Which Plasma 50" TV?

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
LCD (LED or not) based displays have advanced significantly. But plasma still looks better under low light conditions, and viewing angle of LCD is still a downside.
Black level on the best LCD-LED can match or beat some plasma, but not without some side effects. There's always compromises and price is one them.

N

NakaMitch

Audioholic Intern
Well, ranking 50" plasmas is pretty easy, IMO.

The Pioneer Elite Kuro plasmas are at the top, but the PRO-111FD and PRO-101FD are out of your price range and not likely to ever get that low before they are all gone.

The Pioneer KRP-500M monitor (no TV tuner, no stand, no speakers) is lower in price, but still above your price range and disappearing fast.

The Pioneer PDP-5020FD gives up a bit in terms of color accuracy, but is still excellent. Still above your price range though and discontinued, just like all the other Kuro, sadly :(

Next, the Panasonic V10 series picks up the mantle. A very small step down from the Pioneers in black level performance. The biggest step down is black level retention in lighting (the Panny's wash out a bit and look a bit dull and grey in room lighting) and the Panny screen is more reflective as well.

Don't take those comments out of context though - we are talking about SMALL differences and the V10 Panny plasmas are excellent! The TC-P50V10 is above your price range right now, but it might drop within range by Black Friday, so keep it on your radar!

The G10 series takes a small hit in color accuracy, but it's still the black level champ of the more affordable plasmas. That said, the Samsung plasmas have excellent color accuracy and their black levels are only a very small step down. The biggest issue for the Samsung plasmas, IMO, is their rather reflective screen. Your own reflection is quite visible in normal room lighting if you're looking at a dark scene. Seeing reflections bothers me a lot. This is something you should really see in person. Just turn off the TV at a local store and take a gander at how visible your own reflection is in the screen surface!

So your choice is going to depend upon your room lighting IMO. In a dim room, I would personally probably go for a Samsung over the Panny G10 because I prefer the more accurate colors of the Samsung and the hit to black level performance isn't something you'd notice without a side-by-side comparison.

With room lighting, the Panny does wash out a little, but it's screen is less reflective and that's a bigger deal to me.

If the V10 is within reach though, that's the one to go for, regardless.

Good luck!

^ this very good :rolleyes:

F

finishers

Junior Audioholic
LCD (LED or not) based displays have advanced significantly. But plasma still looks better under low light conditions, and viewing angle of LCD is still a downside.
Black level on the best LCD-LED can match or beat some plasma, but not without some side effects. There's always compromises and price is one them.
Yap agree with you angel viewing is very bad. LCD are meant to watch striaght :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: are they???

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Yap agree with you angel viewing is very bad. LCD are meant to watch striaght :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: are they???
Of course that depends on your individual setup as whether it's a problem or not, but there are studies that show color accuracy, not only brightness, fall off rapidly as one moves to the side, compared with plasma.
Some displays are worse than others, of course.

http://www.displaymate.com/LCD_Plasma_ShootOut.htm

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

Keep in mind when considering Samsung plasmas that they are more prone to image retention than the Panasonic. They are also not quite as reliable.

Panny's are near bulletproof in this area. I saw some 4-5+ year old sets in a bar the other day put in by a local retailer. Not even the smallest glimpse of IR or burn in and they run ESPN non-stop. :)

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Keep in mind when considering Samsung plasmas that they are more prone to image retention than the Panasonic. They are also not quite as reliable.

Panny's are near bulletproof in this area. I saw some 4-5+ year old sets in a bar the other day put in by a local retailer. Not even the smallest glimpse of IR or burn in and they run ESPN non-stop. :)
This is true, and LG is even worse. I have a Samsung plasma, last year's A650 and from what I read about the latest models, IR may even be worse, as well as complaints about 'buzzing'.
My own has been stellar with no pink screens, buzzing, or what I would call excessive IR. Although, I am not into gaming.
I had it professionally calibrated just a year ago, and it has been a wonderful display. Kuro was out of my budget last year, and the Panasonics could not be calibrated as well.
If I were shopping today my first choice would be Pioneer KRP-500 and a Panasonic as a 2nd choice. Obviously, Samsung is putting more money into their LCDs than their plasmas. Too bad, but it's probably paying off for them.

R

rekced

Audioholic
But, the Samsung plasma of today already uses 2,073,600 individually dim-able regions.

:p

Maybe one day everyone will understand the tech.
:)
If people really understood that, or anything about real picture quality, LCD televisions sales (LED and florescent based) would diminish. That's not even mentioning contrast ratio, viewing angle, pixel response or black level uniformity.

That's a sad way to describe plasma technology: A higher quality picture for a lower price actually losing sales because of misinformation.

Last edited:
R

rekced

Audioholic
Kind of, unless you buy an LCD with an IPS panel. Panasonic says they're going to be releasing some big screen IPS LCDs with local dimming LEDs sometime in the near future. I don't know why they bother with the high quality nonsense, they should partner up with Vizio before it's too late. The average consumer will not understand or care about the superior technology of these sets when they're standing on the bright sales floor, so why bother? Panasonic tries way too hard.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Kind of, unless you buy an LCD with an IPS panel. Panasonic says they're going to be releasing some big screen IPS LCDs with local dimming LEDs sometime in the near future. I don't know why they bother with the high quality nonsense, they should partner up with Vizio before it's too late. The average consumer will not understand or care about the superior technology of these sets when they're standing on the bright sales floor, so why bother? Panasonic tries way too hard.

I think you are right to a degree, most people don't understand or care about the technical jargon or the significance of it.

One thing Panasonic does offer is the best reliability, and that is something most people can understand.

But I can not see any logical reason for them to team up with Vizio, of course it could be a plus for Vizio.

Panasonic does produce a fair number of 'commercial' displays, (as did Sony and NEC) and has a solid reputation in that market.
They should not change anything IMO.

I get tired of hearing about salespeople selling folks on features or technology they know nothing about. Anybody who holds down a steady job, and has the money to spend on HDTV can afford the 'free' education offered on the internet and elsewhere to learn on their own what the jargon means and make an educated decision. Everyone has the opportunity, so people feeling they are getting ripped by stores because of technical misinformation do not get my sympathy.
The same goes for buying a refrigerator or a car, etc. etc.
Sorry, did not mean to get carried away..just my rant for the day! :)

Last edited:
R

rekced

Audioholic
I think you are right to a degree, most people don't understand or care about the technical jargon or the significance of it.

One thing Panasonic does offer is the best reliability, and that is something most people can understand.

But I can not see any logical reason for them to team up with Vizio, of course it could be a plus for Vizio.

Panasonic does produce a fair number of 'commercial' displays, (as did Sony and NEC) and has a solid reputation in that market.
They should not change anything IMO.

I get tired of hearing about salespeople selling folks on features or technology they know nothing about. Anybody who holds down a steady job, and has the money to spend on HDTV can afford the 'free' education offered on the internet and elsewhere to learn on their own what the jargon means and make an educated decision. Everyone has the opportunity, so people feeling they are getting ripped by stores because of technical misinformation do not get my sympathy.
The same goes for buying a refrigerator or a car, etc. etc.
Sorry, did not mean to get carried away..just my rant for the day! :)
I don't feel pity towards consumers who buy inferior displays because they listen to uninformed salesman either. My issue is that the superior technology is a much smaller market now with less competition because the myths surrounding plasmas displays keeps being spread. The driving force that makes prices what they are based around consumers who want a good long lasting TV with a good picture, yet they want absolutely nothing to do with plasma. This discourages research, technological improvements and price reductions that come with increased competition on plasma sets.

With LCD being only a computer monitor/cell phone/iPod display technology, we'd probably have Kuro-level quality for the price of entry-level 720P Panasonic plasmas by now. There would be more companies making them, competing and constantly finding new ways to offer improvements. Instead we have companies making the majority of displays that people think they want instead of something that's truly better quality in a real living room. What a waste of resources!

Of course, decent plasmas are still a bargain compared to gimmick-filled LCDs and that is something to be grateful for.

dapack69

dapack69

Senior Audioholic
I own a Samsung 50b540 for about two weeks now and IR stays on the set for an average of 5 mins, up to 20 if I leave the same thing displayed for longer than 5 hours. I only paid $850 for this TV or I would have gone with Panasonic though.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Of course, decent plasmas are still a bargain compared to gimmick-filled LCDs and that is something to be grateful for.
I agree, and any of the top 3 should keep folks happy for a very long time and they are a better value also.
The margin is closing in, Panasonic will probably be at the 'Kuro' level by this time next year. Unless a new technology is unleashed on us.
Mass marketing does squelch a lot of better technology. But I think it just slows it down, does not stop it.

Last edited:
W

waxey

Junior Audioholic
I had same problem

Went with Panny V10 has a few more features then G10. One whitch is nice is 24p 60hz or 96hz for flicker on some bds. also has lots of picture ajustments. It also has a swivel stand whitch Best Buy did not know about even when they delivered it. Read review on cnet its very helpful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis