Which dual subs to purchase??

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
lovinthehd
Go big or go home. Dual subs. Sure. Why go halfway to paradise?
The only downside is you need a forklift to move them. Minor inconvenience

Actually, now that I think about it some more, I remember that Jim Salk built some custom enclosures for some HS24 subs and these are them.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hey Buck, can you tell me anything about those subs? They look like commercial subs that use the SI HS24 driver, but the only commercial subs that I know of which use that driver are DSS subs, and those do not look like DSS.
As it turns out, yes I can. They are custom builds by Jim Salk. That is Mrs Mary Salk in the picture.
There is a thread on avs forum dedicated to Salk speakers, and they actually show the factory build on these as a work in progress. 350 to 400 pounds apiece when assembled. Jim says "flat to 5hz". Dunno about that, but all the movement passed a certain point in the build process is done with forklifts. They are real speakers, and yes, they use a 24 inch driver. Its the stuff audio dreams are made of. Or nightmares, depending on your creativity.

SALK 24" SUBWOOFERS ON AVSFORUM

just scroll down about halfway on that page and you'll come to the build process on the subs.
pretty freakin' awesome just to know they exist. For real.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
1) Room size is just over 2500 cu ft, so not huge.
2) The room has one opening to it, and it is a stairwell.
3) I'm not quite sure how to answer this. It's movie dependent. However, I have set them up with the recommendations from HSU in the one port open mode. Q setting at the lowest and volume at 9 o'clock. Which from 1-9 with 1 being lowest they are set at 3 for volume.
4) so with some movies that are heavy bass, I've noticed the sub dropping out and chuffing or whatever you guys call it. so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade.
5) maybe this answer is biased at what subs I had in mind, but the size of the VTF 15 MK 2 is probably the largest I could get away with before all hell breaks loose with the wife.

6) I watch TV and movies mostly. I'm not a gamer. I do amplify my guitar through it occasionally.

Also I use a lower end Denon receiver AVR-S920W
Hsu has more tuning versatility in their lower lines and since you are happy with them already, I don't see any reason to switch to SVS or any other brand.

If Hsu's published specs are consistently accurate across their entire line, I would think two of their VTF-2 MK 5's would do what you want as long as ~16hz at -2 is good enough. Depending on your trim setting in the receiver. You don't seem to need any more power (volume), just more depth.

Call Hsu and give them the info you gave me (us) and see if they agree.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
1) Room size is just over 2500 cu ft, so not huge.
2) The room has one opening to it, and it is a stairwell.
3) I'm not quite sure how to answer this. It's movie dependent. However, I have set them up with the recommendations from HSU in the one port open mode. Q setting at the lowest and volume at 9 o'clock. Which from 1-9 with 1 being lowest they are set at 3 for volume.
4) so with some movies that are heavy bass, I've noticed the sub dropping out and chuffing or whatever you guys call it. so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade.
5) maybe this answer is biased at what subs I had in mind, but the size of the VTF 15 MK 2 is probably the largest I could get away with before all hell breaks loose with the wife.

6) I watch TV and movies mostly. I'm not a gamer. I do amplify my guitar through it occasionally.

Also I use a lower end Denon receiver AVR-S920W
I have been using a VTF15h mk2 for the last few months, what a great sub. I also used a VTF-1 mk3 awhile ago, a great little sub, but in one port mode, it could be made to chuff with deep frequency content without being pushed tremendously hard. The VTF15h mk2 is a different league of sub altogether. Just a beast. The only problem with it is it is large and heavy. It is a 2 person job to move around. In terms of performance, the VTF15h mk2 is on average around 3 to 4 times as powerful than the VTF-1 mk3, and even more in deep bass frequencies at 25 Hz and below. The VTF15h mk2 also plays with lower distortion for the same SPL.

One thing I really liked about the VTF1 mk3 is it was easy to move around. A 1 person job! I could simply pick it up and move it without needing any help! A lot of the subs I have had are not like that at all!

Я

Яusty

Enthusiast
Got dual VTF3.5, and about a month later, my neighbor asks me if I got a new stereo system, hahaha. I probably should have opted for dual 12" model.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your responses. I looked into all of the suggested companies. Rythmik had impressive reviews on YouTube but I’m leaning towards HSU. The 2 HSU subs seem very close in performance. Is the VTF 15 Mk2 really worth the $200 and shipping costs over the VTF 3 MK5?
I was faced with this exact dilemma last year.

It largely depends on your room size...my space is roughly 2800 cu ft, but it is open to some other areas so I was thinking the larger sub. After talking with the sales guy in detail, sending pics of the HT space, etc......he said if you're going to balance it out and get two subs...definitely the VTF 3mk5 will be more than enough.

Without question he was right...in my these subs have incredible impact on movies and music and they barely break a sweat...they are bumped +3 or +4db at the pre/pro level, but I think I have Subwoofer gain knob slightly above the 9 o'clock position.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
J

joe teague

Enthusiast
So I went with the HSU VTF 15H MK2s. They are big. However, they fit and sound perfect in my man cave. I watched Star Wars VII this evening because we needed a refresher to see The Last Jedi at the Air and Space museum in IMAX this weekend. "Holy Crap" My pictures fell off the wall. Seriously!! Anyways, Love them. Great product! Thanks for all your responses!

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
So I went with the HSU VTF 15H MK2s. They are big. However, they fit and sound perfect in my man cave. I watched Star Wars VII this evening because we needed a refresher to see The Last Jedi at the Air and Space museum in IMAX this weekend. "Holy Crap" My pictures fell off the wall. Seriously!! Anyways, Love them. Great product! Thanks for all your responses!
Congrats! Once you get them dialed in, sounds like you may have already, you should be good to go in the sub dept those are beasts!

H

Hubbard32

Audioholic Intern
Look into JL Audio they make some of the best in the world. (At least I think so ) Plenty of thump Don't randomly say that you need a huge sub I picked up to 2 JL Audio 10 inch subs with thump to spare They where replacing a focal 13 inch sub and blew it away
Old post.. I know!

What size room do you have the 2 10" JL's in? I assume they are the E110's?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis