Why do I Feel Nausea??

David Gaudreau

David Gaudreau

Full Audioholic
I too say motion sickness... but it could be something else. Is it possible for you to reduce the size of the picture? If so, try making the picture smaller and watch the same material that caused the nasuea before, and see if it happens again.
I'm going to give my brain a rest and reduce screen size and try again. My eyes or eye sockets still feel almost sore!

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Oops, sorry guys; that's what I get for not reading the entire thread first.:eek:
Reducing the screen sounds like a plan.

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
I personally own that projector you use in your theater... I know it has a very small amount of lag (gets me killed when playing Halo 3). Is it possible your audio and video are just every so slightly out of sync? I don't know if that would cause a problem with motion sensitivity or not.

Of course, low frequency bass can also be a problem. Perhaps you are sitting in a spot in the room where the bass below 20hz is stronger. I have actually made my daughter throw up by doing test tones when calibrating my sub while she was a small girl. Perhaps start watching one of those movies again in the same spot and turn the subs off. At least you could rule them out completely if you feel sick again, then you will know it's motion or size related.

Anyway, just thought I would throw in a couple suggestions.

Later...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Paging Dr. TLS Guy

Hey, TLS Guy is a Doc. Maybe he can give you a diagnosis.:D

Try sitting in the front row at the movie theater next time and see if it gives you the same nausea feeling. Some people (like my wife) gets nauseated and dizzy unless she sits on the very back row. As for me, I can sit on the front row without any trouble at all. So of course, I have to sit in the very back row with my wife.:D

If TLS Guy diagnoses you with motion sickness, perhaps he can prescribe a Scopolamine patch or Meclizine or something.:D

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I actually did almost throw up watching Jackass number 2. I was gagging and ran to the sink...

Although. I actually do think that was because of the movie.. :eek:

J

jamie2112

Banned
I actually did almost throw up watching Jackass number 2. I was gagging and ran to the sink...

Although. I actually do think that was because of the movie.. :eek:
Thats funny I did the same thing....Sick stuff those guys are idiots

I take dramamine when Tom and I play Gears of War, Army of Two, or any other 3rd Person of FPS game. My screen is simply too big for the distance. It's a quality problem...

I started taking it after I noticed myself getting motion sickness when playing video games. I never feel this way when watching movies, however.

majorloser

majorloser

I take dramamine when Tom and I play Gears of War, Army of Two, or any other 3rd Person of FPS game. My screen is simply too big for the distance. It's a quality problem...

I started taking it after I noticed myself getting motion sickness when playing video games. I never feel this way when watching movies, however.
Remind me to never invite you over for a night of Ace Combat 6. You'd be spewin' all over the place. :(

K

kpenney24

Audiophyte
Cure for motion sickness

I'm not sure if you fixed the problem with your setup. I to have a Panasonic projector and found I got motion sickness playing certain games. However if I turn the iris off the sickness goes away. Try turning of the Iris and let me know if that helps.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Oh man I went to see cloverfeild in the theater.......... Ugg after 20 min I had to run out!!!!!:eek:

I think you just answered your own question. There were people sensitive to that movie, but the vast majority were able to sit through it. I think you just get motion sickness. Have you tried sizing down the projected image yet?

Video games are certainly the hardest test, especially third person shooters where you can change the camera view a lot. Playing Metal Gear Solid can be difficult on my little TV, I don't know that I would be able to play it with a 32"+ periphrial viewing angle.

I've also heard the refresh rate can complicate things, as mentioned earlier in this thread. 100Hz or better is recommended for people who suffer from seizures now (I know that isn't your issue, but the trigger is probably related).

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Hmm...

I'd go to the eye doctor and see if you need glasses.
I have to use glasses from time to time when I'm on the computer. Switching from my CRT monitor to an LCD helped greatly on me (although this part isn't so much a solution).

Glasses may make quite a bit of difference.

Another thing:
There is a theater in Indianapolis called the Cinedome, and although the experience was great, somehow, it made everyone in my family somewhat uneasy.

I couldn't get a good picture, but this theatre shown is basically the same:

The seats are exactly laid out like that; and the screen is shaped spherically.
It's very enveloping, but somehow, sickening.

With that example, I'm suggesting that your seating/position/head angle is not comfortable enough. Try sitting somewhere else, elevate (or lower) your seating position and try to get your head looking up or down more, depending on how you view when you get sick.

The other things; try playing a movie without subwoofer(s) on, and make sure the room is vented for a week or so (carpet and seating and other chemicals).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm having the same isssue. Hoping it's just a matter of the screen being too big. I'm moving it halfway into the room and turning on some ambient light.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis