Which movies will harm subwoofer?

M

mvp

Junior Audioholic
Hi Audioholics, now that I have a real subwoofer (SVS PB 3000) I want to make sure I am careful and do not harm it from movies I watch that have prolonged low frequency signals. I heard that there are some movies out that that can harm a sub. I was told by SVS that the begining of the movie "Edge of Tomorrow" will do damage to a sub. What other movies do I need to watch out for and not play on my audio system? I am scared I will damage my precious sub. Please help and let me know what I need to avoid.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi Audioholics, now that I have a real subwoofer (SVS PB 3000) I want to make sure I am careful and do not harm it from movies I watch that have prolonged low frequency signals. I heard that there are some movies out that that can harm a sub. I was told by SVS that the begining of the movie "Edge of Tomorrow" will do damage to a sub. What other movies do I need to watch out for and not play on my audio system? I am scared I will damage my precious sub. Please help and let me know what I need to avoid.
You can't really harm most modern subs with any content. SVS subs are especially well-protected. You can wear them down by blasting them all the time, but there isn't really any signal that you can drive to any halfway decent sub that will destroy it. Older subs could be over-driven because their limiters were not as strong as modern DSP systems. Go ahead and blast Edge of Tomorrow with your PB-3000, it will not hurt it.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
I absolutely smash all movies on my pb2000. Don't worry about it. The limiters do a fine job, trust me I've tested

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Ambulance will give your subwoofer a hell of a workout. My chest actually got a little sore after watching that movie and all I had was a svs pb 1000 pro.

I don't believe nor have I seen any evidence that playing content will damage a subwoofer.

Can't wait for when edge of tomorrow comes out on uhd blu-ray disk and will try it out with my subwoofer, I hear it's the most insane bass out there!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Set your levels properly and don't drive the system too hard. That will generally prevent speaker damage. If you need the system to achieve life-like SPL or hit the same level as a commercial movie theater, you need to accept the fact that a consumer-grade system with a relatively low budget isn't gonna get you there.

Also, if you aren't aware, high SPL kills your hearing.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
The deepest most consistent bass I've heard through an entire movie is in that new Dune movie that came out last year. Just insane from beginning to end. And that was with lossy audio via streaming. I can't imagine what it will be like on 4K UHD disk.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The deepest most consistent bass I've heard through an entire movie is in that new Dune movie that came out last year. Just insane from beginning to end. And that was with lossy audio via streaming. I can't imagine what it will be like on 4K UHD disk.
The bass on the disc was INSANE!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis