Which speakers to choose? Help me build media room.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I am building media room 15' 10" x 19' deep x 10' ceiling. No windows. Media room is above the living room.
Riser at the back wall 15' 10" and 6 feet deep for sofa and another sofa will be in front of riser. So viewing distance will be ~10' - 11' for front row.

My total budget is 10-12K

I am keeping $4000 for projector? Should I but 4K or 1080p projector? Which brand and model?

$1500 for screen. Which screen to buy? Screen innovations zero edge? I have been told with my viewing distance I will see perforations in ATS screen so I should avoid it.

$1200 for labor and installation. I can buy on my own and get it installed by the guy who is doing prewiring for media room

Which brand and model no speakers and subwoofer to choose? Should I choose 5 or 7 channel configuration - 7.2.2. or 7.2.4 dolby atmos.
In wall and in ceiling (cleaner look) vs floor standing.
What color should I paint ceiling and walls?

I am also thinking of sound insulation for media room so that sound does not travel through the attic. However rock wool insulation is quite expensive at $4,000

I will also need help with in ceiling speakers for master bedroom (1 pair), living room with kitchen (3 pairs), family room (5.1) and patio (2 pairs). My budget for 1 pair speakers is between $200-330

I am open to all the ideas.

Would appreciate the help.

Last edited:
M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I am building media room 15' 10" x 19' deep x 10' ceiling. No windows. Media room is above the living room.
Riser at the back wall 15' 10" and 6 feet deep for sofa and another sofa will be in front of riser. So viewing distance will be ~10' - 11' for front row.

My total budget is 10-12K

I am keeping $4000 for projector? Should I but 4K or 1080p projector? Which brand and model?

$1500 for screen. Which screen to buy? Screen innovations zero edge? I have been told with my viewing distance I will see perforations in ATS screen so I should avoid it.

$1200 for labor and installation. I can buy on my own and get it installed by the guy who is doing prewiring for media room

Which brand and model no speakers and subwoofer to choose? Should I choose 5 or 7 channel configuration - 7.2.2. or 7.2.4 dolby atmos.
In wall and in ceiling (cleaner look) vs floor standing.
What color should I paint ceiling and walls?

I am also thinking of sound insulation for media room so that sound does not travel through the attic. However rock wool insulation is quite expensive at $4,000

I will also need help with in ceiling speakers for master bedroom (1 pair), living room with kitchen (3 pairs), family room (5.1) and patio (2 pairs). My budget for 1 pair speakers is between $200-330

I am open to all the ideas.

Would appreciate the help.
For projector, with your budget you can get a true 4k projector. Look at the Sony 295 or JVC NX5.

You only need an AT screen if you are going to put your speakers behind the screen, if not, don't bother purchasing one. Do you want 16:9 or 2.35? if you watch a lot of TV, sports or streaming, 16:9 is the way to go, if this is strictly for movies, then go 2.35. SI screens are very nice, but you don't need to spend that much. You should cut that budget in half and put more money into your speakers and subwoofer.

Checkout SVS, HSU or other online only subwoofer makers. They all have great trial periods if something doesn't fit your needs.

For speakers, are you looking for towers, bookshelfs or in-walls? I'd start with 5.1 and work your way up if you need to. If you are pre-wiring now, then go with the 5.1.2/4 or 7.1.2/4, but if Atmos is something you can do later, just try a 5.1 right now and see how it sounds. $10/$12k is a decent budget, but since you're putting a nice chunk into a projector that budget gets real small, real quick.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Might as well buy your own wires also since most installers will use the cheapest smallest wires and probably overcharge for wires that you can't see since they are mostly in-walls.

That's a nice budget for sure.

We can only say what we would get for OURSELVES because YMMV.

On Projectors:

I have both the JVC NX5 (RS1000) and NZ3 in my HT room.

Overall, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the PQ of the NX5/RS1000 is superior to the NZ3, Epson 6050, and Sony 295.

I've posted a few times on the JVC Owner's thread that the NZ3 has pros and cons, which some people might dislike. But if the NZ3 can last 20 years without requiring any lamp replacement and without any significant dimming of the laser light like they say, the NZ3 would be my favorite PJ for the price. :D

Another very awesome PJ is the JVC RS540 if you can get them since they are discontinued. The RS540 is very popular since it is on clearance. Although the RS540 is 4K-eShift and not "true 4K" like the NX5, many enthusiasts still prefer the RS540 over the NX5 or at least consider it "equal" in PQ.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On screens - personally, I would just get a nice 120" simple fixed widescreen screen for around $400.

I would spend the money on the PJ, not much on the screen - personally. :D

I think my 150" Elite screen was around $500 when I bought it 3 years ago.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On speakers - again, everyone has their own favorite brands of speakers. So you will see many recommendations.

I would focus on the popular brands that are known for accuracy and good dynamics (ability to play loud with less distortion, not that you would normally play at deafening volume or anything).

And focus on speakers that you can get good prices since most of us have a budget.

Personally, I like to keep all the speakers in my house the same brand (ceiling speakers, standalone box speakers, etc.), but everyone is different and don't care about that. :D

In general I prefer accurate speakers with big drivers since that often means they are more sensitive and dynamic and can also handle more power.

For ceiling speakers, I prefer 8" aluminum woofers and 1" aluminum tweeter.

Some speakers may not "require" additional subwoofers since they already have subwoofers. There are pros and cons to them, just like everything else. But Gene's new Reference RBH SVTRS have subwoofers and he can attest that the bass sounds pretty awesome. :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On AVR - I would just get a flagship AVR like the Yamaha RX-A3080 and do Atmos 5.1.4 for a 16x19x10 room.

My HT room is 22x26x14 ceiling and I have a 5.1.4 system.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I am considering this for 7.2.4 for media room

Front 3 L/C/R: Revel W990

4 of ATMOS Ceiling: Revel C583

4 of Surround: Revel W383

2 of Subwoofer: Klipsch SPL-120

Receiver: Denon AVR-X6500H

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The speakers and AVR look good, but you could do better in subwoofage, especially if you are in the USA.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Which subwoofer to choose?
I would be looking at Outlaw Audio, Hsu Research, SVS, Paradigm Defiance, Monoprice Monolith, or if your budget can accommodate them, JTR subs. Subs from any of those manufacturers will smoke the Klipsch subs.

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
2 HSU VTF 2 subwoofers would work very good in that size room.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
Do you mean HSU VTF 2 MK5?

Any other recommendations for subwoofer? Any thing in SVS as they have sale online?

What about screen 120" - screen innovations, dragon fly, severtson screen? How much of a difference does screen make to spend that money on it?

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I am considering this for 7.2.4 for media room which is 16" wide, 19' long and 10' ceiling

I can do 5.2.4. and use Denon AVR-X4500H if there is not much difference between 7.2.4. vs 5.2.4? Any one has any recommendations with this size room?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I am considering this for 7.2.4 for media room which is 16" wide, 19' long and 10' ceiling

I can do 5.2.4. and use Denon AVR-X4500H if there is not much difference between 7.2.4. vs 5.2.4? Any one has any recommendations with this size room?
That’s not a huge space. A 75in 4K TV would free up your budget. Projectors that are 4K will take up budget that should go to the speakers.

I would expect there are cheaper insulation options for the ceiling too. Is there a bedroom above? You probably can find something good but not expensive when/if it’s an issue.

I would personally also want the main speakers and center not in the walls. Pay special attention to the quality of the center speaker which is 80% of movie tracks and the main left right for 2ch music listening. You can go cheaper on the surrounds and ceiling speakers.

Klipsch is not a good choice for subs. Well designed subs will take your system to the next level. Look for a pair of HSU ported 12 VTF series or Monoprice Monolith ported 12 THX or SVS ported 12in PB or PC2000.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

I don't know why you are getting good speakers and AVR but cheaping out on the sub. Get a better sub for heaven's sake!

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

I would skip on those Revel W990's. They are way over priced. I would check out the KEF Ci3160RL's, B&W 7.3 S2, Martin Logan, Focal or RBH in-walls. I agree with ShadyJ, if you're going to spend major on the LCR, don't skimp out on the subs. Klipsch subs are terrible. Snag yourself some SVS PB3000's. Will be 10x better than those Klipsch's.

Also, I would hold off on that Denon receiver. Brand new one's are coming out this month. Will offer all the latest stuff. Their x6700h Will be the one to get.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I would skip on the 7ch bed. IMO you should have 5’-6’ behind the LP for 7ch to work. In a 19’ long room I doubt your gonna move the LP forward enough to accommodate that.
So I’d do 5.2.4. Look at the SVS outlet. PB/PC2000 are on sale for 699. A dual drive from HSU might be a better deal but SVS offers free shipping both ways.

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
That’s not a huge space. A 75in 4K TV would free up your budget. Projectors that are 4K will take up budget that should go to the speakers.

I would expect there are cheaper insulation options for the ceiling too. Is there a bedroom above? You probably can find something good but not expensive when/if it’s an issue.

I would personally also want the main speakers and center not in the walls. Pay special attention to the quality of the center speaker which is 80% of movie tracks and the main left right for 2ch music listening. You can go cheaper on the surrounds and ceiling speakers.

Klipsch is not a good choice for subs. Well designed subs will take your system to the next level. Look for a pair of HSU ported 12 VTF series or Monoprice Monolith ported 12 THX or SVS ported 12in PB or PC2000.

Thanks for the reply.

I may be able to those revel speakers for around 5200 so thought that's a good deal.

I don't have a room above ceiling for media room. I am thinking of rock wool insulation for media room? Do people do insulation for media room? How important is it?

I would skip on those Revel W990's. They are way over priced. I would check out the KEF Ci3160RL's, B&W 7.3 S2, Martin Logan, Focal or RBH in-walls. I agree with ShadyJ, if you're going to spend major on the LCR, don't skimp out on the subs. Klipsch subs are terrible. Snag yourself some SVS PB3000's. Will be 10x better than those Klipsch's.

Also, I would hold off on that Denon receiver. Brand new one's are coming out this month. Will offer all the latest stuff. Their x6700h Will be the one to get.
Thanks for the reply. If new Denon receiver is coming out in month does that mean, x6500H will go on sale? I may be able to get a better price on it?

At what discount this Revel speakers package is good deal and worth going for 7.2.4 instead of 5.2.4? 30%, 40%, or 50% of msrp?

What would be decent budget (not too expensive) for speakers? 3k or 4K or 5K for suggested brands in the replies?

I will skip klipsch subwoofers and look into others as suggested in the replies. My budget is 900-1000 for 2 subwoofers.

Last edited:
M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic
I would skip on the 7ch bed. IMO you should have 5’-6’ behind the LP for 7ch to work. In a 19’ long room I doubt your gonna move the LP forward enough to accommodate that.
So I’d do 5.2.4. Look at the SVS outlet. PB/PC2000 are on sale for 699. A dual drive from HSU might be a better deal but SVS offers free shipping both ways.
Thanks for the reply.

A dual drive from HSU might be a better deal - which model do you recommend? Can I get them for 800-1000 total for 2/dual drive?!

M

mediabroom

Junior Audioholic

Look for a pair of HSU ported 12 VTF series or Monoprice Monolith ported 12 THX or SVS ported 12in PB or PC2000. ----- Are these in wall subwoofers? My budget is 800-1000

I am looking for Denon AVR-X6500H? But I am open to other receivers if they are cheaper than this one and still do the job. Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis