Which Speaker to Choose?

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Just ran across this. I am on here today for the same reason checking on speakers. You are looking for a bit more speaker than I am. Let me link you to 2 pretty well reviewed speakers currently on sale for less than half price. These are really good speakers for this sale price. Not to mention if you like the old Infinity stuff I think you would dig these. A good bit more refined and party animals.

Studio 580

Studio 590

You can find a ton of reviews on these. They are liked pretty well and JBL keeps bringing them back. Again excellent buys at this sale price.
I've considered these but, controversial looks aside, the 590 towers are big. Too wide and too tall for my space I think.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If the Infinity's sound is what you love, maybe you should consider having the crossovers rebuilt and doing some cabinet mods. If they are over 20 years old there will be a night and day difference in sound quality. Especially if you use quality caps and resistors.
Have you listened to the IL series speakers? Age aside, they're actually very good. I wouldn't go rebuilding crossovers and modding cabs. Particularly when aesthetics is the main reason for replacing them.

The JBL Studio 5 series is also quite good, but I'd suspect a lateral move and likely not aesthetically pleasing for this case.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Have you listened to the IL series speakers? Age aside, they're actually very good. I wouldn't go rebuilding crossovers and modding cabs. Particularly when aesthetics is the main reason for replacing them.

The JBL Studio 5 series is also quite good, but I'd suspect a lateral move and likely not aesthetically pleasing for this case.
are-you-wizard.jpg

S

Sadie42

Audioholic Intern
Depends on what is in them. An axial wound Mylar or Polypropylene will last a lot longer than 20 years. Electrolytic caps should be yanked.

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
I've considered these but, controversial looks aside, the 590 towers are big. Too wide and too tall for my space I think.
Just thought I would mention them since what you liked and the fact I knew they had them on sale and they are really are a great deal at the sale price. Hope you find something that will make you happy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So @cbecker33, whatcha gonna do with your current speakers once you get the new ones? I've kinda been looking for a pair of IL40s, you live anywhere close to Phoenix, AZ? :p

At this point I think we've gone over quite a few options and you seem to be having difficulties settling on something. As far as I can tell the Paradigms are the frontrunners still. I don't know what else we're gonna find that's going to fit your somewhat restrictive criteria. Might be time to just pull the trigger...

Have you been looking through local ads like Craigslist for deals? If you're diligent and live in a populous area you can find some good deals. They're definitely out there. You can always run any finds by us and we can help you sort the wheat from the chaff.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
So @cbecker33, whatcha gonna do with your current speakers once you get the new ones? I've kinda been looking for a pair of IL40s, you live anywhere close to Phoenix, AZ? :p
I haven't even thought about it. Sadly, no, I am in StL. Happy to ship, though ;)

At this point I think we've gone over quite a few options and you seem to be having difficulties settling on something. As far as I can tell the Paradigms are the frontrunners still. I don't know what else we're gonna find that's going to fit your somewhat restrictive criteria. Might be time to just pull the trigger...
Yup. Paradigms are the frontrunners. Prime Pinnacle are somewhere in the running, too. I've been happy with my SB3000s.

Have you been looking through local ads like Craigslist for deals? If you're diligent and live in a populous area you can find some good deals. They're definitely out there. You can always run any finds by us and we can help you sort the wheat from the chaff.
I have been. I was working on a deal for some 800Fs, but we could not agree on price. I'll be sure to bounce anything I see of those of you smarter than I.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
With the release of the Reserve series from Polk it has me wondering if that might be worth a look compared to the Paradigm Premier series. Does anyone have any thoughts one vs. the other?

Paradigm Premier
Fronts: 800F ($2k)​
Center: 600C ($1k)​
Rears: 200B ($1K)​
Total: $4k​
ESPRESSO-GRAIN-PREMIER-SERIES-LINEUP.jpg

Polk Reserve
Fronts: R700 ($2k)​
Center: R400 ($600)​
Rears: R200 ($700)​
Total: $3300​
Polk_Reserve_Family_Black_Studio_030.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Personally, I would go for the Premiers if only for the great 3-way centers that they have. I imagine that the rest of the Reserve speakers would be able to keep up pretty well with the Premier speakers, however. In fact, I would bet that the Reserve bookshelf speakers would be better than the Premier bookshelf speaker.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Personally, I would go for the Premiers if only for the great 3-way centers that they have. I imagine that the rest of the Reserve speakers would be able to keep up pretty well with the Premier speakers, however. In fact, I would bet that the Reserve bookshelf speakers would be better than the Premier bookshelf speaker.
What do you like better about the Reserve books that might make them the better speaker? Just curious what you're thinking about. I also agree about the Premier having the better designed center channel.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What do you like better about the Reserve books that might make them the better speaker? Just curious what you're thinking about. I also agree about the Premier having the better designed center channel.
It's not that I think the Reserves are so much better but rather the Premier 100B's measured performance was pretty disappointing. I don't know how the Reserves will be, really, but I think they will be better than that.

robladw

robladw

Audioholic
With the release of the Reserve series from Polk it has me wondering if that might be worth a look compared to the Paradigm Premier series. Does anyone have any thoughts one vs. the other?

Paradigm Premier
Fronts: 800F ($2k)​
Center: 600C ($1k)​
Rears: 200B ($1K)​
Total: $4k​

Polk Reserve
Fronts: R700 ($2k)​
Center: R400 ($600)​
Rears: R200 ($700)​
Total: $3300​
I have the reserve R200s. Have them paired with a Yamaha 1200 amp. Coming off a pair of JBL 530s and crown amp these things are pretty neutral and flat. I can not tell if they are have just a touch of warmth or it is just the bass is very good. These may be the most complete speaker I have ever heard. They are fun and energetic. While you could say so and so is better at ______ there is about 5 other categories they will not compare. These speakers do so much so well they are just a joy to listen to. Yes they blow the JBLs out of the water. Yeah but the JBLs have better dynamics. Yeah but they lack the bass are thin in the mids. Are a bit too forward for me. That horn sounds like a horn "sometimes". Polk knocked it out of the park with these speakers. These things have the best sounding top end I have heard. They provide tons of detail without being boosted or in your face. Why more speakers do not use this type of tweeter is beyond me.. Some of the best soundstage and imaging I have heard on a speaker. Center is locked in granite on these. Sorry this is the best 700.00 I have ever spent on audio. Not enough that I can say about these speakers.

Last edited:
cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Personally, I would go for the Premiers if only for the great 3-way centers that they have....
....I also agree about the Premier having the better designed center channel.
It's a shame Polk did not offer a better center. I remember watching one of the videos in which they mentioned that the upgrade is to the L400. But, at $1800, that is quite the jump in price (+$1200).

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
It's not that I think the Reserves are so much better but rather the Premier 100B's measured performance was pretty disappointing. I don't know how the Reserves will be, really, but I think they will be better than that.
... I don't think I saw those measurements before, or I forgot. But yeah, that's pretty disappointing for the range.
Eesh - it's never a clear cut winner? Perhaps the 200Bs are better? Or, for the slight bump in cost (speakers + stands), I can just throw the 700Fs back there?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Eesh - it's never a clear cut winner? Perhaps the 200Bs are better? Or, for the slight bump in cost (speakers + stands), I can just throw the 700Fs back there?
It's a bit odd that the 100Bs were a bit goofy whereas the 800F and 500C were so darn good. I would guess that the 700Fs are probably similar to the 800Fs, and I would consider that a safe bet. I really can't say about the 200Bs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis