Which sub or subs would work best for me?

davek421

davek421

Audiophyte
I just finished my basement and finally had the opportunity to add surround sound. I went with a 5.2.4/5.1.4 setup with the space I created. I am not sure what sub or subs I should go with. I have a budget of 1600.00 for the sub/subs. I have tested the Paradigm Defiance X12 and X10. The X10 sounded better in the room. I am not sure if I should go with 1 sub or possibly 2 SVS PB1000 subs. I have added pictures of my current set up with the Defiance X10 sub that I have been testing.

My System is as follows:
LCR: Paradigm P80 IW
Rears: Paradigm P65 IW
Front Heights: Paradigm P65 R
In Ceiling: Paradigm P65 R
Receiver: Denon X6700H

So, my main question is should I go with 1 sub or 2? And any recommendations on subs.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
There is no reason that I can think of why the Defiance X12 wouldn't sound as good as the X10 unless you just didn't want deeper bass. That being said, I would go for two subs over one sub, so I would go for two PB-1000 Pros over a single X10.

By the way, no offense, but the rear surround speakers in your setup have terrible placement.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would go for Externally-powered (passive) In-Ceiling Subs like the RBH SI-1010 (dual 10" woofers) or SI-12 (single 12" woofer).

The "Air Vent" is actually the In-Ceiling sub.

davek421

davek421

Audiophyte
There is no reason that I can think of why the Defiance X12 wouldn't sound as good as the X10 unless you just didn't want deeper bass. That being said, I would go for two subs over one sub, so I would go for two PB-1000 Pros over a single X10.

By the way, no offense, but the rear surround speakers in your setup have terrible placement.
I am not sure you just couldn't feel it at the seating position and I moved it around and even did the bass crawl. now the 10 you can and I would assume it as to do with the nulls because of the room.

And no offense, I did what I could with the space that I had. I am happy that I finally have a space to watch movies LOUD. I have been wanting this for the last 15 years! And believe it or not, the rears still sound amazing, even with that location.

Thank you for the advice about the subs. One more question: Would you go 2 PB-1000 or to X10's?

davek421

davek421

Audiophyte
I would go for Externally-powered (passive) In-Ceiling Subs like the RBH SI-1010 (dual 10" woofers) or SI-12 (single 12" woofer).

The "Air Vent" is actually the In-Ceiling sub.
I haven't looked at that option. My ceiling is open but I will have to look in to that to see how that would work.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am not sure you just couldn't feel it at the seating position and I moved it around and even did the bass crawl. now the 10 you can and I would assume it as to do with the nulls because of the room.

And no offense, I did what I could with the space that I had. I am happy that I finally have a space to watch movies LOUD. I have been wanting this for the last 15 years! And believe it or not, the rears still sound amazing, even with that location.

Thank you for the advice about the subs. One more question: Would you go 2 PB-1000 or to X10's?
I would go for two PB-1000 Pros over a single X10.

J

Jerkface

Audioholic
I would assume it as to do with the nulls because of the room.

Congrats to you for checking off a bucket list item. As to bass nulls (sounds like it based on your description of the problem), have you looked into DIY corner bass traps? They can go a long way toward improving your bass response for a lot less than buying extra subs.

davek421

davek421

Audiophyte
Congrats to you for checking off a bucket list item. As to bass nulls (sounds like it based on your description of the problem), have you looked into DIY corner bass traps? They can go a long way toward improving your bass response for a lot less than buying extra subs.
Thank you, and no, I will take a look at that too. Thanks again!

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Nice set up TS.

Not to derail your thread too much, but how do those P 80 IW sound as fronts? I've been looking at pulling the trigger on 4 of them myself for my height/Atmos speakers.

Also, 2 subs for sure. I had 1 Defiance X12 in my HT room. It sounded great. Then I added a 2nd one. Wow. Absolutely amazing. Whether you stick with Paradigm or not, a 2 sub set up is the way to go.

davek421

davek421

Audiophyte
Nice set up TS.

Not to derail your thread too much, but how do those P 80 IW sound as fronts? I've been looking at pulling the trigger on 4 of them myself for my height/Atmos speakers.

Also, 2 subs for sure. I had 1 Defiance X12 in my HT room. It sounded great. Then I added a 2nd one. Wow. Absolutely amazing. Whether you stick with Paradigm or not, a 2 sub set up is the way to go.
The P 80 IW sound great, I had to set the speaker to large with my receiver because it sounded a lot better than setting it to small. Should I go with 2 Paradigm P X10's or 2 SVS PB's 1000 or 2000. I have a budget of 1600 and I can get the 2 P X10's for that. I think 2 X12 would probably sound better but cannot afford 2 at this time and just the one didn't sound as good as the P X10. I have tried moving it all around, did the bass crawl too and put it in the best spot.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
The P 80 IW sound great, I had to set the speaker to large with my receiver because it sounded a lot better than setting it to small. Should I go with 2 Paradigm P X10's or 2 SVS PB's 1000 or 2000. I have a budget of 1600 and I can get the 2 P X10's for that. I think 2 X12 would probably sound better but cannot afford 2 at this time and just the one didn't sound as good as the P X10. I have tried moving it all around, did the bass crawl too and put it in the best spot.
Thanks for the info.

I totally get it about having a budget. I'm the same way. I've been upgrading my HT room since the beginning of the year. Bought the one X12, then some surround speakers, then the 2nd X12. Next up is replacing my front sound stage with some better gear.

In the end, it's really a personal choice. Whichever you can afford, like the sound of, and feel comfortable with. The great thing (what I'm getting from your OP) is that you were able to audition the Paradigms first before making the purchase. I'd suggest the same with the SVS subs as well. They have a 45 (?) day trial period. Try them out first, then see how you feel after that. You may just decide you want to have 1 larger sub now, and save up to get a 2nd one down the road. Or you may decide that 2 10" are more than enough for you. Either way, it's all about your own personal preferences.

I'd definitely highly recommend a 2 sub set up no matter which way you go. Best of luck, and keep up posted.

Cheers.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi daveK,

Great first post. But I'm at a loss as to why the Center Speaker appears to be upside down. Can you advise?

I too would focus on dual SVS PB-1000 Pros on their risk free 45 day trial.

Good Luck with your next move.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

I’d go with a single 15” and add a second if needed. Hsu has sealed models if you need something lighter , but ported are best . 10” paradigms worst value 15 is best 12 second .
Pb1000 pro isa Good option , if you don’t listen louder . I’d probably consider an higher end model .
All the svs are kinda small except the pb16.

my sealed diy 15” sub crushes both my ported 10” subs, although the defiance is higher end then my 10”.
it’s simply more impressive for low bass, the defiance 15 or pb16 ultra are both powerful.
some people prefer one or the other brand , are you in USA ?

I’m shocked you think the smaller sub is better, you may need to do a sub crawl or something isn’t correct.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Dave,

Did I miss the room dimensions?

A single SVS PB-1000 Pro has a Bassaholic Large Room Rating of 3,000 => 5,000 Cubic Feet. (31.5-63 Hz Spl of 115dB and a 25Hz SPL of 109 dB.)

This may be helpful for you: Audioholics Bassaholic Spreadsheet 4-18-21

I hope this is helpful.

davek421

davek421

Audiophyte
Hi daveK,

Great first post. But I'm at a loss as to why the Center Speaker appears to be upside down. Can you advise?

I too would focus on dual SVS PB-1000 Pros on their risk free 45 day trial.

Good Luck with your next move.
The audio place that I bought the speakers from recommended it.

davek421

davek421

Audiophyte
I’d go with a single 15” and add a second if needed. Hsu has sealed models if you need something lighter , but ported are best . 10” paradigms worst value 15 is best 12 second .
Pb1000 pro isa Good option , if you don’t listen louder . I’d probably consider an higher end model .
All the svs are kinda small except the pb16.

my sealed diy 15” sub crushes both my ported 10” subs, although the defiance is higher end then my 10”.
it’s simply more impressive for low bass, the defiance 15 or pb16 ultra are both powerful.
some people prefer one or the other brand , are you in USA ?

I’m shocked you think the smaller sub is better, you may need to do a sub crawl or something isn’t correct.
I figure it is the room and that maybe I am in a null and with the 10" it is hitting in my seating position. Maybe 2 12" would fix that but that is a little over my budget right now. If I knew that 2 would correct the problem then I would buy 1 for now and buy the other at a later date but right now I do not know how to prove that.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis