Who is going to purchase the new Avatar flick in 4K when it comes out?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't need a 4k edition, but have a player in case I upgrade the rest....but am more interested in getting a 3d disc, 1080p would be fine.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I have the first one in 3D and really was left wondering what all the hype was about at the time. However, I've run out of affordable things my wife and sons can get me for birthdays, Father's Day, Christmas, etc.; so I typically give them a Movie or Concert Disk list (now in 4K with Atmos) and I'll probably put this on it. If it was 3D 1080P with without Atmos that'll would be just fine too.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
If I want to watch Avatar 2, I will just rewatch Avatar 1, pretty much the same story. I saw it o Thursday. I accidentally paid for the 3D version of the movie. I have to say, the 3D really enhanced the 3 hour and 20 minute movie!. It looked really good. Too bad the story could not match the visual effects.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most definitely will get the James Cameron Avatar collection in 4K ATMOS.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I want to watch Avatar 2, I will just rewatch Avatar 1, pretty much the same story. I saw it o Thursday. I accidentally paid for the 3D version of the movie. I have to say, the 3D really enhanced the 3 hour and 20 minute movie!. It looked really good. Too bad the story could not match the visual effects.
First Avatar wasn't all that brilliant other than the video effects either, tho. I didn't buy my first Avatar disk for the reason of plot (most sci-fi/fantasy/adventure movies don't really either), altho I've read this comment a few times now but was hoping for something a bit better, I'll find out one of these days....might actually go see this one in the theater too.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
First Avatar wasn't all that brilliant other than the video effects either, tho. I didn't buy my first Avatar disk for the reason of plot (most sci-fi/fantasy/adventure movies don't really either), altho I've read this comment a few times now but was hoping for something a bit better, I'll find out one of these days....might actually go see this one in the theater too.
Don't fully agree, I think the story had some originality back in 2009, even if the ecological themes are oversensationalized. I enjoyed the first Avatar, though not to the level of success it achieved. I would not even have it my top 10 Best Movies list. The second one really does not bring much, if anything, new to the table.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't fully agree, I think the story had some originality back in 2009, even if the ecological themes are oversensationalized. I enjoyed the first Avatar, though not to the level of success it achieved. I would not even have it my top 10 Best Movies list. The second one really does not bring much, if anything, new to the table.
I'm not talking originality, just basic quality of the story/plot.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just for the sake of discussion, what part of the plot/story/writing?

It’s been so long since I saw Avatar, but I can’t recall any face-palm moments.

Was there a part that made you think “Why?, What the heck?” :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just for the sake of discussion, what part of the plot/story/writing?

It’s been so long since I saw Avatar, but I can’t recall any face-palm moments.

Was there a part that made you think “Why?, What the heck?” :D
It just wasn't that great/interesting a story in general IMO (and I'm not going to even go to the allegorical implications for the ecology/big bad corporation thing) as far as stories go. The planet itself was somewhat interesting, and the flora/fauna parts were interesting in a way (and the visuals of those particularly). Can't say there was a particular why what the heck moment tho.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It just wasn't that great/interesting a story in general IMO (and I'm not going to even go to the allegorical implications for the ecology/big bad corporation thing) as far as stories go. The planet itself was somewhat interesting, and the flora/fauna parts were interesting in a way (and the visuals of those particularly). Can't say there was a particular why what the heck moment tho.
Well that’s understandable. Everyone likes different things, so we don’t all like the same stories.

Yeah, I think the plot is very basic and formulaic- 2 parties want the same land, things, etc. and they fight for it

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
We're planning to go see it next week as a group from work, but I have little interest in seeing it. Purchase for home is highly unlikely for me. Didn't like the first one.

First big review I read said basically "great looking rehash of the last film. 1hr of movie and 2hrs of fluff"

3D Blu-ray only and if it comes with 4K too awesome.
I have the first one on 3D BD, which I obviously bought just for the visuals. I don't have a 3D TV anymore after the old one started to have color banding.

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
My point is that I felt the story was good, it was original, characters had some depth, some more than others. I liked the basic premise.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My point is that I felt the story was good, it was original, characters had some depth, some more than others. I liked the basic premise.
In the general sense it's not a new story. What depth? The depth of technical innovation and visual/auditory stuff exceeded the "depth" of the story IMHO.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
We took my mother in-law to see the first one in 2009. She hadn't been to the theater to see a movie in years. She came out of there speechless and with tears streaming down her face. She was absolutely blown away by it.

We're planning on taking her to see the 2nd over the holidays here. I don't think she's been to a theater since the first one. I can't wait.

Yes, I'll be buying it in 4K.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
In the general sense it's not a new story. What depth? The depth of technical innovation and visual/auditory stuff exceeded the "depth" of the story IMHO.
Not a fair comparison, and you are taking what I am saying out of context. The technical innovation was groundbreaking at the time. My point is I felt the characters were not one dimensional and had a backstory and character development. As I stated earlier, the story was good, but I even stated that it was not in my top 10. My point is that I don't believe it is as one dimensional as you make it out to be. Part 2 showed really no growth from the first.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a fair comparison, and you are taking what I am saying out of context. The technical innovation was groundbreaking at the time. My point is I felt the characters were not one dimensional and had a backstory and character development. As I stated earlier, the story was good, but I even stated that it was not in my top 10. My point is that I don't believe it is as one dimensional as you make it out to be. Part 2 showed really no growth from the first.
I'd think most of the cultural/personal backstory per character was extremely limited...imho.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I'd think most of the cultural/personal backstory per character was extremely limited...imho.
Imho, the protagonist, antagonist, the navi background I felt were fairly well developed. When you have that many ancillary characters, it is challenging to cover all your bases, and I even eluded that not all characters had as much depth. Did not expect this to be a debate when I fully didn't disagree with you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis