Why Bi-wiring Makes No Sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I certainly apologize for any pollution of the forum I might have caused by inadvertently re-opening this thread. I admit I didn't check the dates when I posted my original message.

Although I can imagine the argument might seem high tech, it really isn't. This is first year EE stuff.
It's still over my head, I'm sure someone here understands it.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
Although I can imagine the argument might seem high tech, it really isn't. This is first year EE stuff.
Well I didn't even made it to the first year...

... so I skipped from page 10 to page 30!

O

Omicron

Junior Audioholic
It's still over my head, I'm sure someone here understands it.
I didn't want to imply everyone should understand all of it. My native language is not English and sometimes what I'm trying to say comes out the wrong way :)

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
Ok, maybe I should be more explicit then.

In your arguments you always assume that the amplifier puts out a nice "clean" power waveform (no 2AB present in it). You then reason that the power in the speakers must be the difference between that nice clean power shape and the weirdness of the power lost in the wires. At the same time however, the thought experiment also makes sure that the currents through the speakers remain the same. I am referring to the thought experiment in my first post here (let's not complicate things by attaching both cases to the amplifier at the same time). In both cases A flows through the tweeter and B flows through the woofer.

Now, don't you see that this is a contradiction? The power in the speakers can only change if the currents through them changed. Yet the thought experiment was arranged such that those where kept constant!
Ah, you have not read the entire thread, eh? No wonder.

Post 141 details the actual difference. It uses a voltage source which is common to both. Commonality of drive is important to display the differences between the wire dissipations.

Post 94 shows the difference in wire dissipation between mono and bi.

Post 119 shows the simple wiring difference, for those who don't know what biwiring is..

Unfortunately, I can't find the test schematic for finding the difference at the tweeters. (for this test, use tight tolerance resistors with zero b-dot intercept error..after all, it is low impedance..) If you wish, I'll look for it. Perhaps it was on AVS forum..

Essentially, a pair of IA's, one on each tweeter of the circuit in post 141, with a difference summation of the IA's. Sweep a sine through the entire bandwidth, to assure a null (that's the most difficult part given tolerances and mag pickup with low impedance circs..
note: Test the caps and inductors across the full band..while the inductors I purchased are really consistent in regard to build density, winding diameter etc (down to about .005 inch deviations), inductance across the band consistent to .5%, the caps are a bit more difficult to match exactly. The resistors are not normal either, mine are 250 picohenries, 4 ohms, but most important, no external flux to contaminate the measurements. I posted those somewhere, they were fun to build..

Once null is assured, put in a 10K sine. Verify null. Then toss in 20 hz.

If null breaks, there are several choices.

1. Look for circuit errors.
2. Look for stray coupling.
3. Check the IA's for CMRR.
4. Rethink your first year EE...???

Remember, an EE degree is not designed to get one to think..it is there to prevent anarchy within our discipline. Thinking, that one has to have independently..

I believe this debate, while fairly civil, is almost pointless. I don't speak for everyone here, but I don't think most of have any clue what you are talking about.
Yes, it is civil, isn't it. What I like the best so far, was the "dark Helmut" quip..

You don't need to understand what is being talked about. Many threads here I fall into that boat..

Well, I certainly apologize for any pollution of the forum I might have caused by inadvertently re-opening this thread. I admit I didn't check the dates when I posted my original message.
Never a problem..how did you find it, though..buried so far into the archives..

I didn't want to imply everyone should understand all of it. My native language is not English and sometimes what I'm trying to say comes out the wrong way :)
I got news for you. I do not care what language is your native one, you have clearly stated everything you have posted so well that I would never have suspected english was not your primary. Very well done.

Cheers, John

O

Omicron

Junior Audioholic
Ah, you have not read the entire thread, eh? No wonder.
You'll have to forgive me but it's much too long.

Let us try to simplify what we are talking about to the simplest possible experiment that still should exhibit your special distortion.

I propose this:

A signal generator capable of generating A + B, with A and B perfect sine waves of different frequency. Attached to the signal generator is a resistor simulating the wire in series with a resistor simulating the speaker (we will dispense with the filter and consider just one speaker).

If your argument holds water then the weird distortion should also be present in the "speaker" resistor in this simple setup. Because in the "wire" resistor the same 2AB is present in terms of power.

True?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I think all of this is getting way out of hand, and now I don't understand anything what you're talking about anymore. and I'm an engineer, I should understand this :eek:

I have one suggestion, or call it CHALLENGE:
If this biwiring thing is so magical, please provide a simple drawing that shows why, and publish it on this thread, one simple drawing would easily explain this....

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
You'll have to forgive me but it's much too long.
Oh trust me, I forgive you...It is very long indeed.
Let us try to simplify what we are talking about to the simplest possible experiment that still should exhibit your special distortion.

I propose this:

A signal generator capable of generating A + B, with A and B perfect sine waves of different frequency. Attached to the signal generator is a resistor simulating the wire in series with a resistor simulating the speaker (we will dispense with the filter and consider just one speaker).

If your argument holds water then the weird distortion should also be present in the "speaker" resistor in this simple setup. Because in the "wire" resistor the same 2AB is present in terms of power.

True?
Your proposal is insufficient.

The reason being, the instantaneous power that will be dissipated within both the "wire" resistor and that of the "speaker" resistor scale exactly at every instant in time, regardless of the signal that has been presented....I squared R. (note, this is exactly what each driver in a biwire setup does.)

What you propose has nothing to do with reactive branch analysis.

I have presented the simplist possible experiment that constrains the system with regard to input stimulus.

You must consider the branching node, Kirchoffs law, and the algebraic identity (A+B)^2 = A^2 plus B^2 plus 2AB.

Consider the wire systems as closed systems with input and output. Consider both speaker systems also as closed systems.
Then, consider why we expect the biwire speaker and monowire speaker to have the exact same response even though the power delivery systems feeding them do not dissipate power equally.

I take the laws of thermodynamics very seriously...:D

Cheers, John

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
I think all of this is getting way out of hand, and now I don't understand anything what you're talking about anymore. and I'm an engineer, I should understand this :eek:

I have one suggestion, or call it CHALLENGE:
If this biwiring thing is so magical, please provide a simple drawing that shows why, and publish it on this thread, one simple drawing would easily explain this....

Sigh...post number 141

Cheers, John

O

Omicron

Junior Audioholic
Then, consider why we expect the biwire speaker and monowire speaker to have the exact same response even though the power delivery systems feeding them do not dissipate power equally.
In reference to the figure in post 141. I agree that both speakers differ in the amount of power they put out. Clearly the mono wire speakers will have less voltage to work from due to the higher wire resistance and so will output less power.

If the mono wired speakers produce distorted sound however, then clearly the signal must already be distorted at the box terminals even before the filters. In that case I can simply replace the mono wired box with an equivalent impedance and I would STILL be able to measure the same distortion at the end of the cable. The mono wire I can replace with an equivalent resistor. I can also disconnect the bi-wire branch of your schematic completely at the amplifier terminals without any effect on the mono wire branch because the amplifier is a voltage source (as you pointed out yourself).

So what do we have left?

I see a device that generates A+B with connected to it a resistor (wire) and an impedance (speaker). Sound familiar? But since you already disregarded my experiment there is no point in continuing this.

I'm very sorry John, but this ends the discussion for me.

Last edited:
J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
Honestly, I don't think post #141 explains anything (that I understand)
Sorry about that..it's been a year, ya know..:eek:

I'll try to find the relevant posts, I know they are here somewhere..gotta go rotozip now..

In reference to the figure in post 141. I agree that both speakers differ in the amount of power they put out. Clearly the mono wire speakers will have less voltage to work from due to the higher wire resistance and so will output less power.

If the speakers produce distorted sound however, then clearly the signal must already be distorted at the speaker terminals even before the filters. In that case I can simply replace the speaker with an equivalent impedance and I would STILL be able to measure the same distortion at the end of the cable. I can also disconnect the bi-wire branch of your schematic without any effect because the amplifier is a voltage source (as you pointed out yourself).
You are missing the points...several of them.

1. Compare the powerloss in the monowire to the powerloss of the biwires. They do not have the same instantaneous loss, the difference being 2AB.

2. The biwire branch is there to show the entire systems. What is really only needed is the biwire tweeter leg to compare the voltage of both tweeters.

But since you already disregarded my experiment there is no point in continuing this.
I did not disregard your experiment. What I pointed out was the fact that it was not an accurate model of the discussion.

I'm very sorry John, but this ends the discussion for me.
Oh well..thanks for the discussion.

Come back in another year. But next time, please understand the argument that has been presented. Putting two resistors in series and saying "proof" does nothing. Read every post I have made in this thread, read them carefully please.

Cheers, John

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
If bi-wiring sounded better, why would mono-wiring even exist?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
If bi-wiring sounded better, why would mono-wiring even exist?
Or you could look to Linn's high-end speakers, where you can run 5 parallel runs of cables... guess it's called penta-wiring :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

O

Omicron

Junior Audioholic
But next time, please understand the argument that has been presented. Putting two resistors in series and saying "proof" does nothing. Read every post I have made in this thread, read them carefully please.
I understand your arguments. I don't need to read all the posts you've made. They all say the same.

Clearly there is nothing I or anyone else can say that will ever convince you you are wrong. What you are claiming contradicts everything we know about linear circuits and is every bit as ludicrous as claiming to have invented a perpetuum mobile. I find it pretty amusing that you avoid all to the point challenges and instead revert to throwing around fancy words and jargon to impress the natives.

Be sure to let us know when they hand you that nobel prize.

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
I understand your arguments. I don't need to read all the posts you've made. They all say the same.
If you read them, you would know better.

I can't believe you joined AH for the express purpose of engaging in a thread that you didn't know was dead for over a year...and you didn't even bother reading through it to understand what the discussion was all about..

Clearly there is nothing I or anyone else can say that will ever convince you you are wrong.
Ummm... incorrect.

Salient points, accuracy, actually discussing the points of the argument...those'd work..

But you have done none of that yet. You've done very little with respect to the actual analysis, you don't even bother reading up on what it is..

Two series resistors with two sines? C'mon, that is not at all impressive as a strawman.

What you are claiming contradicts everything we know about linear circuits and is every bit as ludicrous as claiming to have invented a perpetuum mobile. I find it pretty amusing that you avoid all to the point challenges and instead revert to throwing around fancy words and jargon to impress the natives.
Your "point challenge" was two resistors in series? Sheesh...that was trashed in a coupla milliseconds..

Be sure to let us know when they hand you that nobel prize.
hmmm..so anything that you don't understand...must be nobel worthy because you don't understand it??? Please...

Cheers, John

O

Omicron

Junior Audioholic
Two series resistors with two sines? C'mon, that is not at all impressive as a strawman.

Your "point challenge" was two resistors in series? Sheesh...that was trashed in a coupla milliseconds..
I haven't seen you trash anything. In fact I haven't seen you respond to any of the points I've made so far.

Ok, I'll challenge you again then: show me ANY circuit with which you like to support your claims that cannot be reduced to one voltage source and 2 series impedances. Just one will do.

I told you step by step how to reduce your circuit from post 141 to just that. Without altering the behavior at the end of the speaker wires one bit. You consider that not analysis because I don't need maths or graphs for something as simple as that?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Guess I'd better stay out of this or someone may throw a handgranate at me :cool::cool::cool:

O

Omicron

Junior Audioholic
Guess I'd better stay out of this or someone may throw a handgranate at me :cool::cool::cool:
I don't think it would come to that :)

To be honest John and I have had this same discussion about 2 years ago on the diyaudio forum. The thread is still there in their archives. I distinctly remember John agreeing in the end that his hypothesis was wrong. Which is why I was baffled that the issue was again raised. Unfortunately John has seemed to have forgotten all about it and is now at a point where he thinks I'm a straw-man for some sinister dark power :)

John, you might want to check your last post in that thread. If you forgive me for quoting you, your exact words at that time were:

"I am now happy...and can easily reject the hypothesis that the selection of wiring scheme alters the signals via the 2ab component of a mixed signal power profile..perhaps in the near future, when I have my workshop back up, I will endeavor to do a test setup to confirm what we already understand.."

The thread is still there if you like to refresh your memory. It's titled "Bi wiring/single wire distortion thread" and you'll easily find it if you search on my user name.

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
I haven't seen you trash anything. In fact I haven't seen you respond to any of the points I've made so far.

Ok, I'll challenge you again then: show me ANY circuit with which you like to support your claims that cannot be reduced to one voltage source and 2 series impedances. Just one will do.

I told you step by step how to reduce your circuit from post 141 to just that. Without altering the behavior at the end of the speaker wires one bit. You consider that not analysis because I don't need maths or graphs for something as simple as that?
You're being silly.

Tell you what. Go to LeSeuf's site. Look up "modulation muddle".

Read and understand it.

So far, Jim has been the best to take on the analysis. Yes, he did approach it with a chip on his shoulder...but he did a rather decent job of it.

Study his analysis, study his graphs, study his waveforms and power analysis..

It's all rather good.

Till the end, of course..

All the differences, he showed..but then has the "crosover network" taking up the difference..

He violated the law of conservation of energy..oops...

As to your challenge? Show me that you understand what I'm talking about.

You young ones crack me up..I used to think it fun playing with my food. Now it can be an annoyance..

Cheers, John

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
There's one very simple solution

Screw the physics and theories....

Anyone going in for DBT's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com