Which - Klipsch RP-150M or RP-280F

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I would describe the reference premiere series sound as mostly neutral and extremely revealing, with a bit extra air in the highs, but not unpleasant in the least, with a dynamic range that will knock you over, from their excellent "microdynamics", such as the tiniest change in volume between cymbal strikes, to the over the top crescendo of a symphony or loud explosion in a movie, they hold nothing back, lacking any sort of compression or distortion. From experience, I can say that I've been able to achieve distortion free reference level playback of movies (105dB peak) in a 2000cu ft room seated 12' away, and that's just from their 6.5" rp-160m bookshelves. The dynamics are just as hard hitting as you'd get in a cinema, which is the main reason I like them.

Another benefit from the horns is a relatively uniform dispersion pattern, this not only helps keep the room from strongly interacting by not spraying sound all over the walls/ceiling, but this also means the sound characteristic doesn't change off axis, or sitting vs standing. The response is the same, vs the typical steep HF drop off. See the attached off axis measurements of the rp-150m. As for what this does to the Soundstage it makes it rather direct and discrete sounding.

They're definitely not warm sounding at all, but if you really wanted a warm sound there's no reason you couldn't eq them warm.
I guess it's time to admit to you fellows (very embarrassed - with egg on my face) that I've never heard a Klipsch speaker. My loudspeaker Chronology is:
1. Bose 901s: long ago - before most of you were born. I never really liked their sound. They did fill the end of the room with sound but it was just sound but with no imaging or a real soundstage. But they cost a lot, for me at the time, and I kept them for several years.
2. Acoustic Research AR-9s: Those I loved and kept from 1982 until 2010. They were the flagship of AR products, back when AR was a force in the industry.They were huge 4-ways, at 5' tall and around 110#, with prodigious bass from 2 side-firing bass drivers that thrived on the power of my old used Adcom GFA-500 amp. I lived with, and loved, those monsters for nearly thirty years. In fact, when the new owner drove away with them in the back of a big SUV I thought, "What are you doing? Are you nuts?"
3. Ascend Sierras Ones: A very nice bookcase speaker but they never had a chance - their great neutral sound lacked what those AR9s had. Warmth! Yep - I know - those AR9s added a decided warmth to jazz and classical recordings that the Sierras lacked. In other words, I found I didn't like their accuracy (neutrality).
4. Martin Logan Motion 12s: In 2013 I sold the Ascends and bought the ML 12s for an astounding price of $400. More; I took them home, spent days breaking them in (still don't believe in break-in period),spent a couple days inching them into their perfect spot and was thrilled with their sound. In fact, today, I can find no reasonable explanation for wanting to try the Klipsch speakers.
Except: For years the legend that is Paul Klipsch and his speakers have intrigued me (and, of course, I now reside in his home state). The fingernails on the blackboard highs always kept me away (remember; I like warm speakers) but today that seems to have been eliminated. And last, the idea of an 8-ohm horn system, effortlessly playing Dvorak's 9th at concert hall levels is pulling me in the direction of Klipsch.
Could Klipsch remind me of my beloved AR9s? Probably not. Still, since I'm an admitted cheapskate and also can't afford anything over $1k, I've ordered a pair of RP-150Ms, just to get a taste of Klipsch. If I like them it's done - game over but if I find them a bit lacking in dynamics (?) I'll swallow my miserly ways and spring for the new RP-280s (those new copper rings around the drivers are sexy).
Anyway; if you've read this "essay" I admire your stamina and hope you can offer an alternative path.
Thanks to all! :confused:
Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Here is the larger 280f. I've also heard from those who've owned them, and they've never been described as bassy. https://hometheaterreview.com/assets_c/2015/09/Klipsch-group-FR-thumb-650xauto-14540.jpg[ /IMG]
I saw that test report. 1/6 octave smoothing in the bass is too information lossy to see anything interesting. I've never heard the 280, only the 260, and not in one of my rooms. The 260 sounds very similar to my own RF62ii pair, which is definitely not flat.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I saw that test report. 1/6 octave smoothing in the bass is too information lossy to see anything interesting. I've never heard the 280, only the 260, and not in one of my rooms. The 260 sounds very similar to my own RF62ii pair, which is definitely not flat.
Rf 62ii measurements look fairly flat to me, despite some extra treble.

The redesign of the horn on the premiere series has eliminated the harsh sound. Most measurements of the Premeire series, including my own, do show a very slight bump of 2dB in the treble from 1.5-10khz, but they otherwise the drivers measure extremely flat with a lack of any resonant peaks among their pass band. I have some measurements from Dennis Murphy to demonstrate this, however, I do not have his permission to share them.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Rf 62ii measurements look fairly flat to me, despite some extra treble.

The redesign of the horn on the premiere series has eliminated the harsh sound. Most measurements of the Premeire series, including my own, do show a very slight bump of 2dB in the treble from 1.5-10khz, but they otherwise the drivers measure extremely flat with a lack of any resonant peaks among their pass band. I have some measurements from Dennis Murphy to demonstrate this, however, I do not have his permission to share them.

I've measured the RF62ii, and they are not flat; they have a classic saddle-shaped response with a bass and upper midrange emphasis. I don't ever use them for music, they're too colored, but for HT use they never exhibit harshness. On the contrary, they are quite enjoyable for HT, and I consider them a remarkable bargain for $600/pair delivered.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis