S

sab30

Audioholic Intern
I know it sounds stupid, but as I make my last minute reflections before buyers remorse kicks in..I look at my old sturdy Technics 5.1 AV reveiver with DTS and wonder..is the $1000 I'm about to drop on a Yamaha going to make that much of a difference..besides 6.1 and 7.1 DTS EX maybe pump the $1000 extra in REALLY kicking speakers !!! Is is time for my old Infinity minuete speakers to go to there final resting place. Is there really a huge audio quality audio difference or is it similar to the cable debate..I just want to speand my money on the right stuff (ie projector, speakers, and acounstics)

Final thoughts ?????

SAB

JVC

JVC

Banned
There is definately a big difference between 5.1 and 6.1/7.1!
The new receiver probably has more power? Probably has better DAC's? Probably has more inputs? It really comes down to: "How bad do you want better"? :)

Also.............new will have warranty. If you spend on something else, and the older receiver goes out.............. you'll have a problem.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
While I agree with JVC that there is a difference between 5.1 and 6.1/7.1; the difference, to my wallet anyway, would not be worth $1000. I can tell you that going from a Technics to a a Yamaha will make a sizable sound improvement.
I recently upgraded from a low/mid-end Sony to a Yamaha 1500. The difference was amazing.
One word of warning, if you think your speaker suck that reciever, and I'm assuming it's the 2500, may painfully prove you right.
Depending on your budget, you may wish to consider holding some cash back for that realization. The most talked about difference between the 1500 and the 2500 is the extra component video input present on the 2500. If that is a consideration then the 2500 is the way to go.
SAB, I'm not trying to disuade you from the buying the 2500. Honestly some of the advantages of it have me wondering "what if?". But at this point I really have no complaints about my 1500.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Last year, I chose the 1400 over the 2400 due to the cost. I am happy. And with the money I saved, I added an amp. Though the cost was more, I am certain it is above & beyond a 2400. :D

Last edited:
dsa220

dsa220

Junior Audioholic
There is definately a big difference between 5.1 and 6.1/7.1!
Provided your room can handle a 6.1/7.1 set-up. I would much rather have a good well set-up 5.1 system than a mediocre (compromised) 6.1/7.1 set-up. If you have the real estate, then 6.1/7.1 can well be worth it, just remember, more does not always mean better.

Other than that, I agree that moving up to get [better] DAC's, power supply, inputs/outputs can be worth the cost. As NomoSony and zumbo point out, look carefully when you buy, if the difference is merely cosmetic or an input that you do not need, put your money to better use, like new software to play on your new toy! :D

S

sab30

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the advice..I think the painful advice is that I need both. JVC you are right build it around warranty to start so I will get my new Yamaha receiver but the speakers will have to go..it will be like running super unleaded in 1987 chevette (no slam against any owners). I have been on the phone with Aperion to see what my dream package would cost..I may be broke but I will be broke watching movies in a GREAT home theater.

:)

SAB

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
sab30 said:
Thanks for the advice..I think the painful advice is that I need both. JVC you are right build it around warranty to start so I will get my new Yamaha receiver but the speakers will have to go..it will be like running super unleaded in 1987 chevette (no slam against any owners). I have been on the phone with Aperion to see what my dream package would cost..I may be broke but I will be broke watching movies in a GREAT home theater.

:)

SAB
$300 speakers and $1000 receiver will sound only so-so. On the other hand $1000 speakers and a $300 receiver will sound damn good. IMHO all great sounding audio systems are built around the best front speakers you can afford. With all due respect to the other posters, speakers and room acoustics account for about 95% of what you hear. As long as you are not clipping the receiver has little to do with the way your system sounds. Put your money in speakers and room treatments if you want great sound, put it in a new receiver if you what you want is greater "toy factor."

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Nick250 said:
$300 speakers and $1000 receiver will sound only so-so. On the other hand $1000 speakers and a $300 will sound damn good. IMHO all great sounding audio systems are built around the best front speakers you can afford. With all due respect to the other posters, speakers and room acoustics account for about 95% of what you hear. As long as you are not clipping the receiver has little to do with the way your system sounds. Put your money in speakers and room treatments if you want great sound, put it in a new receiver if you what you want is greater "toy factor."
I agree. I have about $3000 in speakers, $400 receiver, & $800 for the amp. So, 60% is on my speakers.(3000/1200) Close to the above of 70%.(1000/300)

G

Grubert

Audioholic Intern
zumbo said:
I agree. I have about $3000 in speakers, $400 receiver, & $800 for the amp. So, 60% is on my speakers.(3000/1200) Close to the above of 70%.(1000/300)
Do the $3000 include the subwoofer?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Nick250 said:
$300 speakers and $1000 receiver will sound only so-so. On the other hand $1000 speakers and a $300 will sound damn good.
I agree as well.

While I would recommend updating to a newer receiver, you won't necessarily need to go as high as the $1K model. Only spend that much if that receiver has alot of features you need/want (like more component video inputs, digital inputs, more power, etc); otherwise you might find that a slightly lower model (less costly) would do just fine.

annunaki

annunaki

Nick250 gets a prize, with the correct answer. :)

Sorry Nick, I am not authorized to give prizes. :(

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Grubert said:
Do the $3000 include the subwoofer?
Yes. All were on sale. And I received a package discount.
about $1000 pr for mains (MB Quart QLS 830)
" $1000 pr for surround (MB Quart QLS 830)
" $440 for center (MB Quart QLS 330CTR)
" $560 for sub (NHT SW-12)

JVC

JVC

Banned
The room doesn't need to be large, for a 6.1 setup. Especially if you have an spl meter to calibrate with. If calibration is done correctly, the 6th speaker can be just inches from your head. I have about a foot and a half behind my couch. My 6th speaker sounds great there (with DD EX or DTS ES).
But, 7.1 is another story, since your usual rears move up to become side speakers, and you add another pair behind you. There, you need some room. That's why I setup mine as 6.1 instead of 7.1..........
Good luck and enjoy the new toys, when you get them. Let us know how they work out for you.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis