Why can't I adjust the speed of my like-new Sony XL300USB turntable?

T

trochetier

Audioholic
To each his own. If Nickless likes the music from LP played at 31.8rpm that's his music, his choice and his taste.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Googled.........."If your PC has a digital optical audio output, you can connect it to a digital optical input on a home theater receiver".

It seems I could connect my laptop's digital optical output to my receiver's optical input. But if I made a USB recording from my Sony turntable onto digital files of my laptop and onto a flash drive little device, I would want a more reliable copy of that file onto a CD-R instead of a flash drive, because flash drives/lap tops can become damaged in so many years and then there goes all those digital files. So I would HAVE TO have those digital files burned onto a CD-R because CDS/ CD-RS last for 100 years or longer. So I would then also have to compare both different versions to find out which sounds slightly better. I imagine a CD-R audio version played on a CD player will sound slightly better than a CD-R with digitally burned files being played in a lap top sounding slightly more like audio thats been digitally processed on CD-R. Correct??

Googled- "Among the manufacturers that have done testing, there is consensus that, under recommended storage conditions, CD-R, DVD-R, and DVD+R discs should have a life expectancy of 100 to 200 years or more".
You can put the file on your hard drive, a flash drive or an optical disc....multiples are good in case of an untimely failure. I'll listen to the CD on a player on receipt then I'll rip it and file the cd away as backup. I copy the files to backup drives as well as have them on various flash drives that I change contents on once in a while. If you have a bit-perfect file and playback it doesn't matter how you do it....

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Googled.........."If your PC has a digital optical audio output, you can connect it to a digital optical input on a home theater receiver".

It seems I could connect my laptop's digital optical output to my receiver's optical input. But if I made a USB recording from my Sony turntable onto digital files of my laptop and onto a flash drive little device, I would want a more reliable copy of that file onto a CD-R instead of a flash drive, because flash drives/lap tops can become damaged in so many years and then there goes all those digital files. So I would HAVE TO have those digital files burned onto a CD-R because CDS/ CD-RS last for 100 years or longer. So I would then also have to compare both different versions to find out which sounds slightly better. I imagine a CD-R audio version played on a CD player will sound slightly better than a CD-R with digitally burned files being played in a lap top sounding slightly more like audio thats been digitally processed on CD-R. Correct??

Googled- "Among the manufacturers that have done testing, there is consensus that, under recommended storage conditions, CD-R, DVD-R, and DVD+R discs should have a life expectancy of 100 to 200 years or more".
I digitized nearly all my LPs and and all my mix tapes from 1970's and 1980's saved them in FLAC format in an external backup hard drive. Then transferred them to a microSD card which is now inside my receiver. Digital files played from CD-R or directly from a .wav, .FLAC file will sound exactly the same in the same system. Only exceptions - your CD player is introducing significant artifacts in D to A conversion or your pre-existing bias of CD vs digital file play back.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Googled-
"
Do CDs sound better than digital?
There's no question that CDs sound much better than MP3s.

High-Resolution Audio offers both quality and convenience."
OOOOF!

It's hard to know where to even begin on your education here!

Let me say this first-- The BRAND of CD-R that you choose is very important! Memorex is trash, as are most others! I ONLY use Maxell CD-Rs, or maybe Toshiba if Maxell is not available. If you choose another brand, don't rely on those as long-term storage solutions. I have had Memorex that have delaminated after just a few years.

Sure, digi files can become corrupt, the HDD can fail, etc. Making a CD-R copy is no different/better than making a separate copy on an external HDD. The BEST option is to have an external HDD with ALL of your important pics, music, files on it as a backup copy, and store that SOMEWHERE ELSE, like a safe deposit box or at a friend's house. What happens when your home accidentally burns down? You lose ALL of your data unless you have copies offsite or in the cloud.

I imagine a CD-R audio version played on a CD player will sound slightly better than a CD-R with digitally burned files being played in a lap top sounding slightly more like audio thats been digitally processed on CD-R. Correct??
Nope, wrong again! A digital copy is a digital copy, the media is absolutely irrelevant. Assuming your copy is "bit perfect" to the original, that is all that matters. I use EAC to rip my commercial CDs to FLAC, and it will tell you whether or not your rip is bit-perfect.

Googled-
"
Do CDs sound better than digital?
There's no question that CDs sound much better than MP3s.

CDs are digital! The file type on a CD will typically be DSD files. There is no doubt that CDs can sound better than low bit rate MP3s, but you are literally comparing apples to oranges here!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's a thought that everyone missed or failed to mention based on HIFI's comment made about recording speeds used for CDs and LPs. Assuming that his CD player is spinning at the correct speed, I would think that the OP's TT is also spinning at the correct speed because its playing slightly faster than its CD counterpart on purpose because the way the LP has been recorded. Without measurements, its hard to proove but this scenario is entirely the most likely outcome.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

CDs are digital! The file type on a CD will typically be DSD files. There is no doubt that CDs can sound better than low bit rate MP3s, but you are literally comparing apples to oranges here!
Eh? The file type on an SACD might be DSD, but not on a redbook cd.....maybe cda/cdda?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good catch! Regardless, it does not change the fact that audio on a CD is indeed in a digital file format (I just made a mistake on which file format is most common).

No problem, figured you knew :) Nickless does have some odd ideas about digital files and playback devices, but audiophilia is full of such nonsense.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis