Who remembers the music clubs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Such fun they were, especially when scammed.....or you forgot to send back the postcard with the lame choices for the month....how many used one? I did for both LP and CD....Columbia then BMG :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh yeah baby!!! Lots of cassettes. Many I didn’t need. Got a few Cd’s but that didn’t last long... Such good memories lol.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think 99% of my CD collection is from those music clubs - was it the BMG Music Club or something like that? :D

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
I had a membership in the Columbia Record Club back in the day when a Stereo album cost a dollar more than a mono album!!!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
BMG... Columbia House...
Yeah, I remember those two as well. And somehow, I also remember owing them something ridiculous if you missed sending back one postcard, like oh that one CD costs $34, please pay up. Thanks...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I remember Record Club of America!
Were they affiliated directly with BMG or Columbia? Or were they a "conglomerate" of recording houses?

... and the Sshwann catalog! Is that still a thing?

Edit: to spell Schwann correctly - thanks Lovin for proper spelling!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I remember Record Club of America, too and they offered the Schwann catalog now that I look it up :). Apparently independent of Columbia House (part of Columbia Records) or BMG (who took over the RCA named service).

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yep I remember them. The initial 12 or 13 for one penny. Then you get some crappy cd of the month that you are supposed to send back to them... LOL :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Never. Even as a kid I knew it was a bad deal. :p
It would depend on your local store's prices for such, or if there were any.....but averaging out the costs it was reasonably competitive.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I had a membership in the Columbia Record Club back in the day when a Stereo album cost a dollar more than a mono album!!!
Yep I had a membership in Columbia Record Club back in high school. Like going to heaven when the first batch of LPs arrived dirt cheap. But then had to purchase one per month at retail. That's when reality set in. :(

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
BMG, CH, and not that terribly long ago one dedicated to jazz/classical. Forget the name of it. Before online much of my collection came from here. poop, still does to a degree. Gotta say though nothing beats going to used stores and coming home with something you didn't expect.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis