itschris

itschris

I am getting an Eversolo DMP-A6 this weekend. A good friend bought it and it is way more than he needs. He is picking up another WiiM Pro. This will replace my SMSL dac and raspberry pi streamer. I know it is way overkill but I want it for the balanced outs, screen setup and it's Roon Ready.
Adding the companion DAC Z8 is a huge improvement to that unit. The DMP A8... their newest model is even better. My friend, a rabid enthusiast and I spent entire a weekend non-scientifically a/b testing The EverSolo A6 with and without the DAC... the EverSolo A8... and the HiFi Rose 150B. We tested going through the analog inputs of my receiver bypass and non-bypass to my Sunfire Amp as well as running RCA vs XLR direct to the amp. We tested all of that against each other as well as to my AppleTV 4K ... all of it running Apple Music and Tidal.

Either way... the DMP A6 is an fantastic unit all on it's own. Comparing Apple Music between the A6 and my Apple TV 4K resulted in some differences depending on how it was run. Running the A6 direct into my Sunfire was noticeably different than running Apple Music through my Apple TV HDMI through my receiver in bypass. Note I didn't say better... just different. it's hard to describe, but we both seemed to prefer the sound of all the streamers direct into the Sunfire with different degrees of subjective improvement.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Adding the companion DAC Z8 is a huge improvement to that unit. The DMP A8... their newest model is even better. My friend, a rabid enthusiast and I spent entire a weekend non-scientifically a/b testing The EverSolo A6 with and without the DAC... the EverSolo A8... and the HiFi Rose 150B. We tested going through the analog inputs of my receiver bypass and non-bypass to my Sunfire Amp as well as running RCA vs XLR direct to the amp. We tested all of that against each other as well as to my AppleTV 4K ... all of it running Apple Music and Tidal.

Either way... the DMP A6 is an fantastic unit all on it's own. Comparing Apple Music between the A6 and my Apple TV 4K resulted in some differences depending on how it was run. Running the A6 direct into my Sunfire was noticeably different than running Apple Music through my Apple TV HDMI through my receiver in bypass. Note I didn't say better... just different. it's hard to describe, but we both seemed to prefer the sound of all the streamers direct into the Sunfire with different degrees of subjective improvement.
Thanks for those thoughts. My Michi was a big buy for me this year and I honestly had no intention of buying the A6 until my friend didn't need it. I like it much more than the dac/pi setup but if there any more upgrades for me it will be speakers or replacing my aging NUC server.

itschris

itschris

Thanks for those thoughts. My Michi was a big buy for me this year and I honestly had no intention of buying the A6 until my friend didn't need it. I like it much more than the dac/pi setup but if there any more upgrades for me it will be speakers or replacing my aging NUC server.
The great thing is that the DMP A6 is fantastic as it is. What I've learned is that DACs are really what has been the missing piece for me and my setup. And for the A6, down the road, you can always pick up the Z8 as a companion piece if you want but that's just icing on an already great cake. I do already know of a couple people who plan on upgrading to the newest DMP A8 so some people who already went the A6/Z6 or Z8 who are migrating maybe putting stuff up for resale. I think you'll see some of the EverSolo DACs on places like Audiogon pretty soon. Either way though... the A6 will be a really nice addition. Post up your thought once you have some time with it.

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
The great thing is that the DMP A6 is fantastic as it is. What I've learned is that DACs are really what has been the missing piece for me and my setup. And for the A6, down the road, you can always pick up the Z8 as a companion piece if you want but that's just icing on an already great cake. I do already know of a couple people who plan on upgrading to the newest DMP A8 so some people who already went the A6/Z6 or Z8 who are migrating maybe putting stuff up for resale. I think you'll see some of the EverSolo DACs on places like Audiogon pretty soon. Either way though... the A6 will be a really nice addition. Post up your thought once you have some time with it.
Just saw this today. Nice to see they are reviewing these products now.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I think of a streamer as a modern-day tuner with the ability to choose your music and much higher fidelity.

itschris

itschris

I think if it as a companion to a turntable, CD and SACD players, reel to reel. It’s just a component for the modern times.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis