Why do the resistors of my 3 way crossovers get very hot on high volumes?

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
Why are the resistors on my 3 way crossovers getting very hot on high or very high volumes to the point I can actually smell the white plastic pieces(the resisitors) over heating? I read online that resisitors on a crossover may very slightly reduce tweeter sound and that they are not needed and can be removed. Can I remove the resistors and will my crossovers still work perfectly and what could be causing the resisitors to get so hot?
HERES A PHOTO of a white retangular plastic resistor, the same ones that I have although this crossover is not mine, its just an online picture-

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Resistors will get hot when you have current flowing through them, that's what they do.
This! ;)
Perhaps a different explanation may help?...

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
Resistors will get hot when you have current flowing through them, that's what they do.

Did you read the article you pulled that picture from? It will tell you what everything in a crossover does.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/the-loudspeaker-crossover#:~:text=In a crossover network, resistors,different drivers in a system.
Thanks I just did.
Based on the info (below) on that site about resistors, they can and do get hot due to consuming and controlling the power and levels. It does seem resisitors may slightly "flatten" the tweeter sound? I notice the photo below shows a resistor on a metal stand away from the crossover due to the heat that occurs. If my resistors get too hot to the point I can smell the plastic, would they smoke and damage my crossovers? Maby its better I remove them? Could it be maby one of my speakers are 4 ohm and the rest are 8 phms and that is why the resisitors are getting hot? Although from what I know all the individual speakers are 8 ohms.

INFO from site-
"The resistor does nothing other than to consume power. In a crossover network, resistors are usually used in combination with other components to control either impedance magnitudes or the relative levels between different drivers in a system. Resistors are most often used in "padding" a tweeter which is more efficient than the woofer, so the overall system frequency response will be flat.

Lets say we are driving the speaker system pretty hard, and we are heating the resistors so that they rise to be 200 degrees F, (a not uncommon operating temperature for a resistor in a crossover network). 200 degrees F is equal to 93.33 degrees Celsius. As the power dissipated in a resistor increases, so does its temperature.

That resistors get hot, and can burn out is a well known phenomena. What is not as well known is that running high power into resistors at or near their limits brings with it audible effects on your music."

HERES the picture of a resistor on a metal stand to keep it away from the crossover. Although I don't really have the skills to do that but can I remove them? By removing them will it affect the crossover in any way including will the other components/pieces on a crossover get hot if I removed the resisitors?

Attachments

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What is the application of the resistor in question? Is this a true DIY, a kit or a build from a reputable speaker company?

And no, you should not just remove it from the circuit: it is there by design. Doing so may significantly alter the performance of the driver associated with it. Using the example of padding the tweeter, a tweeter may be, in an extreme case, as much as 6dB hotter (more sensitive) than the other drivers; without that attenuating L-Pad in place, said speaker would be grossly unbalanced with a very loud high end.

If this is a DIY that you designed, you should recheck you work on the XO. If a DIY kit, you should confirm component values and proper XO assembly. If this is a OEM speaker, you should contact the company and discuss with them.
Perhaps it is a bad part. These things happen.

In the world of resistors, most common usage does not put spacers or heatsinks that I have seen. Yes they exist, but shopping Parts Express or Madisound will show that a vast majority are simply glued or strapped (or both) to either a PCB or Hardboard/Pegboard panel.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If the resistors are getting extremely hot, they probably have wrong values for that circuit. Or the circuit might have some other serious flaw.

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
Its stated on the resistors that they are 10W8.2(an upside down U type of symbol)J and 10W2.2(same symbol))J. I bought the crossovers from a reliable and professional seller that sold 100's or more and he informed me this is the first time this problem has occurred. And he has all excellent feedback from many buyers. He did inform me as long as the resistors don't burn it will be fine, and that I can remove them if I wanted to and by removing them will not cause an affect on the crossovers, and (as he also said exactly) "Sounds like they are trying to displace a large amount of heat. You can always remove the stand-offs if they worry you, that white plastic peace you talk about, the white stand-offs just allow the crossover to sit up a bit, other than that they have no function but help maintain a constant 8 ohms to your amplifier.. They will get warm since they are displacing power in the form of heat..

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Would still love to know the usage here: was this a kit, a mod... what is it? Photo of the XO... what are the speakers... ??? :)

The Greek letter for Omega ( Ω ) is the symbol used for Ohms. So that would be a 10 watt 8.2 Ohm resistor.
I do not know what the "J" is in your description.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here are two different Dayton Resistors I had close at hand:

Both are 3 ohm, 10watt resistors, the green one is 1% tolerance and the white is 2%.

Sent from a handheld device using a silly little app.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was the crossover specifically designed for your box/drivers? Or ? More details about the speakers would be nice....

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Its stated on the resistors that they are 10W8.2(an upside down U type of symbol)J and 10W2.2(same symbol))J. I bought the crossovers from a reliable and professional seller that sold 100's or more and he informed me this is the first time this problem has occurred. And he has all excellent feedback from many buyers. He did inform me as long as the resistors don't burn it will be fine, and that I can remove them if I wanted to and by removing them will not cause an affect on the crossovers, and (as he also said exactly) "Sounds like they are trying to displace a large amount of heat. You can always remove the stand-offs if they worry you, that white plastic peace you talk about, the white stand-offs just allow the crossover to sit up a bit, other than that they have no function but help maintain a constant 8 ohms to your amplifier.. They will get warm since they are displacing power in the form of heat..
Those white resistors, as in your first photo, are cast ceramic, not plastic. As others have said, normal use will make them get warm or even hot. But they shouldn't fail unless they are faulty, or if the crossover is not correctly designed.

Raising them above the crossover board allows them to cool faster.

If you remove them from your crossover board, you must replace them with something, even if its only wire, or you will have an open circuit – no current can flow. Are you certain that's what the crossover designer said, that you can remove them and not affect the function of the board? If so, why were they put there in the first place?

In resistors, the label 10W8.2RJ translates as 10 watts, 8.2 Ω, with ±5% tolerance. The wattage is the failure rating, and the letter J means the printed resistance can vary by ±5% from the label's 8.2 Ω value.

Is this crossover board new? Or have you had it for some time and that burning smell is a recent development? If they're new, that smell may wear off. But if you've had them for some time, it could be a sign that the resistor is going to fail.

If the 10 watt 8.2 Ω resistor or the 10 watt 2.2 Ω are the correct values, and they get hot enough to fail, replace them with 8.2 Ω resistors that are rated at 20 or 25 watts. Or, you can use two 16.4 Ω 10 watt resistors, wired in parallel to each other. That will give you 8.2 Ω resistance but with a 20 watt rating. For the 2.2 Ω 10 watt resistor, replace it with two 4.4 Ω 10 watt resistors wired in parallel and you'll get 2.2 Ω rated at 20 watts.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Your speakers seem to me to be totally shambolic. It seems you bought a generic crossover. These are useless. Every crossover has to be designed for the drivers selected. You absolutely can not buy a crossover and then connect random drivers. The resistors form an essential L-pad to balance the drivers, usually a tweeter.

So if you remove the resistors your tweeter will play louder, and adsorb the heat the resistors are in their voice coils and burn out. It also sounds to me that the crossover frequency is too low for the tweeters you are using, and or their is an impedance miss match.

We can not really be precise until we know what system you have cobbled together. It certainly sounds like a ghastly incompetent cobble to me from what you have written so far.

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
I've been using these 3 way crossovers the past 2 months and the very hot resistor problem just started to happen 2 days ago. The crossovers are generic and handles 1000 watts each at 8 ohms, im using 2- 15" bass woofers- 500 watts each, 8 ohmns, 2- 8" midrange 300 watts each, 2- 3.75" tweeters 300 watts each, and a 500 watt receiver. Don't know other specs.

If by removing the resistors, if the midrange and tweeter section will sound too loud, I can always adjust the EQ to lower the highs, at least that way there won't be very hot resistors on my 3 way crossovers that may smell at times.

Last edited:
Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I've been using these 3 way crossovers the past 4 months and the very hot resistor problem just started to happen 2 days ago. The crossovers are generic and handles 1000 watts each at 8 ohms, im using 2- 15" bass woofers- 500 watts each, 8 ohmns, 2- 8" midrange 300 watts each, 2- 3.75" tweeters 300 watts each, and a 500 watt receiver. Don't know other specs.

If by removing the resistors, if the midrange and tweeter section will sound too loud, I can always adjust the EQ to lower the highs, at least that way there won't be very hot resistors on my 3 way crossovers that may smell at times.
You shouldn't just remove the resistors. i think you'll be sorry.
Replace the resistors with a better quality resistor if it's bugging you that much. But DONT just remove the resistors.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There is still not enough information provided to allow us to help you, @nickless .
Please feel free to oblige us with our requests for more information. :)
Or not. ;)

Cheers.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I've been using these 3 way crossovers the past 4 months and the very hot resistor problem just started to happen 2 days ago. The crossovers are generic and handles 1000 watts each at 8 ohms, im using 2- 15" bass woofers- 500 watts each, 8 ohmns, 2- 8" midrange 300 watts each, 2- 3.75" tweeters 300 watts each, and a 500 watt receiver. Don't know other specs.
I'm afraid TLS Guy is right. You chose large and possibly expensive drivers, throwing them together with a generic crossover. You did not seem to choose crossover frequencies based on the unfiltered frequency responses of these drivers measured when they were mounted in their cabinet. Why did you choose those drivers? Did you measure woofer performance as you designed the cabinet? Or was that also thrown together? Throwing together parts is not a formula for success in designing DIY speakers.
I'd rather burn up some resistors instead of burning up the drivers or your money.

I do want to encourage you to learn more about DIY speaker design. Believe me, I get no fun by dumping on your project. But so far, I don't see any designing happening.

N

nickless

Audioholic Intern
If you remove them from your crossover board, you must replace them with something, even if its only wire, or you will have an open circuit – no current can flow. Are you certain that's what the crossover designer said, that you can remove them and not affect the function of the board? If so, why were they put there in the first place?
I asked the seller around 5 hours ago if I were to remove the resistors would I need to replace it with a wire running across if I don't replace with a better resistor and he didn't respond yet. I asked him yesterday would removing the resistors cause an affect or difference to the crossovers and he replied yesterday and said exactly this, "Nope, the white stand-offs just allow the crossover to sit up a bit, other than that no function." and then he also replied, "The resistors in the crossover help it maintain a constant 8 ohms to your amplifier".

SO is there still a chance if I were to remove the resistors and not solder a wire back, will the bass, mid and tweeter all work or will any of them not work until I solder a wire or other resistor back? I'm kind of an amateur and would rather not solder at all for fear I may damage the crossover, can I use a tool to remove the resistors or is melting the silver solder the only option?

FINAL question, if I decide to buy a new 3 way crossover now or in the furture, can I buy a 3 way crossover with NO resistors? Do they make 3 way crossovers with no resistors or do all of them have them?

Last edited:
W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
Nobody here wants to criticize your speaker design. You've been given honest and good advice. The odds against putting a bunch of random speaker drivers together in a box with a generic crossover and have it sound good is about the same as winning the lottery. You really need to learn more about speaker design. A two way speaker is hard enough to design much less a 3 way design. Designing a 3 way speaker and have it sound good is very involved which is why so many people copy other designs that are successful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis