Why are SACD's out of print?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Edit

That one is cool for SACD and Blu-ray Audio but if you also want DVD Audio you need the x800 or x800m2.
That's the one audio format I've seen the least of so not a worry for me. I might have two.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
What's currently available in dvd-audio, tho?
It’s all used discs as Blu-ray Audio is the replacement to DVD Audio.

For example I have Stone Temple Pilots “Core” DVD Audio that I got used on Amazon.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
To the best of my knowledge Sony bluray players will only output 5.1 channel sound from a multi-channel SACD via the HDMI output. You cannot get multi-channel over the coax or optical outputs.
Interestingly enough, today's Sony Universal Players which are said to play SACD yet do not have stereo RCA output do allow stereo SACD to be output via IEC 958 and, as you mentioned, 5.1 SACD is output via HDMI, which of course requires an AVR or amp with HDMI input. It's what makes these universal players so inexpensive but able to sound as good as anything else decoded by the AVR or amp, stereo or multi-channel. It's really sweet.

S

sterling shoote

I have a Diana Krall DVD-A and Amazon have several for sale at present:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Diana+Krall+DVD-Audio&ref=nb_sb_noss
I have 2 Diana Krall hybrid SACDs with 5.1 multi-channel and I have a multi-channel Diana Krall BD. All sound great. Diana Krall's arrangements inspire multi-channel, making me lose interest in Diana Krall in stereo. Yet, the BD disc is not just an insert disc and play proposition. You've got to power up the monitor and go through the menu to get multi-channel as desired.

S

soundboy

Audiophyte
Sony gave up on SACD, but luckily they still make universal SACD/blu ray players, that can play DSD files as well.
I don't think Sony "gave up" on SACD....more like they pulled back their efforts once the mass market rejected SACD. Sony still owns and operate 2 of the 3 SACD pressing facilities in the world (in Austria and Japan) and regularly releases new SACDs in Japan directly through its music division. In the US, instead of releasing SACD titles directly through its music division, Sony license its music for release on SACD through audiophile labels such as Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions, and the now-defunct Audio Fidelity. Given its niche status, it's surprising SACD has last over 20 years.

S

sterling shoote

To the best of my knowledge Sony bluray players will only output 5.1 channel sound from a multi-channel SACD via the HDMI output. You cannot get multi-channel over the coax or optical outputs.
That's right. It's what keeps the universal player cost down. Thing is you need an AVR or Prepro with input for an HDMI connection. No problem there unless you're like me running a pre HDMI Prepro. That's why I bought an OPPO instead of a Sony Universal Player.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

I don't think Sony "gave up" on SACD....more like they pulled back their efforts once the mass market rejected SACD. Sony still owns and operate 2 of the 3 SACD pressing facilities in the world (in Austria and Japan) and regularly releases new SACDs in Japan directly through its music division. In the US, instead of releasing SACD titles directly through its music division, Sony license its music for release on SACD through audiophile labels such as Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions, and the now-defunct Audio Fidelity. Given its niche status, it's surprising SACD has last over 20 years.
Maybe it's lasted because it's still state of the art for delivery of multi-channel gapless music entertainment.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis