Who's got the best App to control their AVR? (Denon seems to stuck on 2016 and it sucks)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
So, a little bird, yeah that’s it, a little bird told me that support for the Yamaha AV Controller app has ended. The app hadn’t been updated in a year and will not receive anymore updates and will never see its way to the new models.:confused: Said it before, if you have an X080, cherish it forever and see about getting another one as insurance. Get on the horn and tell Yamaha you will NOT purchase a new model until they bring the AV Controller app back. Then, fold like a card table and buy a new A6A.:D
View attachment 50439
View attachment 50441
Have you tried using a computer or smart device to control one of these via IP, as the MusicCast pieces can be? I use that for my Yamaha WXC-50 when I'm at my computer, but use the app when I have my phone.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve used the IP web setup but usually use the physical remote control and on screen GUI to make changes and adjustments. It’s painful at times as the RX-V6A/TSR-700 GUI is a disgrace to modern GUIs. But, it is what it is.

I’ve recently switched back to the Onkyo and use the physical remote control and far better GUI there most of the time. The app and web setup are starting to show their age and I noticed the GUI from 2021 models is unchanged and features a pic of a remote control that dates back to at least the 2017 models. But, I guess we’re lucky Onkyo is still around at all and I love mine.

I’d be willing to bet Denon/Marantz take a similar route as Yamaha with their next line and fold their app into a HEOS hybrid since they haven’t updated the one they have now and it still flies a 2016 flag. But, at least they have a great GUI.

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
I just want to be on the patio, zone 2, and be able to change sources and volume and access my digital music on my pc with DLNA. What is an alternative to an app when you're not in the main room?
I'm very interested in this thread because I need to throw my Onkyo NR929 in a dumpster sooner rather than later and purchase a replacement. Onkyo Remote app limps along but the major problem is the receiver continually and regularly losing net connectivity even being hardwired, causing me to have to reset and go through the initial setup every...single...time.
My main room has two NHT Absolute Towers and two NHT Absolute Zeros, Zone 2 patio has two NHT O2 Arc outdoor speakers. Oh, and two NHT Classic Threes in bedroom Zone 3, but it seems like 3 zone functionality is going away.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Im not interested in using apps and being chained to my phone. I put the phone or the tablet away when I watch movies and listen to music. Its my time, not phone time. I'll stick to the Harrmony remotes for now until I run out of my small stock pile and switch to something else. I got an app for my laundry machine, installed it, played with it and now the novelity has worn off and Im free of my cell phone once more.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I like control apps, but you gotta’ draw a line somewhere. I still get up and walk down the hallway to change the thermostat. So, at least there’s that. :p

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I definitely consider phone and AVR as separate things. I’m already tied up on the phone on Bluetooth headset most of the day for work so it’s not convenient at all to try to use my phone for apps or as some remote... I am pretty happy streaming with my Apple Music Lossless on my AppleTV 4K with the new gen Apple TV remote. (The prior Apple remote was garbage). :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Getting back to the best app, I think anybody using a Yamaha 2080 or 3080 with three zones and the Yamaha AV Controller app is quite happy with the setup. One can still get three zones from many current models from Denon/Marantz, Onkyo/Pioneer and Yamaha but the apps are dated and new Yamahas are stuck with the MusicCast app which is ok but not fully featured like the AV Controller app. The best app is only as good as the device and network it is working in and may not be operating with new firmware because of old hardware.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Another vote for Yamaha on the app. Since the remote on the 3060 pretty much sucks. I find myself using the Music-Cast app more than the AV Controller app as well. The AV control has more functionality for sure but Music-Cast is more intuitive to control sources. I just find it easier to change inputs, and better features. For instance - when I hit "Server" on the AV app, it will switch to the server input immediately. When I tap server on the ,Music-Cast app it will stay on the current source...DirecTV or whatever, and let me scroll the Albums and artist, then when I find a song I want, I tap the song, than it switches to the Server input and starts playing. It's also much easier to see the entire album and scroll through your collection to decide what to play next, when I'm playing DJ for some company.

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
I still get up and walk down the hallway to change the thermostat.
yeah, me too, but I select audio sources and songs somewhat more frequently. Come to think of it, I never walk down the hallway to change the thermostat - it's programmed.

ecologydoc

ecologydoc

Junior Audioholic
Im not interested in using apps and being chained to my phone. I put the phone or the tablet away when I watch movies and listen to music. Its my time, not phone time. I'll stick to the Harrmony remotes for now until I run out of my small stock pile and switch to something else. I got an app for my laundry machine, installed it, played with it and now the novelity has worn off and Im free of my cell phone once more.
And when you're in a different Zone, out of range of the AVR? That's the question I'm asking.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I like harmony hub and now control4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

ChuckvB

Enthusiast
One pain is making small level adjustments to speakers as movies are not all balenced the same. Just tryto find those settings in the Denon app, let alonethe volume level for zone 2 or 3, horrible crap

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
I love the music cast amp with my RX-V4a. Easy to use and choose "scenes" (inputs) , subwoofer trim control and sound mode control. displays information on incoming signal . Easy to use . Love it!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love the music cast amp with my RX-V4a. Easy to use and choose "scenes" (inputs) , subwoofer trim control and sound mode control. displays information on incoming signal . Easy to use . Love it!
How do you use MusicCast app to change Sound mode, Sub trim and display info on incoming signal?

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
How do you use MusicCast app to change Sound mode, Sub trim and display info on incoming signal?
Click on source, then the banner at bottom of screen which will bring up a detailed screen. Then three lines in corner . See next few posts........

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis