Who's got the best App to control their AVR? (Denon seems to stuck on 2016 and it sucks)

C

ChuckvB

Enthusiast
Todays AVRS has limited physical controls and are meant to be controlled remotely. That being said I have a Denon AVR-X4500H from a few years ago and the app sucks, nothing is easy to find or adjust. The layout is horrible. Good luck finding zone 2 3 Controls, sound fields, etc. I'm thinking of replacing my Denon just for the app as they have not released any improvements since 2016. Yahama seems pretty good from the look but what insight is out there on the state of AVR Apps?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Yamaha’s AV Controller WiFi Remote app is the best I’ve used.

I use it everyday and it works 100% of the time even when the internet is down.

C

ChuckvB

Enthusiast
I looked at it on Yahama's sure it looks good but hard to tell until you've used it with feature full AVR. I can't understand how Denon can let their app suck so much as it's how you run the units today. It's also strange that i don't see any good reviews and comparisons of all the major AVR OEM's Apps. An I the only one that wants an easy to use as well as good sounding AVR?

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I think Yamaha’s AV Controller WiFi Remote app is the best I’ve used.

I use it everyday and it works 100% of the time even when the internet is down.
I have been swapping back and forth between the remote app and the musiccast app. Both seem pretty intuitive.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have been swapping back and forth between the remote app and the musiccast app. Both seem pretty intuitive.
What do you use the MusicCast app for? Streaming?

I don’t even use the MusicCast app anymore. I used it in the beginning. But now I just use AV Controller for everything.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I looked at it on Yahama's sure it looks good but hard to tell until you've used it with feature full AVR. I can't understand how Denon can let their app suck so much as it's how you run the units today. It's also strange that i don't see any good reviews and comparisons of all the major AVR OEM's Apps. An I the only one that wants an easy to use as well as good sounding AVR?
You’re not the only one for sure.

My HT equipment are in a HT Closet. So I definitely rely on the WiFi Remote app. I don’t even use the physical remote.

For me, having a WiFi Remote app that works 100% of the time is a MUST.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I wouldn't want to use a device-specific app to control a system. A universal control hub and its app, with custom button mapping, is the best way to do this unless someone wants voice control and that's not as reliable as I would want in order to recommend it to anyone.

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
What do you use the MusicCast app for? Streaming?

I don’t even use the MusicCast app anymore. I used it in the beginning. But now I just use AV Controller for everything.
They both overlap in function to some degree, but, seem to have their differences. The musiccast app gives more info than the remote app during playback of files streamed from NAS storage (flac vs mp3, playback time, etc), lets the user stream files stored on his phone, etc. But, the remote app gives access to most of the "options" menu, (subwoofer trim, dialog level control, etc) which the musiccast app doesn't.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Never had a chance to use the Yamaha AV Controller app as it is no longer available on 2020 and 2021 models. The MusicCast app is limited but essential for music streaming services. For system configurations and adjustments, the web setup feature using a PC, Mac or tablet is preferable to using the physical remote control.

Onkyo’s Controller app is similar to Yamaha’s MusicCast app with a few more features. Onkyo’s have built in streaming services that can be accessed from the app or the physical remote control and also feature web setup for configuration and adjustments from a PC, Mac or tablet. The Onkyo app is in need of an update, though.

Onkyo and Yamaha web setup features are not optimized for Smart phones but will function. Both have remote control screens in their apps that mimic the functions of the physical remote control but the Yamaha app has issues with a couple of button labels and their functionality. They are supposed to be working on it.

I believe Denon has web setup feature. Has anybody used it? None of my Denons had web access so never used any apps or web setup features with any of them.

C

ChuckvB

Enthusiast
My 4500H has an onscreen display for setup but it or a web setup is not what you want to start and run your AVR for a movie or really anything. And the Onkyo x4500H remote is worthless in the dark. So why are the review sites not hammering the AVR companies on the crappy state of the interface they want us all to use?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don’t like using apps to control any of my stuff generally. Once I’m done and set up, I don’t want to mess with my phone, and have it light up and have my eyes adjust etc. I know most of my remotes well enough to do operations by feeling the buttons without looking. At least regular movie watching functions anyway.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I switch between apps and remote controls all the time it seems. HDMI-CEC with Smart TVs has made universal remote control of devices available from the TV remote control with some limitations. But, in 2021, it’s ridiculous for any AVR not to have a fully functional and updated app available for users. It will be interesting to see what happens with Denon/Marantz models next year. Will there be a new app? Will they fold the old one into HEOS app like Yamaha did with MusicCast with limited abilities? Will they just carry on with the old app for new units like Onkyo? Oh, and any AVR over a grand should include a backlit universal remote control for f#%k’s sake.

C

ChuckvB

Enthusiast
I wouldn't want to use a device-specific app to control a system. A universal control hub and its app, with custom button mapping, is the best way to do this unless someone wants voice control and that's not as reliable as I would want in order to recommend it to anyone.
I have a harmony elite with hub but it's not the device for a multi zone AVR with full features. I'm disappointed to heat that Yahama has gone backwards to a less capable remote. What would give me a fully customizable interface. I was not planning on going with a Crestron like approach. In fact I was expecting that to die first but with all the reviewers ignoring how you control AVRs and the Apps the OEMs are just putting out crap. Just try and find one semi current AVR app review. Heck try and find an AVR review that also reviews the app.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm disappointed to hear that Yahama has gone backwards to a less capable remote.
That is NOT the official word from Yamaha.

All we know is that FOR THE TIME BEING, the AV Controller app doesn’t work for the new AVRs YET.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My older Denon 4520 has IP control so I can use a pc for setup (not sure if that translates outside of a pc for android or iOS etc) but I haven't used that feature in years and don't believe that is an option with their latest models for a while now, at least I don't see it for the 4500 . Once I've setup the avr, a universal remote has been what I've used mostly but with Logitech cutting that off I suppose apps will gain in importance. If it's something I need to dig into setup modes then I'll just grab the stock remote for deeper dives altho with some help from Harmony you can probably get the universal to do everything the stock remote can.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I use Yamaha MusicCast for zone 2 out in my garage to listen to Pandora. That’s really the only time we use it but we use it daily since the treadmill is out there. :)

The slide volume on the musiccast app is not as nice as the plus minus volume on the original Yamaha controller app so I do prefer the original controller app when I’m not in zone 2.

C

ChuckvB

Enthusiast
Setup isn't really the issue as you do that once in a while and not while watching a movie or listening to music. But control to start an activity and change settings, sources, zone, etc. That's where the Apps suck badly. Given that Yahama may have a fair app but then doesn't work on two year old and newer AVRs that puts them right with a bad app.

highfigh

highfigh

I have a harmony elite with hub but it's not the device for a multi zone AVR with full features. I'm disappointed to heat that Yahama has gone backwards to a less capable remote. What would give me a fully customizable interface. I was not planning on going with a Crestron like approach. In fact I was expecting that to die first but with all the reviewers ignoring how you control AVRs and the Apps the OEMs are just putting out crap. Just try and find one semi current AVR app review. Heck try and find an AVR review that also reviews the app.
As long as the AVR manufacturers don't skimp on the codes, we should be fine, but I really hope someone grows a brain and comes up with a kick ass app for tablets.

highfigh

highfigh

I use Yamaha MusicCast for zone 2 out in my garage to listen to Pandora. That’s really the only time we use it but we use it daily since the treadmill is out there. :)

The slide volume on the musiccast app is not as nice as the plus minus volume on the original Yamaha controller app so I do prefer the original controller app when I’m not in zone 2.
Slide volume for MusicCast, on what- smart phone? Just use the phone's volume control.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, a little bird, yeah that’s it, a little bird told me that support for the Yamaha AV Controller app has ended. The app hadn’t been updated in a year and will not receive anymore updates and will never see its way to the new models.:confused: Said it before, if you have an X080, cherish it forever and see about getting another one as insurance. Get on the horn and tell Yamaha you will NOT purchase a new model until they bring the AV Controller app back. Then, fold like a card table and buy a new A6A.:D
88CED5F0-90F0-4E39-9D89-53DB9C13C8C8.png

C564624C-D440-4C01-9D90-F59921F61B25.jpeg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis