Which speakers to choose? Help me build media room.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Denon 4500 has most of what the 6500 has. That will be cheaper.

The HSU VTF2 mk5 dual drive will cost $1,183 with shipping ($1,029 + $154). (Assuming shipped in the USA).

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
The Denon 4500 has most of what the 6500 has. That will be cheaper.

The HSU VTF2 mk5 dual drive will cost $1,183 with shipping ($1,029 + $154). (Assuming shipped in the USA).
Denon 4500 is for 5.2.4 or can I use it for 7.2.4. too? Thanks.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Denon 4500 is for 5.2.4 or can I use it for 7.2.4. too? Thanks.
Yes, but it requires you to buy an external amplifier to power 2 channels to have 7.1.4. (Powers 9 speakers out of the 11)

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Should you wish to go with the 7.2.4 system, the Monoprice Monolith 3X is a real bargain at $1100. It's out of stock at present but it sells at only $100 more than the 2 channel amp. With it, you could drive your 3 front channels.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
Should you wish to go with the 7.2.4 system, the Monoprice Monolith 3X is a real bargain at $1100. It's out of stock at present but it sells at only $100 more than the 2 channel amp. With it, you could drive your 3 front channels.
I am thinking of going with 7.2.4. system as I am getting a good deal on it and should get those speakers for 5200.

the Monoprice Monolith 3X is a real bargain at $1100 - That sound more in my budget. But it does not say anything about supporting Atmos.

Denon AVR X6500H, Denon AVR-X4500H and Denon AVR-X3600H - on the denon website describes all of them as 9.2 channel AV receiver. The wattage is different and HDMI inputs are different 7 or 8 HDMI inputs. Describes all of them as Dolby Atmos, IMAx enhanced, Dolby Atmos Height virtualization etc

Can I buy any of these for my 7.2.4. revel speakers set up? Whats the difference between them or will it make a difference to my 7.2.4. set up. There's quite a difference in price.

What about other brands like Onyx or Pioneer?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I am thinking of going with 7.2.4. system as I am getting a good deal on it and should get those speakers for 5200.

the Monoprice Monolith 3X is a real bargain at $1100 - That sound more in my budget. But it does not say anything about supporting Atmos.

Denon AVR X6500H, Denon AVR-X4500H and Denon AVR-X3600H - on the denon website describes all of them as 9.2 channel AV receiver. The wattage is different and HDMI inputs are different 7 or 8 HDMI inputs. Describes all of them as Dolby Atmos, IMAx enhanced, Dolby Atmos Height virtualization etc

Can I buy any of these for my 7.2.4. revel speakers set up? Whats the difference between them or will it make a difference to my 7.2.4. set up. There's quite a difference in price.

What about other brands like Onyx or Pioneer?
The Atmos channels are configured with the Denon and the Monolith external amps would have nothing to do with Atmos. They would only drive your three main front speakers. You should be able to assign the AVR's front left and right power amps to the Atmos channels.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
The Atmos channels are configured with the Denon and the Monolith external amps would have nothing to do with Atmos. They would only drive your three main front speakers. You should be able to assign the AVR's front left and right power amps to the Atmos channels.
Got it. For 7.2.4 system, you recommend Denon 9.2 channels receiver (X4500H or X3600H) + Monoprice Monolith 3X or I can buy Denon X6500H which is 11.2 channels. I guess Denonx6500H which I can get for ~1700 will be cheaper than buying Denon 9.2 channel + Monoprice Monolith 3x unless I have a cheaper option that I can add to Denon X4500H. And if I wait a month or so, I may get Denon X6500H even cheaper with newer models coming out?!

If I buy Denon X6500H for 7.2.4. set up, I don't need any other amplifier? It alone should do the job?

Any other decent 11.2 channels speakers in 1000-1500 price range? Thanks

Last edited:
vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Got it. For 7.2.4 system, you recommend Denon 9.2 channels receiver (X4500H or X3600H) + Monoprice Monolith 3X or I can buy Denon X6500H which is 11.2 channels. I guess Denonx6500H which I can get for ~1700 will be cheaper than buying Denon 9.2 channel + Monoprice Monolith 3x unless I have a cheaper option that I can add to Denon X4500H. And if I wait a month or so, I may get Denon X6500H even cheaper with newer models coming out?!

If I buy Denon X6500H for 7.2.4. set up, I don't need any other amplifier? It alone should do the job?

Any other decent 11.2 channels speakers in 1000-1500 price range? Thanks
Denon X3600H FTW

FYI don't sleep on Power Sound Audio for Speakers and Subs... They still have their pre order for their Ported 18inch sub..12hz port tune, the TV1812 only $1649.

TV18 / TV18ipal thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3132340

Also check out Chane's new 700 series. They will drop any week now.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Thanks for the reply.

I may be able to those revel speakers for around 5200 so thought that's a good deal.

I don't have a room above ceiling for media room. I am thinking of rock wool insulation for media room? Do people do insulation for media room? How important is it?

Thanks for the reply. If new Denon receiver is coming out in month does that mean, x6500H will go on sale? I may be able to get a better price on it?

At what discount this Revel speakers package is good deal and worth going for 7.2.4 instead of 5.2.4? 30%, 40%, or 50% of msrp?

What would be decent budget (not too expensive) for speakers? 3k or 4K or 5K for suggested brands in the replies?

I will skip klipsch subwoofers and look into others as suggested in the replies. My budget is 900-1000 for 2 subwoofers.
I'm sure the x6500h will go on sale. But check out the new AVRs. Denon is going to be pushing out some cool new features that you might interested in. New HDMI 2.1, 8k, etc...

I would say 50% off would be a great deal! Haha. Are you in the USA or another country? For in-walls, if you can find something around the $1k/per speaker, you'll be in good hands. B&W, KEF, Martin Logan, Paradigm, RBH. Just to name a few.

Yeah, stay away from Klipsch subs. They are not that great. I think you can get two SVS PB2000's for $1200. That would be a better option.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I'm sure the x6500h will go on sale. But check out the new AVRs. Denon is going to be pushing out some cool new features that you might interested in. New HDMI 2.1, 8k, etc...

I would say 50% off would be a great deal! Haha. Are you in the USA or another country? For in-walls, if you can find something around the $1k/per speaker, you'll be in good hands. B&W, KEF, Martin Logan, Paradigm, RBH. Just to name a few.

Yeah, stay away from Klipsch subs. They are not that great. I think you can get two SVS PB2000's for $1200. That would be a better option.
Are these subwoofers in wall like the one you suggested SVS PB2000's?

For in-walls, if you can find something around the $1k/per speaker - does that mean just 3 front speakers or 3 front, 4 in wall surround and 4 in ceiling atoms?

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
What size wires should I use for media room revel speakers for pre wiring?

I was suggested:

The coax, Cat6 and speaker wire is manufactured by Belden.
The coax is shielded RG6.
The cat6 is 4pair twisted wire.
The speaker wire is 16 gauge, oxygen free, 65 strand copper.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Are these subwoofers in wall like the one you suggested SVS PB2000's?

For in-walls, if you can find something around the $1k/per speaker - does that mean just 3 front speakers or 3 front, 4 in wall surround and 4 in ceiling atoms?
The subs I listed are not in-wall subs. Regular floor subwoofers.

The $1k price point would just be for the LCR. I wouldn't spend too much on your ceiling/surrounds since those are just used for sound effects. I'd say $200-$400/each for surrounds/atmos speakers is good.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
What size wires should I use for media room revel speakers for pre wiring?

I was suggested:

The coax, Cat6 and speaker wire is manufactured by Belden.
The coax is shielded RG6.
The cat6 is 4pair twisted wire.
The speaker wire is 16 gauge, oxygen free, 65 strand copper.
12-14awg. Check out BlueJeans cables. Great cables for really good prices.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t know of any good subs that are in-wall. I would expect the prices might be high for a good performing in-wall subwoofer. Maybe @shadyJ has ideas. Is in-wall important to you? If so, maybe you can reconsider this requirement or increase your budget.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don’t know of any good subs that are in-wall. I would expect the prices might be high for a good performing in-wall subwoofer. Maybe @shadyJ has ideas. Is in-wall important to you? If so, maybe you can reconsider this requirement or increase your budget.
If I had to have an in-wall sub, I would be looking at the RBH Signature in-wall subs. JL Audio also has an in-wall sub that doesn't look terrible.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think Gene has a couple of those RBH SI-10 in-wall subs.

Paradigmdawg and I have those RBH SI-1010 in-ceiling subs.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think Gene has a couple of those RBH SI-10 in-wall subs.

Paradigmdawg and I have those RBH SI-1010 in-ceiling subs.
What’s the street price on the in-wall models? (Think you are a dealer for RBH)

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
If everything else is in wall (speakers) then where will I place sub woofers which are not in wall?

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If everything else is in wall (speakers) then where will I place sub woofers which are not in wall?
I’m not sure about in-wall sub setups, but on floor subs have to be placed in the best places on the floor for that particular room. Each room is unique. I’m not sure if you are familiar with the “sub crawl”?

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I’m not sure about in-wall sub setups, but on floor subs have to be placed in the best places on the floor for that particular room. Each room is unique. I’m not sure if you are familiar with the “sub crawl”?
I am not familiar with "sub crawl". But if all the speakers are in wall and in ceiling, won't sub woofers look odd on the floor?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis