugs

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I guess I'm the odd man in the room. I run a 2.1 audio system and love it. its just the two front channels and a sub that's neatly hidden away. But, I do have a nice flat screen TV mounted over the turntable and electronics stack. I have it there because I love the album screensaver function when I'm playing long tracks. When those long musical numbers are up I love seeing my album covers go floating in and out. It reminds me of just how much good music I have. Its also handy for the occasional internet search for more music.

I have been here on the AH for a lot of years and have learned that "audiophile" simply means someone who cares about music and the hobby of listening to it. I qualify as an old school audiophile. But, evern 2 channel old school guys like some colorful effects on the wall every now and then

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I guess I'm the odd man in the room. I run a 2.1 audio system and love it. its just the two front channels and a sub that's neatly hidden away. But, I do have a nice flat screen TV mounted over the turntable and electronics stack. I have it there because I love the album screensaver function when I'm playing long tracks. When those long musical numbers are up I love seeing my album covers go floating in and out. It reminds me of just how much good music I have. Its also handy for the occasional internet search for more music.

I have been here on the AH for a lot of years and have learned that "audiophile" simply means someone who cares about music and the hobby of listening to it. I qualify as an old school audiophile. But, evern 2 channel old school guys like some colorful effects on the wall every now and then
Right? I think this audiophile vs audiophool distinction needs a reset. We can be Audiophiles without all the dogma and BS that comes with Audiophoolia. :D

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Right? I think this audiophile vs audiophool distinction needs a reset. We can be Audiophiles without all the dogma and BS that comes with Audiophoolia. :D
Dogma fouls up a lot of things. While guidelines and conforming ideas are helpful in creating a distinctive culture, when they get to be oppressive and limiting, they often strangle innovation and growth. I think our hobby is pretty self-limiting and strangled as it is.

One of my "aha moments" in starting back in to audio as a hobby was to see an "argument" occurring in a forum post somewhere. One fellow was actively dumping and criticizing the systems of others who had posted pictures of their equipment and viewing setups. He was getting personal and nasty. Then he was challenged to put up a photo of his viewing room and equipment. He did. His equipment was all big box stuff on a cheap set of shelves in a dump of a room.. I remember being shocked that someone with such "ordinary" equipment in a dump of a room would have the temerity to actively criticize and bag on other peoples choices.

I made it a point to never criticize or dump on the choices of others. I have no idea what kind of baggage they carry in their day to day lives. Who am I do dictate choices? Who am I to "know better" what to choose?
I'm just happy I can listen to my music as I wish with the help of my AH compatriots. I don't mind if they put TV's on the wall or can't stand the idea. Either way is good with me.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
In this editorial, Jerry Del Coliano ponders the question about audiophiles embracing a TV in their system.

It's time for the audiophile industry to start thinking about the future of the hobby, a hobby that has some pretty silly rules and tendencies. Why are dedicated 2 channel fans so hesitant to embrace adding a display when television content is better than the movies and creatively more important than today’s popular music?

View attachment 55640

Read: Why Don't Audiophiles Add a TV to their HiFi Systems?
Some do but would you add ice cubes to a dram of good Scotch whisky ?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Dogma fouls up a lot of things. While guidelines and conforming ideas are helpful in creating a distinctive culture, when they get to be oppressive and limiting, they often strangle innovation and growth. I think our hobby is pretty self-limiting and strangled as it is.

One of my "aha moments" in starting back in to audio as a hobby was to see an "argument" occurring in a forum post somewhere. One fellow was actively dumping and criticizing the systems of others who had posted pictures of their equipment and viewing setups. He was getting personal and nasty. Then he was challenged to put up a photo of his viewing room and equipment. He did. His equipment was all big box stuff on a cheap set of shelves in a dump of a room.. I remember being shocked that someone with such "ordinary" equipment in a dump of a room would have the temerity to actively criticize and bag on other peoples choices.

I made it a point to never criticize or dump on the choices of others. I have no idea what kind of baggage they carry in their day to day lives. Who am I do dictate choices? Who am I to "know better" what to choose?
I've felt the same way at times. One of the reasons I say " your system, your ducats." In the end, we can each give the most reasonable guidance, but forcing somebody to adhere to that is pointless. They may be making the decision that is right for them and is is not our job to criticize that.
:)
I concur fully:
I'm just happy I can listen to my music as I wish with the help of my AH compatriots. I don't mind if they put TV's on the wall or can't stand the idea. Either way is good with me.
This. Times, like, a thousand-million. Or something like that. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis