Why can't I stream atmos tracks from Tidal on Denon X8500H?

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
I can play the tracks listed as atmos on HEOS, but do not have the option of Atmos. They only come through as Dolby surround. I've tried using the app on phone,and iPad, but all fail. Have also just used the Tidal app on 202Samsung tv. How to fix this?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I can play the tracks listed as atmos on HEOS, but do not have the option of Atmos. They only come through as Dolby surround. I've tried using the app on phone,and iPad, but all fail. Have also just used the Tidal app on 202Samsung tv. How to fix this?
My receiver shows DD+/Dolby Surround for any tracks I have that aren't TrueHD Atmos. Pretty much every streaming service with an "Atmos" track has this issue. So, for me it's just the way my receiver shows Atmos when it DD+ Atmos vs TrueHD Atmos.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
When I stream some of the movies on Amazon, it does give me Atmos on the receiver. All of the other video streaming services give DD+.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
When I stream some of the movies on Amazon, it does give me Atmos on the receiver. All of the other video streaming services give DD+.
Interesting. I'll have to check Amazon again. Been a while since I've tried to use it.

I noticed that on my 4300x it used to say Atmos, but after a firmware update or two I noticed the difference. Maybe yours doesn't display things in the same way since it's newer?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
HEOS does not support atmos Tidal tracks. If atmos is present in a stream it should display as atmos/DD+ on any device other than the Apple TV 4K as it displays atmos/PCM. If it does not say atmos, it does not have metadata and is either a two channel or multi channel DD+ Signal. It’s still a mess out there and everything in the chain must support atmos including the app itself.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
HEOS does not support atmos Tidal tracks. If atmos is present in a stream it should display as atmos/DD+ on any device other than the Apple TV 4K as it displays atmos/PCM. If it does not say atmos, it does not have metadata and is either a two channel or multi channel DD+ Signal. It’s still a mess out there and everything in the chain must support atmos including the app itself.
Everything also includes the display for some of these too. Dumb...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yup, dumb and frustrating for anybody who did their homework and purchased atmos capable hardware only to have streaming services’ apps support atmos on some AVRs, devices and TVs while others are left out until app updates come later. No receiver at the moment can play atmos or MQA tracks from Tidal with their own app and a third party device is required.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
With respect to Amazon, Jack Ryan is one that does do Atmos.

E

EB1000

Audiophyte
You expect a high-end AVR to support Atmos via its music streaming service but so far, no AVR offer such support, not even NAD's T778, which have the excellent BluOS system (limited to two channel stereo only). I thing among all music services, HEOS is the worst ever! You cannot upload more than 300 songs to the playlist, Deezer HIFI is not supported. So far Yamaha's Musicast is the best solution. I heard that the upcoming RX-A8A and A6A will have Atmos support via Musicast as well, so good chance it will support Tidal's atmos.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've never even messed with any of the built-in media functionality of my AVRs. I'd expect them to be similar to what you get in a BD player. Not good. TVs are the same way and so are a lot of streaming boxes. The underpowered CPU just can't handle what is being asked of it. That and the fact that the media features get outdated and won't get updates after the AVR, TV, etc. get old enough.

AVRs should last quite a long time as far as the audio side of things go. Much longer than any typical streaming device would be expected to last. Same for TVs. My panasonic VT60 has Hulu and Netflix built in. Neither work. Haven't tried to use the TV for that purpose since I got it 8 years ago.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I've never even messed with any of the built-in media functionality of my AVRs. I'd expect them to be similar to what you get in a BD player. Not good. TVs are the same way and so are a lot of streaming boxes. The underpowered CPU just can't handle what is being asked of it. That and the fact that the media features get outdated and won't get updates after the AVR, TV, etc. get old enough.

AVRs should last quite a long time as far as the audio side of things go. Much longer than any typical streaming device would be expected to last. Same for TVs. My panasonic VT60 has Hulu and Netflix built in. Neither work. Haven't tried to use the TV for that purpose since I got it 8 years ago.
For years my streaming needs have been from using Chromecast and before that I did not stream to my living room. When I got my LG OLED I've started to use the built-in apps to take advantage of 4K and Dolby Vision in Netflix, Amazon Prime etc, and that actually works pretty very well for now except I only has DD+ via ARC. This way I can wait with updating my Chromecast to something that supports UHD and Dolby Vision.

E

EB1000

Audiophyte
Yup, dumb and frustrating for anybody who did their homework and purchased atmos capable hardware only to have streaming services’ apps support atmos on some AVRs, devices and TVs while others are left out until app updates come later. No receiver at the moment can play atmos or MQA tracks from Tidal with their own app and a third party device is required.
I think AVRs not supporting MQA is a good thing, as MQA is nothing but a scam that degrade audio quality and costs you more money:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Sure, but this thread is about atmos.;) I’m sure many feel the same way about lossy DD+/atmos streams. It’s just another format that costs more money. While MQA makes dubious claims about hi-res, it at least maintains the two channel format of the material. I’ve enjoyed some atmos music, but there is some real butchery going on out there with the conversion to atmos of some tracks.

Atmos compatibility with various services and devices is frustrating and still all over the place. As for Tidal, atmos capable hardware does not guarantee Tidal atmos playback if the device being used is not supported. A Tidal atmos track will be sent over as a two channel 16/44.1 track if atmos playback is not supported in the device. In some cases, it won’t play at all.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Configure your Denon's driver in your PC's sound control panel to Dolby ATMOS.

H

H Lee

Audiophyte
I have played with several configurations of trying to play Dolby Atmos tracks from Tidal via my Marantz SR7013 A/V. The Tidal tracks listed by Tidal as Dolby Atmos are label as not supported by the device and played as stereo PCM. This is the same result with Tidal playing via HEOS or the Tidal app on my connected Apple TV 4k. However, when playing Atmos tracks from Apple Music, via my iPhone or the Apple TV app, the track play as Atmos with 5.1 signal input rather than stereo PCM.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have played with several configurations of trying to play Dolby Atmos tracks from Tidal via my Marantz SR7013 A/V. The Tidal tracks listed by Tidal as Dolby Atmos are label as not supported by the device and played as stereo PCM. This is the same result with Tidal playing via HEOS or the Tidal app on my connected Apple TV 4k. However, when playing Atmos tracks from Apple Music, via my iPhone or the Apple TV app, the track play as Atmos with 5.1 signal input rather than stereo PCM.
Hello and welcome! Are you using a Premium or HiFi Tidal subscription? Atmos tracks will play in multichannel atmos/PCM on the Apple TV 4K only with a Tidal HiFi subscription. HEOS devices are not supported by Tidal for atmos playback at all.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Hello and welcome! Are you using a Premium or HiFi Tidal subscription? Atmos tracks will play in multichannel atmos/PCM on the Apple TV 4K only with a Tidal HiFi subscription. HEOS devices are not supported by Tidal for atmos playback at all.
Works on my Shield TV too. Very well I might add.

Receivers probably don't have the necessary version of Tidal that works with Atmos. Those built in apps sound convenient until support for them dies. Now that I'm aware it's easy to avoid, but very annoying for folks that grow to rely on these apps.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
How do you play ATMOS from Apple Music via your iPhone to your Pre-Pro or AVR? Do you have some sort of Lightning to HDMI connection?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis