Why Are People Buying PS3's?

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
Why Are People Buying PS3's?
By Luke Plunkett May 17, 2010 10:00 PM

I bought my PS3 when the old backwards-compatible PAL model was taken off the market. I got one of the last ones. That's my story. But why do other people buy PS3's? Research firm Nielsen decided to find out.

Polling 700 people aged between 7-54, all of whom were in the market for a PS3, the company asked what it was exactly that was driving these people to purchase Sony's home console. Their responses show that, at least by this stage in the console's lifespan, anyone thinking individual games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted or Killzone had a big influence on console sales is crazy.

As you can see, the console's Blu-Ray drive, overall library of games and recent price cut all played the biggest part in convincing these consumers that the PS3 was right for them. Also important were things like upgrading from a PS2 (and with 150 million of them out there, there's a lot of people left to upgrade)and playing games with friends who own a PS3.

Something that wasn't playing an important role was a desire to purchase a single game, only 12% of respondents saying that even contributed to their decision, let alone serve as the key motivator. Those that did, though, cited God of War III as a must-have, with no other game - including Final Fantasy XIII - managing much of a mention.

You can see the full range of responses below. They're interesting, but I can't help but feel that one for the Wii would be even more interesting.

Source: Kotaku

Thunder18

Thunder18

Senior Audioholic
I'd love to see one on the Wii as well. That system just holds no interest for me at all

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I'd love to see one on the Wii as well. That system just holds no interest for me at all
I think the big draw for the Wii is the ease of playing games and the social aspect. Non-gamers can play many of the games within minutes of picking up a controller. I have to admit I have no interest in a Playstation or Xbox. I haven't been a true gamer since college. I tend to get annoyed with a million buttons to figure out and at least an hour to figure out how to play any given game. I want something I can pick up and play for an hour, then move on to something else without investing hours or days to figure out how to be successful. Mind you, back in the day I started out with an Atari. One button and a joystick.

When I have people over, the Wii tends to be a big hit because everyone can play and laugh at each other. Throw in some adult beverages and it turnes into a lot of entertainment.

Just like audio, various people are looking for different things from their system.

Ares

Ares

Audioholic Samurai
I think the big draw for the Wii is the ease of playing games and the social aspect. Non-gamers can play many of the games within minutes of picking up a controller. I have to admit I have no interest in a Playstation or Xbox. I haven't been a true gamer since college. I tend to get annoyed with a million buttons to figure out and at least an hour to figure out how to play any given game. I want something I can pick up and play for an hour, then move on to something else without investing hours or days to figure out how to be successful. Mind you, back in the day I started out with an Atari. One button and a joystick.

When I have people over, the Wii tends to be a big hit because everyone can play and laugh at each other. Throw in some adult beverages and it turnes into a lot of entertainment.

Just like audio, various people are looking for different things from their system.
I agree the Wii is a console that anyone can pick up and play, I have had Wii parties because it's a console that at all my guests can play with minimal instructions, but when you throw alcohol in to the mix it makes for some funny moments, as long as this never happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
GPS

GPS

Enthusiast
I bought a wii for my son the weekend it came out and we have played it maybe 10 times since then. I get nervous every time someone swings that damn remote.

I have 3 PS3's though. Bought first two for Blu-Rays then got the third to stream Netflix movies in the bedroom.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I agree the Wii is a console that anyone can pick up and play, I have had Wii parties because it's a console that at all my guests can play with minimal instructions, but when you throw alcohol in to the mix it makes for some funny moments, as long as this never happens.
I've seen this video countless times and I have a few theories about it.

Theory # 1 - It could be staged. Support: The guy doesn't get overly upset. Anti-Support: That appears to be a Samsung side lit LED TV, I can't imagine someone intentionally destroying an LED set as they are quite expensive and it doesn't add any additional humor to the video.

Theory # 2 - The guy is mentally incomplete. Based on his apparel and I believe he's calling to his mother (don't have sound connected right now, can't verify). Support: He's calling to his mother meaning he lives with a parent. He is poking the screen, shaking the TV and patting it seemingly to get it back to normal operation (not remotely logical)

If you believe either of my two theories it means that people either think a staged video is funny, or that a mentally challanged person breaking a $3000 TV is funny. We're either idiots.... or evil.:D

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
its staged, i mean come on guys it looks so fake.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
as you can see the image is slowly faded in from this still frame.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis